Trader Joe's's?

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Wow. We don't have supermarket branded whiskey here in NYC. Europeans are so cosmopolitan AKA lucky so and so's.

We have supermarket branded whiskey here in Arizona. NY is so behind the times.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 02:30 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

I prefer Irish scotch.

There ain't no such animal - at least not round here. You'd get laughed at for saying that in all the countries of the UK and Ireland. Only whisky (no 'e') from Scotland is called "Scotch whisky" or just "Scotch". Irish whiskey (with an 'e') is just that. Maybe some people outside Scotland and Ireland think of every whisky that isn't bourbon as "scotch"?

I have to say that watching Mad Men on TV has made me curious about Canadian whisky, which Don Draper seems to like.

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 03:16 am
@contrex,
Canadian whisky is heavily dependent on corn mash (corn as in "maize"), but it is not like American "bourbon." That's because the flavor is informed by the use of rye. Some people use the terms rye whisky and Canadian whisky interchangeably. It is a milder and smoother whisky, although that is a reference only to taste--alcohol content is equivalent to American, Irish and Scots whiskys.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 03:23 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
Question? Do Aldi's and Trader Joe elsewhere have the coin (Quarter) lock on the shopping carts?

In Britain Aldi and Lidl stores have always had this and the other store chains are using trolley retention schemes of various kinds. Tesco have started using trolleys with a locking device - if you take the trolley outside a zone marked with a red line at the boundary, a wheel locks and you can't push it any further.

One problem is that some people (mainly chavs) don't just dump the trolleys in the car parks; in urban areas they push the trolley to their home. Kids use them for rides, they end up in alleys or in the street, or in canals and rivers. You can tell the rough end of town by the dumped trolleys. The town litter people or the supermarkets have to collect them, which costs money. Sometimes people steal them altogether and use them for hauling stuff about, like building materials.

Some towns have bye-laws - for example in Leicester if you are caught dumping a trolley outside its owning supermarket's boundary you can be fined 80 pounds (about 135 US dollars).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 03:45 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

contrex wrote:
. I have found the Lidl Scotch whisky range the equal of any other supermarket brand.

is any supermarket brand whisky good?

Time was, the mass-appeal supermarkets used to sell well-known brands of alcohol - Teacher's, Haig, Gilbey's, Martell, etc, and alongside these would be cheaper 'own label' stuff, intended for people who just wanted to get drunk or who didn't care what their booze tasted like. In fact own-label grocery stuff in general had an image of being for poor people. Then the chains started going for the premium level customers - they introduced ranges like Tesco Finest, Sainsbury's Taste The Difference, etc. Now all the chains have basic and premium level offerings, and Aldi, Lidl, Netto etc are aiming to capture a slice of both markets. The British grocery business is probably the most competitive in the world. The UK also has one of the most advanced private label markets in the world (valued at around $100 billion). For the grocery market, private label had around 55% market share in 2008.

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:09 am
@contrex,
mea culpa I meant 'whiskey'

I have see 'trollys' left abandoned everywhere here. I've seen wheel lock system being used, but with limited effect. The quarter lock works like a charm, but only Aldi is the only user.

Rap
contrex

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 05:52 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
I have see 'trollys'

Trolleys are what people in Britspeak countries call them, I think N. Americans call them something else.
raprap

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:09 am
@contrex,
Grocery Carts--four syllables beats two.
You beat us up on 'bonnet' rather than 'hood'. So we had to trump.

Rap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:59 am
I've always heard shopping cart--after all, you might not be buying groceries.
contrex

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 09:05 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I've always heard shopping cart--after all, you might not be buying groceries.

I see them in auto parts and electronics stores and also in Ikea.
0 Replies