sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:03 pm
Fishin's thread on social capital reminded me of this, it's kind of related.

Yesterday, I was talking to a friend about the fact that he doesn't want to move, but agreed to since his wife really wants to. He was talking about the fact that since he's basically doing it for her, when it comes to selecting the actual house he has some... at this point he was trying to think of the right word. I suggested, "Hand?" He looked at me totally blankly. Then I tried to explain the concept of "hand".

E.G. and I use it all the time. I think it came from Seinfeld. George usually has no hand and is trying to get some. It's kind of like leverage. The closest dictionary definition I've found is:

Quote:
The strength or force of one's position: negotiated from a strong hand.

Ah, I just figured out how to look for it on Google. Here we go:

Quote:
"I have no power. Why should she have the upper hand? Once in my life I would like the upper hand. I have no hand. No hand at all. She has the hand. I have no hand."
- George, in "The Pez Dispenser"

"We all want the hand. Hand is tough to get."
- Jerry, in "The Pez Dispenser"

"A man without hand is not a man. I've got so much hand I'm coming out of my gloves."
- George, in "The Pez Dispenser"

So it looks like it comes from "the upper hand." Hmm. We use it more generally... "I just cleaned the whole house, watched the kid for 3 hours, and made dinner. Do I have any hand yet?"

I think I answered the question I started out with -- where is it from, Seinfeld? -- but will go ahead and post. Anyone else use "hand" in this general sense? How do you use it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 24
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:16 pm
I've only heard it used that way once or twice but assumed it had a different source. I assumed it referred to "authority" or "control". i.e. when something is "put in your hands" it means that you have control over it and you have some decision making authority.

I assumed they meant that by doing something they expected to be given a decision making voice.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
The proper term, of course, is compeltry - at least in east Texas.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:24 pm
"Compeltry"?? Really? Use it in a sentence.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:26 pm
I use it as in poker. "I've got a good hand" or "I don't have much of a hand."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:28 pm
I'll do what I want. The old lady ain't got no compeltry over me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:30 pm
omigod I love it roger. That's a new one.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:34 pm
'Course, iffen my old lady heard me say that, she'd have herself a hissy fit.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:35 pm
If this hand were any worse, Eva, it'd look like a foot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:33 pm
I might like to get into this very interesting discussion, but i've decided that from now on, i'm gonna play my hand close to the cuff . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 03:07 pm
That's "vest" not "cuff", isn't it?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:02 pm
...no chest ... you play your hand close to your chest don't you?

I've only heard it used as given - not quite as you use it Soz
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:36 pm
I've never heard this term before; it seems to be a synonym for clout or influence or (not in a creepy sense) domination. E. g. you build up relationship capital by doing chores, being attentive and watching the movie your spouse wants to watch (even if you hate it) and then you can ask for ... something - sex, a backrub, a night out, your spouse to go to that wedding with you even though your spouse hates this cousin, or whatever.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:36 pm
Interesting...I tried to look up compeltry in the dictionary but it wasn't there.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:05 am
If I have hand to moderate all posts of A2K, I will move this thread into English Forum. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:19 am
Nope. No knowledge of hand here.
Interesting how people/couples/groups come up with their own language shorthand.

In a group of people I know from my days in western Ontario, we use "Damn mallards", as shorthand for "that person doesn't get the point, and never will".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:21 am
hmmmmm

that playing cards thing - some are playing close to the chest, others close to the vest, and others close to the cuff

I prefer to play my long suit first.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:22 am
Not in the dictionary, Individual. Geez, I don't know whether to believe that or not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:26 am
I can't believe it! Google hasn't caught this one yet ...

Quote:
Did you mean: completer

Your search - compeltry - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing "compeltry".

Suggestions:

- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
- Try different keywords.
- Try more general keywords.

It's been a while since a search for an unusual word posted here, hasn't led back here from Google.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:26 am
ehBeth, exactly. We have a lot of those, a distressing number from TV ("Worf" is a verb, meaning to secure the perimeter -- lock doors and such -- "Did you Worf?"), was curious about this one.

We use "hand" pretty much exactly in the Seinfeld sense, just a little bit more benign.

OristarA, didja see this?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23949
0 Replies