Major Earthquake Strikes Off Chile Coast, Tsunami Warning Issued

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 08:53 pm
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/major-earthquake-strikes-chile-coast-tsunami-warning-issued-n69266

I was just informed of this about an hour ago. I've already gone through one of these except I think I am in the path of this tsunami. What I did notice today is the birds left.

This time I have no car and there are no sirens. Does anyone know what countries or cities are possibly in the path of the tsunami if there is one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,834 • Replies: 7
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 08:58 pm
@trying2learn,
A lot of quakes in the last few weeks.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 09:02 pm
@trying2learn,
So far, according to Google news, all the dire tsunami warnings are along the So. American coast. However, that doesn't mean a lot at this early stage of the game. Here in Hawaii, the local Civil Defense has instituted a tsunami watch (one step below a 'warning') and are saying that if a tsunami does roll out this way across the Pacific it will be about 3 a.m. local time here.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 09:05 pm
A magnitude-8.2 earthquake struck Tuesday evening off the coast of Chile, triggering a tsunami warning for the South American coast.

Rap
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 09:14 pm
@raprap,
I've just googled and one site said tsunami warnings were called off except for the immediate area and neighboring countries. I think that was the Guardian. Saw somewhere else that California would get 2 to 3 feet if anything.

There are some small photos on the main google news page that look bad, but I haven't clicked on them yet, reading here.
Edit - just looked, those were on the google image site and must have been from the last very big quake there.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 09:28 pm
Thanks all, from what you wrote I am north so I won't worry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 09:42 pm
The Guardian is doing live updates:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/tsunami-warning-for-chile-sparks-evacuation-live-updates
trying2learn

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 04:37 pm
@ossobuco,
The birds are back!
0 Replies