"Social Capital"

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 02:20 pm
Letty, I agree with the thesis of your link; there are different levels of generosity. Throwing money at a begger says more about the giver than he/she wants to reveal. My giving is based upon giving back some of the many generosities I received during my life, and because I'm able. It has much to do with how lucky we are to have been born in this country that provided us with free education and the opportunity to take advantage of our learning. The two primary charities that I support every year are the Second Harvest Food Bank and Habitat for Humanities. I also buy food for beggers once-in-awhile, and give to schools in foreign countries where I have visited. I think I'm also pretty generous to our friends. I'm not sure what kind of person I would have turned out to be in another country or environment. I'm just glad that my life in the US has been both rewarding and a relatively happy one. Can't expect more out of our short life on this planet.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 02:24 pm
Thanks for the link Walter that is exactly what I meant. A union friend of mine came back from Germany in love with how German companies treated the employees and the the unions that represnted them.

Most companies in the US are the complete opposite, not all of them but lots of them. Very autocratic and autocratic towards the work force.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 02:28 pm
JD, The management styles differ in the US from most other countries, and that includes our government. Very few people seems worried about how the Patriot Act is intruding into our private lives - secretly. Most who know just don't give a damn. It's scary.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 02:35 pm
That is so true c.i. but I have not given up hope. Once the eonomic effects of this war hit things will change. Or if they have to reinstitute the draft that would do it for sure.
0 Replies