7 ABC Stations Censor 'Nightline'

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
Capitulating to apparent pressure from the Bush White House, 7 ABC stations told not to air Nightline.
______________________________________________________________________________________

(CNN) -- Sinclair Broadcast Group has ordered its seven ABC stations not to broadcast Friday's "Nightline" that will air the names and photographs of the more than 500 U.S. troops killed in the Iraq war.

In a statement online, the Sinclair group said the "Nightline" program "appears to be motivated by a political agenda designed to undermine the efforts of the United States in Iraq."

Sinclair's decision, announced Thursday, drew angry calls from the public and a sharp response from ABC News.

"We respectfully disagree with Sinclair's decision to pre-empt 'Nightline's' tribute to America's fallen soldiers," ABC News said in a statement. "The 'Nightline' broadcast is an expression of respect which simply seeks to honor those who have laid down their lives for this country."

Some of the stations have received many calls and e-mails in response to Sinclair's decision.

"I have not gotten one positive response," said an assignment desk editor at WSYX, the ABC station in Columbus, Ohio.

WEAR in Pensacola, Florida, has been inundated with phone calls and e-mails. A man who answered the phone in the station's newsroom said people mostly wanted to know why the decision was made.

On the Web site for WLOS in Asheville, North Carolina, the station invited viewers to e-mail the station and said it would forward the messages to Sinclair.

The company's other ABC stations are in St. Louis, Missouri; Charleston, West Virginia; Winston-Salem, North Carolina and Springfield, Massachusetts.

The show, titled "The Fallen," will air at 11:35 p.m. Friday. In it, newsman Ted Koppel will read the names of the U.S. troops killed in action while their pictures are shown to viewers.

As of Thursday, 533 U.S. troops have been killed in action in the Iraq war; another 204 troops have died from nonhostile incidents.

Sinclair general counsel Barry Faber confirmed the company told its ABC affiliates not to air Friday's Nightline.

"We find it to be contrary to public interest," he said.

ABC said that on the first anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks it aired the names and pictures of all those who died on that day.

"ABC News will continue to report on all facets of the war in Iraq and the war on terrorism in a manner consistent with the standards which ABC News has set for decades," it said.

Sinclair's statement said ABC is politicizing the war.

"Mr. Koppel and 'Nightline' are hiding behind this so-called tribute in an effort to highlight only one aspect of the war effort and in doing so to influence public opinion against the military action in Iraq," the statement said.

According to campaign finance records, four of Sinclair's top executives each have given the maximum campaign contribution of $2,000 to the Bush-Cheney re-election campaign.

The executives have not given any donations to the campaign of Sen. John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic nominee, the records showed.

Sinclair owns and operates, programs, or provides sales services to 62 stations in 39 markets, according to its Web site.

In addition its ABC outlets, Sinclair's television group includes 20 Fox, 19 WB, six UPN, three CBS and four NBC affiliates, and two independent stations.

It reaches approximately 24 percent of all U.S. television households, according to the Web site.

ABC News will show the tribute live on its large television screen in New York's Times Square.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/29/abc.nightline/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,761 • Replies: 42
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:13 am
Could you explain where in this article there is even a hint that "Capitulating to apparent pressure from the Bush White House, 7 ABC stations told not to air Nightline. " I personally don't see this as being a strictly "political" decision by Nightline to run through this list of names, but the Sinclair Broadcast Group certainly has the right to decide not to air the show.

Since I don't see how Nightline would be helping or hurting either candidate by doing this, what is the big deal? Unless of course, Nightline is doing this from a political motive, which then makes your statement understandable. So my question to you is this. Do you believe Nightline is airing this in hopes of damaging George Bush's re-election campaign?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
Anybody who would think ABC, perhaps the most liberal of the alphabet networks, could be coerced by the White House needs to look at some swampland I have to sell.

I am however impressed that at least Sinclair is/are a patriot. Kudos.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:22 am
Patriots are not those who would censor freedom of speech.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:56 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Patriots are not those who would censor freedom of speech.

