May Day march

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:46 pm
It's the first of May - May Day - here in Melbourne. I'd planned to march again, after a 5 year lapse. But here I am, sitting at my computer in my pyjamas, with a cold.

So ... will any of you be marching today or tomorrow, which ever the case might be?
Is May Day celebrated where you live?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,108 • Replies: 28
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:28 pm
Damn! Missed it!

I am sooooooo in trouble...

heehee.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:34 pm
It starts in about 30 minutes here in Melbourne, dlowan. Maybe if you rush you can make it to Adelaide's march? :wink:

I always enjoyed the old marches ... taking it in turns to march with the Chileans one year, the plumbers the next, the kurds the following year. Not sure why I lapsed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:37 pm
Ditto.

people stopped reminding me?

many of my friends ar ein jobs where they more or less have to - or they organise the thing - so they know.

got kinda sad.

the Chileans - or all the South Americans are great to march with, eh?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:44 pm
Yes, they are. And the Greeks! Love 'em!

I started marching with different groups after the teacher unions in Melbourne became so conservative. Not much joy in that group! Sad

And I always loved the speeches at the end ..... Often quite moving, almost a religious feel to them. Ah, & the old comrades from the 30s! Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:34 pm
I need a contingent of manly men to Morris Dance, thus assuring me of a bountiful veggie crop.
Morris dancing has come under negative comment in recent years . It appears to be so gay. well, Im here to tell you that My garden has been piss poor in the last 3 years > So, Im about to try this as a last resort and, as its MayDay, Ill bring the coffee, No flavored coffees, just plain old french dark roast steam brewed and served hot with sugar.

OK dancers, LINE UP ALPHABETICALLY ACCORDING TO HEIGHT
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:31 am
"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, Florida State football coach.

The only thing I know about May Day is that the Soviets used to parade all their missiles through the streets of Moscow. What kind of marching do you do? Military type, where you keep in step and do rhythmic chants? Or is it like a protest march?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:34 am
It is like a fun celebration march.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:35 am
Morris dancers are a strange, fearsome thing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 01:53 am
Yes, they are! More of them, I say! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:04 am
Tarantulas wrote:
The only thing I know about May Day is that the Soviets used to parade all their missiles through the streets of Moscow. What kind of marching do you do? Military type, where you keep in step and do rhythmic chants? Or is it like a protest march?

Ah, Tarantula <sigh>, it's none of the things you described. I can speak about what we do here in Melbourne: There are no missiles, no there is no military marching & it's not so much a protest, but a CELEBRATION. Very Happy
What are we celebrating? Our identity as workers, our solidarity with the oppressed - here & abroad -, our identification with with our fellow man & woman ..... Really, it's very nice walking through the centre of the city with like-minded people ....something to do with trying to create a better world. You should try it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:08 am
[quote="Tarantulas]The only thing I know about May Day is that the Soviets used to parade all their missiles through the streets of Moscow. What kind of marching do you do? Military type, where you keep in step and do rhythmic chants? Or is it like a protest march?[/quote]

1 May is a day when workers around the world celebrate their contribution to society - since 1889. And in many countries - in Europe, Africa, Australia and elsewhere - it is a public holiday, because ...

May Day is as well in medieval and modern Europe, the (public) holiday for the celebration of the return of spring.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:19 am
Walter

I guess the meaning of MayDay evolves, in different cultures ... Here in Australia it has become the focus of all sorts of struggles/celebrations. And as we have such a multicultural population, each group seems to bring it's own concerns to the occaision.

But hey, remember the 40 hour week? That was one of the traditional reasons for celebration. It now seems like Camelot, a dream for many workers .. Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:26 am
I'm curious: Can anyone tell me if May Day is celebrated in the US?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:26 am
Mmmh - seems, we going from 35 or 37.5 hours/week to 40 and more, too Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:29 am
Say nothing of the work people take home, Walter. Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:35 am
Hey! Do you guys get a holiday? They do in Brisbane!

We celebrate Labour Day another time.

(Brisbane still gets a show day, too!)
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:46 am
Well, the single thing I know it is a day off and there are many demonstrations of the trade unionists.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:48 am
Which guys are you asking, dlowan? Certainly we don't in Melbourne. But why not, I ask? As good a reason as any.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:54 am
You'll do!

I was asking everybody, really.
0 Replies