Do you feel it is clear?

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
"Lacking of the talents in top position of leadership who establish rules and enforce the rules is a problem of China, and it is also a problem of the Legend. At the present, it is domestically rare of the internationally strategic talents who can guide a team go abroad and occupy international markets. "
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 538 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
A lack of talent in the top positions of leadership--which establish rules and enforce those rule--is a problem in China; it also a problem of the Legend. At present, it is rare that there is a domestic source for the international strategic talents needed to guide a team which will go abroad into international markets.

I hope that i have correctly stated that which you wished to state. You capitalize "Legend"--without further information about what you mean by Legend, i cannot work further with that phrase. I changed the beginning sented to "A lack of talent . . . " both because, as i have pointed out before, English likes to have articles with it's nominative nouns for clarity and specificity. I changed "the talents" to "talent" because, unless you are referring to a specific set of talents to which you have previously alluded, the use of an article there is inappropriate. If however, you wished to preserve talents in the phrase, you might write it thus: "A lack of the talents needed in the top . . . "

I changed "position" to "positions" because you follow that with a third personal plural verb--establish. If you leave the word as position, the you have the locution: "the top position"--which would only refer the the highest ranking person in Chinese leadership. If you mean more than one person in a leadership position, as is implied by the use of a plural form of the verb conjugation, then the word "positions" is necessary to "agree" with the verb. I changed "who" to "which" because in that dependent clause, the predicate nominative is "positions of leadership." Such positions are occupied by person, but a nor persons themselves. Therefore, one would use "which" rather than "who."

I was uncertain as to the exact meaning of the last sentence, and so have rendered it as i belive you mean to express yourself. If you could explain what Legend means, and what you meant in your last sentence, i might be able to render you more useful service.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:17 am
By the way, in the locution: "At present," one does not commonly use an article, even though an article is often required elsewhere in English. This is simply an example of an idiomatic usage--"at present" is commonly written in that form, without an atricle.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:35 pm
You've exactly written out what I wanted to express, Set. Smile
Legend is the biggest computer company in China. Check the link:
http://www.legendgrp.com/

If you have spare time and be interested in -- please tell me how you feel about that briefing of the Legend's changing its English name:
In http://www.legendgrp.com/ , click the title:

Legend changes English company name to "Lenovo Group Limited" NEW

Is the briefing good at English grammar, or is it actually a choppy briefing?
0 Replies