Anyone does have the write to speak. But people are not required to put the speaker on TV. Nightline has every right to run the program they are running. But the Sinclair group has the right to decide not to broadcast it. That is not censoring freedom of speech. If it were, then if I produced a program on the pros of the war in Iraq, ABC should be forced to air it in order to not censor my freedom of speech. And that is what your comment would suggest.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:09 am
The Sinclair "group" are not allowing that it is the individual's right and responsibility to either watch the show or turn it off. It's censorship by any intelligent description. The Sincalir group is presuming that their viewers should not be allowed to see the pictures and names of those who have lost their lives in the war. It's as transparant as Saran Wrap.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:26 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The Sinclair "group" are not allowing that it is the individual's right and responsibility to either watch the show or turn it off. It's censorship by any intelligent description. The Sincalir group is presuming that their viewers should not be allowed to see the pictures and names of those who have lost their lives in the war. It's as transparant as Saran Wrap.

So you believe that a private business should be forced to air material that they do not wish to air, correct? If that is the case, my local cable station is censoring my ability to watch Cub games because they do not carry WGN.

Maybe my objection to your statement was not clear, since technically, both my cable provider and the Sinclair Group are practicing a legal form of censorship. But they are not practicing, as you put it, censorship of freedom of speech. They have not censored anyone's freedom of speech.
They are deciding what they as a business will use to create income.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:31 am
I am however impressed that at least Sinclair is/are a patriot. Kudos.

Kudos my foot. Anything to keep the cost of war an abstraction in an election year.

Foxfyre must think we're really naive.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:42 am
Use any rationalization you want -- the purpose of not airing the show is as obvious as the nose on your face. To equate the dead from this war to a Cub's game is very telling indeed.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:45 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Use any rationalization you want -- the purpose of not airing the show is as obvious as the nose on your face. To equate the dead from this war to a Cub's game is very telling indeed.

You need to improve your comprehension skills. I did not equate the dead from this war to a Cub's game. But then you have not understood nor answered my questions, so I really do understand why you would try to deflect the discussion by making that comment.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:50 am
You guys......look it's okay to start a war...it's okay for people to die in it.....it's okay to broadcast how noble the war is every five minutes.....it's just not okay to specifically talk about the dead as real humans......too personal....too messy......too much pressure on the average American......this whole thing is an act of patriotic love.......no need in stressing anyone out.........
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:58 am
No, I think you need to improve your comprehension skills. This is not a question of their ability to air the show. It's censorship and there really is no predecedent you can name for doing it without coming up with an example that makes sense.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:00 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
You guys......look it's okay to start a war...it's okay for people to die in it.....it's okay to broadcast how noble the war is every five minutes.....it's just not okay to specifically talk about the dead as real humans......too personal....too messy......too much pressure on the average American......this whole thing is an act of patriotic love.......no need in stressing anyone out.........

As I have stated, I have no problem with the show airing. I personally am all for anything that will honor those who have fought and died in Iraq. I don't personally believe that the show is politically motivated. But Info claims that the Bush White House has pressured to Sinclair Group to pull the plug on their stations, which he cannot back up with any facts. Light is claiming that the Sinclair Group is somehow censoring our freedom of speech by making a business decision not to air the program on their stations. I am only attempting to point out (what I see as) the fallacy in their statements.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:06 pm
There's no question, just like on this site, that they are a private enterprise and can censor the show. Whether they will get away with it or cause more problems for themselves and this administration is another story. Of course, there's interpretation and what looks like jumping to conclusions here. Of course, it's to each individual's sense of fairness to intelligently decide why they would censor the show. Business decisions are not given a pass -- they are often as flawed if not more so than a personal decision. May I remind that Enron as well as others also made business decisons. This is the basic Achilles' Heel of laizzes faire -- that only honest, upstanding citizens run private enterprises and the people we can't trust are only in government.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:22 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
There's no question, just like on this site, that they are a private enterprise and can censor the show. Whether they will get away with it or cause more problems for themselves and this administration is another story. Of course, there's interpretation and what looks like jumping to conclusions here. Of course, it's to each individual's sense of fairness to intelligently decide why they would censor the show. Business decisions are not given a pass -- they are often as flawed if not more so than a personal decision. May I remind that Enronas well as others also made business decisons. This is the basic Achilles' Heel of laizzes faire -- that only honest, upstanding citizens run private enterprises and the people we can't trust are only in government.

Sometimes Light I tend to be a stickler for language and admittedly I can go overboard at times. I had a problem with your statement that they were censoring our freedom of speech. Are they censoring what they are sending out over the airways? Absolutely. Is their decision politically motivated? Possibly. Was their decision due to pressure from the White House as stated by Info? If so, the article does not say it, thus his statement is inflammatory and unprovable. People too often make mountains out of molehills, which is maybe what I have done here with your statement.

