The impact of the Iraqi prison pictures

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:05 pm
Hmmmmmm.....hope they can be prosecuted this time, if 'tis so.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:16 pm
MOU, The reason this kind of thing happens is because the people running our country today do not understand how wars can bring out the worst in humans. I've heard horror stories from Vietnam vets that go beyond what anybody would term 'decency.' Bush's ideals are misplaced, and everybody loses.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:56 pm
The military spokesman (the regular greenzone fellow with the square jaw and eyebrows that just shout 'resolve') suggested tonight that they would be prosecuted under civil law.

cav

I don't think withdrawl is in the cards here. Whereas Viet Nam could be vacated with no particular consequences, other than re military ego, Iraq is very much different.

If Iraq descends into some sort of civil war, there are too many possible consequences of the ugly sort, including the fall of the Saudi regime and increased instability (from strengthened extremists) of other arab nations in the area. Not least being Pakistan, with it's pantry of nukes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:59 pm
blatham, I think that's only a small part of what can really happen if we pull out of Iraq. The whole middle east and other parts of the world like Indonesia and Malaysia would turn into battlegrounds. We're barely hanging onto the Philippines, and we don't have any military to spare any place on this planet.
0 Replies