Hi, i have some question about my English study style.

wooyong

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 05:03 am
I am a high school student in korea. and i love English and American culture,.... so on.

but, recently, i have some trouble about my study style..
every day i study English from daily Newyork Times that i have subscribed.

1. I choose articles that i want to study.
2. Scrap articles
3. write the words i don't know on the scrapbook
4. find them in dictionary.
5. cycling.

.... i want to speak , listen english very well but it is so difficult.
Do you know nice ways to be..?

...................Help
all of your advises are welcomed..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 815 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 05:30 am
I was stationed in Korea while in the United States Army, many, many years ago. Korean students often wanted to meet GIs to chat with them in order to improve their use of English. I have to admit that most GIs weren't that interested, but it might be an option for you. In Yongsan, one finds the UN headquarters and the headquarters for KORSCOM (the Korean Support Command). I don't know if it would be an option for you, but you might find it easier to meet English speakers there. Also, within Yongsan, there is the Itaewon district. Forty years ago, there were clubs there, as well as clubs within the hotels. In those days, it was a somewhat upscale district, and GIs used to go to the clubs, especially the clubs in the hotels, to listen to the bands. Perhaps you could meet English-speakers that way. I met a few soldiers from the UK while i was in Korea, but there weren't very many of them. I suspect they were a token force as a part of the UN command.

I was later stationed outside of Taegu (i believe it is now called Daegu), but there weren't a lot of American military bases there. It was the same way in Pusan--some American military, but not much. Seoul (particularly Yongsan and Itaewon) is probably your best bet.

I see nothing wrong with your study plan. The New York Times is considered to be the "newspaper of record" in American journalism, and their standards of usage are reasonably high. Probably you just need to meet native English speakers. There is one other piece of advice i might offer. When i was learning French, i used to read plays. Plays consist almost entirely of dialogue and i found that it helped me a great deal to learn idiomatic expressions. Perhaps you could pick up some contemporary plays by native speakers of English at your local university library, and use them to get a feel for how people speak English conversationally.
jespah

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 08:16 am
The only other suggestion I can add is maybe to watch some television. But you might do better with older television, as the speech and story lines tend to be a bit slower. One show you might want to watch is M*A*S*H which is about the Americans' war with Korea, but it is done with humor and humanity. I'm sure it's free online; there are probably at least parts of episodes on YouTube.

Best of luck with your studies! Smile
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 01:49 pm
@jespah,
Jespah: the Americans' war with Korea,
-------

The euphemisms just never stop.

The Americans' illegal invasion of Korea.
0 Replies

wooyong

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 07:43 am
@Setanta,
Thank you for your cool reply. I read your reply carefully and i got some your advises. And so much happy for your advises. Have a nice day and always be happy! I wish.
0 Replies

wooyong

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 07:44 am
@jespah,
Thank you for your cool reply. I read your reply carefully and i got some your advises. And so much happy for your advises. Have a nice day and always be happy! I wish..
0 Replies

wooyong

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 07:44 am
@jespah,
Thank you for your cool reply. I read your reply carefully and i got some your advises. And so much happy for your advises. Have a nice day and always be happy! I wish..
0 Replies

KS-SZC

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 09:34 pm
@wooyong,
Hi wooyong
I am also a non-native english learner. I have been through the same process as you have done. I think you should try to watch some American TV series and movies, increasing your sense of English or you can just listen to VOA or BBC news which is kind of boring.
wooyong

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:50 am
@Setanta,
Is Being acquainted with american drama's transcript nice way to speak English with native speaker? I am ready to learn and watch Modern Family series but i don't think it goes very well .. Could you give me some advises for this situation?
0 Replies

wooyong

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:50 am
@KS-SZC,
thank you so much
0 Replies