The Pitfalls of Marrying an American Woman.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:49 pm
@fbaezer,
Humour.

Thank you.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:51 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer, I agree most Americans eat too damn fast.

I've been known to be sitting there with 3/4's of my meal uneaten when everyone else is finished.
I've always eaten slowly.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:53 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

Why is it that some Americans have so much humor and some other Americans just don't get it?

It's a puzzlement for sure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:06 pm
@fbaezer,
I have eaten with Mexicans enough times to notice that as well. It is almost a ceremony when they eat. I am of the wolf it down at all costs school of eating and have subsequently sat and waited on the Mexicans for long periods.
chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I bet you'd take your time if it was okra.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:18 pm
@chai2,
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I ate dinner with an aunt and uncle, whom I had not seen in years. To be polite, I took less than a teaspoonful of okra. Well, after the rest of my plate was clean, I worked up the gumption to put the okra in my mouth. I nearly gagged, but I got it down. Never again, to be polite or whatever.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:21 pm
@chai2,
Oh how coy.

And we can be sure that African-Americans are treated just like other "Americans" everywhere else in the world because of course they were born and raised here, and prejudice based on ethnicity and skin coloring is limited to America, and doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I ate dinner with an aunt and uncle, whom I had not seen in years. To be polite, I took less than a teaspoonful of okra. Well, after the rest of my plate was clean, I worked up the gumption to put the okra in my mouth. I nearly gagged, but I got it down. Never again, to be polite or whatever.

A sure sign of old age, losing the willingness to do things we dont want to do.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:24 pm
@fbaezer,
Probably for the same reason some Mexicans, Brits, French, Tibetans and Egyptians have so much humor and some others just don't get it.

The thing is that "getting it" tends to be in the eye of the person who thinks himself as hip.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh how coy.

And we can be sure that African-Americans are treated just like other "Americans" everywhere else in the world because of course they were born and raised here, and prejudice based on ethnicity and skin coloring is limited to America, and doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.

I wasn't being coy.

You don't know his skin color, or if he has an accent, or even speaks Spanish (he pretty much doesn't)
I'm sure he didn't walk into places over there and say "I'm of Mexican heritage" Anyone with an ear could tell he was American.
He doesn't wear serapes or sombreros, and I don't think he took any bags of oranges with him to sell on street corners.
He just looks like a regular guy.

BTW, below is a video he once showed me. We both died laughing....

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:51 pm
@chai2,
Oh please. Who is suggesting he wears a serape or selling oranges? Climb down from your high horse.

My wife is Puerto Rican. If you met her tomorrow, you wouldn't think she was Swedish and it wouldn't be because she met silly stereotypes about her ethnicity.

If you're friend is Mexican in anything other than his name the chances are damned good that he looks like other Mexicans. People make judgments about people based on how they look. Maybe they didn't in Scotland, but don't cop some silly ass attitude that it is somehow racist to think they might.

It was a honest question deserving of an honest, not snarky, answer.

Pardon me if I assumed that someone self-identifying as a Mexican-American might actually have the physical characteristics of a Mexican.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:14 pm
Silly me, I enjoyed the original post but was afraid His Lordship might get heat for bashing women. But the women got the joke however I didn't realize how many thin skinned intellectuals would be able detect racism, anti-Americanism or even fancy that Americans have a stockpile of dog asses that they are stingy about.

Some of you folks suck the air out of a room, lighten up, you'll live longer.

You're a good man Edgar for keepin the okra down. Remind me to tell you about the time I was a dinner guest where the host served something U/I. It was so dreadful, that I was afraid it was apparent so I asked to be served some additional slop hoping that would dispell any notion of ungratefullness.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:26 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank goodness this forum has such a wonderful member as glitterbag to tell us what is important and what is not.
Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Usually, i keep my fork in my right hand, and my knife in the left.

I watch people in restaurants, and I see most of them cutting with their right, putting the knife down, and switching the fork from the left to the right hand.

Once you notice it, it does look stupid.

We do it the "British" way. Knife in right, fork in left (for a right hander). I've NEVER seen anyone doing what you describe. Would I be considered uncouth in the US?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:17 pm
I mostly eat with a spoon, only using fork or knife when I absolutely have to. I am uncouth.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:42 pm
@Wilso,
No, I don't even think people would notice Wilso.

As far as being uncouth, it's actually just the opposite.

I only noticed it years ago because I was reading some etiquette book or something, about the European way and realized what Americans do is unwieldy.

I don't think I ever consciously seen what lordy described, the cutting, putting both down then picking the fork back up with the left and transferring to the right.

I'll do both, I guess I'm bi-utensil Very Happy

As strange as it may sound, doing it the "American" way seems faster, if only because one has been doing it since childhood.

Related question to all....who eats with their fork with the tines turned downward? I've seen that, and sometimes my husband does it.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:36 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Related question to all....who eats with their fork with the tines turned downward
I do, I eat European method when I have more than a little to cut, then go back to the American method when done. Seeing how the Europeans do it was a Revelation, my first thought was "of course!". My second was " Americans are so dumb".
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:42 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Related question to all....who eats with their fork with the tines turned downward? I've seen that, and sometimes my husband does it.

Can't stab your fork into a steak with the tines up!
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:21 pm
@chai2,
Scandinavians use the convex (curved)side of the fork when eating correctly. It is a a bit of an art to pile things up like that. At least you take smaller portions and eat slower.
I think other nations do the same - except the Germans who tend to showel the food into the mouth and eat very fast.
saab

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:39 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrO3TfJc9Qw

Danish spoken, English text and a Danish wife