What's wrong with this sentence?

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:13 am
There's an "inspirational" sign at my office that's been bothering me. It doesn't sound right, but I can't figure out exactly what's wrong with it. Here it is:

"Going the extra mile for somebody isn't really that far."

So why doesn't this sound right to me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:38 am
It's awkward, although i wouldn't say it is incorrect. Perhaps someone else would say as much.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:40 am
Yeah, I agree with Set. It's bad writing, but not technically incorrect.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:45 am
Actually, this is typical of advertisers and folks hired to come up with this crap. I used to work in an ad agency, and the creative guys who wrote the copy were most often found looking at the ceiling with pens in their mouths, pondering their next triumph or inspiration. Rolling Eyes Sad thing is, most of them can't write for beans. I might have written the statement posted as: "Going that extra mile for somebody is closer than you think."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:55 am
Here is another one that I don't know if it is awkward:

Stretching right before you exercise three times a week isn't going to do it.

Context:
She noted that in her practice she had seen evidence suggesting that stretching needed to be performed daily to generate positive effects. "I tell my patients, `Stretching right before you exercise three times a week isn't going to do it,' " Dr. Beim said. "You need to stretch every day to get its benefit."

----------------------
PS. I don't get what "is going to do it" means.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 05:02 am
Oristar, ". . . isn't going to do it . . ." is currently a locution which means "isn't going to acheive the desired goal" in the context of a discussion of any topic. Similar locutions would be: "isn't going to get it," and "isn't getting it." These are strictly spoken locutions, and it was appropriate in the context you provided, because it was a quote. It would be poor style, however, to use it in a text in which it was not a quote. This is an idiomatic American locution, although it is likely immediately understood by other English speakers.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 05:03 am
It is a bit awkward, oristar. I might have said: "In her practice, Dr. Beim found evidence suggesting that stretching needed to be done on a daily basis for maximum benefit. "I tell the patients, just stretching three times a week before you exercise is not enough. You need to stretch every day to get the best results."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 05:20 am
Thanks Set and Cav. Smile
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:00 am
Inspirational signs, parodied:

www.despair.com/indem.html

Worth a visit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:14 am
That's absotively high-larious, KP, thanks a million . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:15 am
Oh...that is funny, KP.
0 Replies

Mean Guy

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:04 pm
After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that the way the sentence is structured, the adjective "far" modifies the verb phrase "going the extra" mile, which doesn't make much sence. "Far" can describe a "mile" but not the *act* of going a mile. So if I were to rewrite the sentence, I'd change it to "going the extra mile for somebody is not that hard", or "an extra mile for someone is not that far".

Does that sound right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 03:03 am
Of those two, the former seems better, and the latter is perfectly acceptable.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 03:32 am
Eh yes, Set,,
"going the extra mile for somebody might be a piece of cake" Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 03:41 am
Bad Oristar, bad . . .

You're mixing metaphors . . . tsk, tsk . . .
0 Replies

Mean Guy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:56 pm
These little inspirational messages are worthless. Most people either ignore them, or if they do read them, they roll their eyes with sarcasm.

I guess they're a by-product of the corporate ethos: Look busy -- and if you can't find anything to do, make up something. Like writing usueless inspirational signs with bad grammar and posting them all over the office.

I'm one of those lower paid, powerless employees on the time clock who's constatly being forced to do as much work in as little time as possible, so I'm an exception to that rule. I'm lucky if I can get 35 hours a week, doing work that should take 50.

So when I see my "superiors" wasting time writing signs, dusting their cubicals, or whatever else occupies their time and contributes absulely nothing to my company's bottom line, I get understandibly miffed.

I'm not going the extra mile for anybody unless I get paid to do so.
0 Replies