But please, I did not compare our dead military personel to a Cubs game. Reread my post if you don't believe me. I have too many friends and family serving in Iraq to do that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:01 pm
I was also getting the meaning as your precedent of the Cubs game was the best you could do and it was weak. Just playing the Devil's Advocate. Of course, I am sure you do not believe it.

The point is that what they are doing is a poor business decision as it is opening them up for the same interpretation and criticism of trivializing the deaths. That may not be their intent but I suspect this decision was arrived at my a committee. Ever been to a corporate committe meeting? A camel is a horse designed by a committee. This is what happens with a group mentality. It just goes further to prove how inidividual thought and creativity can be just as void in our system as in any system. We are a republic and allowed to vote for the run-of-the-mill attorney of our choice. Or, perhaps, second rate businessmen who run for office after being dubiously successful in business.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:25 pm
Quote:
`Nightline' divides audience
BY LIZ HALLORAN
The Hartford Courant
HARTFORD, Conn. - (KRT) - ABC newsman Ted Koppel's plan to devote tonight's "Nightline" to reading the names of the more than 700 U.S. servicemen and women killed in action in Iraq has stirred anger and praise, and prompted one media company to bar its stations from airing the program.

Maryland-based Sinclair Broadcast Group said Thursday that the unique program is politically motivated and ordered its seven ABC affiliates, including WGGB in Springfield, Mass., not to air it.

"While the Sinclair Broadcast Group honors the memory of the brave members of the military who have sacrificed their lives in the service of our country, we do not believe such political statements should be disguised as news content," said Barry Faber, Sinclair's counsel, in a prepared statement issued in response to a request for comment.

The controversy comes as the American public is getting a look at photographs of flag-draped coffins returning from Iraq, and while a national debate is underway over the Bush administration's attempt to keep such images from the public eye.

Sinclair owns 62 television stations in 39 markets and its employees contributed more than $174,000 to political campaigns in 2000, 98 percent of which went to Republicans. Sinclair has sought to distinguish itself as a conservative news source and in recent months has undertaken an effort to report good news out of Iraq.

ABC News, which is owned by Disney, issued a statement disagreeing with Sinclair's decision to pre-empt the program, and characterizing the planned "Nightline" as "an expression of respect which simply seeks to honor those who have laid down their lives for this country."

Leroy Sievers, "Nightline" executive producer, said the hubbub over the program has surprised him.

"It never occurred to me that people would react this way," Sievers said. "Two weeks ago, President Bush said it's important to honor the sacrifice of people who died. That's what we're doing."

Sievers said both he and Koppel had been embedded with the 3rd Infantry Division during the early phase of the war, and had recently become concerned that the network's regular "In the Line of Duty" feature was not enough to recognize those who died.

"We wanted to make them individuals," he said. "Whether you agree with the war or not, these people are over there in our name, and paid the price with their lives.

"At least we can give them their names," he said. Some critics, including Lisa de Moraes of the Washington Post, have said ABC is using the program to pump up viewership during sweeps week, a charge Sievers denies.

"Unfortunately my defense is I'm too stupid to know it was sweeps," he said. "Going into this, we never thought this would be a ratings winner."

The half-hour program will be expanded several minutes to accommodate the reading of the names, which have been certified by the Defense Department. Koppel will read the roll while showing two photographs at a time with each person's name, age, rank, and service.

Jim Doyle of the Vietnam Veterans Association said the organization fully supports Koppel and the "Nightline" effort - especially in a month when the casualty figures are the highest since 1971.

"We think it's absolutely the right idea," said Doyle, who lives in Fresno. "They won't let us see the flag-draped coffins, at least we should see their faces."

Russell K. Terry, a Vietnam veteran who runs the website "http://www.iraqwarveterans.org" said he believes the "American public is entitled to see and hear everything - that's what they are over there fighting for."

"I support the fact that we hear all their names - and it doesn't matter to me who reads them. It could be Howard Stern for all I care," he said. "Everybody needs to know."

All of this has a somewhat familiar ring to Av Westin, who spent 55 years in the television business - including running ABC News during the Vietnam War.

"Each week during the Vietnam War we posted on the evening news a body count which listed the number of North Vietnamese or Viet Cong who were killed as well as American casualties," he said. "As the war went on, the listing of the American casualties became much more of a political factor than it had been at the beginning of the war.

"This was particularly true as the public's perception of the war was shifting from `We're in it,' to `Why are we there?'"

Westin said he believes that Sinclair's action, which is an owner's right, is an example of how the war has become politicized and predicted it will lead to criticism of the media company in the communities it serves.

"Sinclair is trying to position itself as a junior Fox News," he said. "Those who don't support the war will come away from the `Nightline' program angrier, and those who support it will come away with resolve that we can't walk away from this."

Chris Westerkamp, station manager at WGGB in Springfield, said Sinclair "wants to distinguish itself from other media."

"They have a particular point of view, and it's more conservative, that's all," he said. "If you look at it from their standpoint, there's the feeling that the media is more liberal than it should be and this is a way to take a different tack."

As to what ABC viewers in Springfield will see tonight in place of "Nightline" and the list of war dead, Westerkamp said: "I don't know yet. We'll have something. Maybe a sitcom."

© 2004, The Hartford Courant

Quote:
Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) issued the following letter today to Mr. David Smith, President and CEO of Sinclair Broadcast Group, in response to the preemption of this evening's Nightline program:

I write to strongly protest your decision to instruct Sinclair's ABC affiliates to preempt this evening's Nightline program. I find deeply offensive Sinclair's objection to Nightline's intention to broadcast the names and photographs of Americans who gave their lives in service to our country in Iraq.

I supported the President's decision to go to war in Iraq, and remain a strong supporter of that decision. But every American has a responsibility to understand fully the terrible costs of war and the extraordinary sacrifices it requires of those brave men and women who volunteer to defend the rest of us; lest we ever forget or grow insensitive to how grave a decision it is for our government to order Americans into combat. It is a solemn responsibility of elected officials to accept responsibility for our decision and its consequences, and, with those who disseminate the news, to ensure that Americans are fully informed of those consequences.

There is no valid reason for Sinclair to shirk its responsibility in what I assume is a very misguided attempt to prevent your viewers from completely appreciating the extraordinary sacrifices made on their behalf by Americans serving in Iraq. War is an awful, but sometimes necessary business. Your decision to deny your viewers an opportunity to be reminded of war's terrible costs, in all their heartbreaking detail, is a gross disservice to the public, and to the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. It is, in short, sir, unpatriotic. I hope it meets with the public opprobrium it most certainly deserves.

Most of the people at Free Republic are angry about this, and sending hateful emails to ABC - for example:

Quote:
One of the reasons I took ABC news off my DirecTV list (and I have to order it separately, because I'm in a rural area) is because I dislike the clear bias against our president in wartime. In my opinion, that's unAmerican.

Additionally, I'm going to make it a point to find out who Ted Koppel's Nightline sponsors are, and contact THEM about my anger over his program tonight.

Anytime a perceived liberal biased network shows America's war dead, it is NOT to support or respect the dead, it is to denigrate America's war effort. That's very clear to, not only me, but my friends. Many of us have relatives in the military, and wherever they serve, they are quite clear as to who their philosophical friends and ENEMIES are in the media.

ABC should be ashamed. Apparently Ted has no real content, he's climbing on American heroes for his "show." I'm disgusted.

Sincerely,

Judith Anne (my full name)

I told them they are overreacting. Without seeing the show, it's impossible to tell if it's exploitation or honorable. If it's honorable, I think it would be a very good thing. Our children need more heroes. There's too much Michael Jackson and Scott Peterson in their little lives.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:47 pm
Senator John McCain rebukes Sinclair's decision.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/30/abc.nightline/index.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:59 pm
Yay McCain!

I agree, Tarantulas. The way I think about it is, what would the reaction be if there were a similar special about the victims of 9/11? There have in fact been many of them, in various formats, and overall I've found them moving. If a new one came up NOW, I'd be a little suspicious, timing-wise. But as the conflict in Iraq gets ever-more deadly -- I think I remember that April, not yet finished, was the month with the most American fatalities -- now seems as good of a time as any to commemorate these other lost lives. 9/11 is a specific date, easily commemorated -- how do you choose a date for the Iraq conflict?

What bothers me beyond all else is that the decision whether people (in the areas those 7 stations broadcast to anyway) watch it or not is being made by a corporate entity who clearly, by their contributions, supports Bush. That's stinky, to me.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:03 pm
There is evidence surfacing that Sinclair Broadcasting has made political contributions to the Bush/Cheney ticket and is even more pro-Iraq war than FOX News -- if such a thing is possible.

I will be posting more on this as developments and sources are made available to me.
0 Replies