adjective or adverb (comparison)

linlin

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 03:01 am
It would be very kind if some native speakers help me with this question!

I have learned the general rule that adverbs modify verbs (adjectives, adverbs...) and adjectives modify nouns or pronouns.

Now, what about these sentences:

"We sang as loud as we could" -> If I type "sang as loud as we could" into Google, I get 28,500 results, while "sang as loudly as we could" only receives 1,440 results. Does this mean that the adjective can be used here? But it modifies the verb, doesn't it?

"The car drove as slow as a snail" -> Again: "drive as slow as a snail" gets 446 results, but "drive as slowly as a snail" only 5

And do we say: Jim sings more beautiful than his mother. OR Jim sings more beautifully than his mother.

Can we say: He dances the most elegantly. OR He dances the most elegant.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I'm really desperate...

Linda
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 726 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 03:15 am
Adjectives are frequently used where an adverb should be used. Using Google to determine usage is a truly thoughtless thing to do. You don't know how many of your search results are from non-native speakers. You don't know how many of your results are iterations, which is to say, someone repeating what someone else has written, which may well be a poor usage. You don't know the level of education of the people who are writing the usages you see in such a search. My advice is this: as you clearly know the distinction in usage between adjectives and adverbs, stick to that. If you know an adverb is required, use one. Many, many people make poor usage choices, but it behooves the non-native speaker to be as careful as possible, because you will be judged on the quality of your usage, whether or not someone thinks it is fair to judge you that way.
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 09:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta's "advice" is completely useless. All of it. He should never be listened to because he is so spectacularly wrong so often.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 09:32 am
@linlin,
The following describes how English works with respect to adverbs, Linlin.

Drive Safe: In Praise of Flat Adverbs - Merriam-Webster Ask the Editor
ByMerriamWebsterOnline13,201 views

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7epnfcHy5SA
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 10:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta : Adjectives are frequently used where an adverb should be used.

That would be because it is perfectly natural for native speakers to do so.

Setanta: Using Google to determine usage is a truly thoughtless thing to do.

Confusing second language learners with your ignorance on how language works is what is truly thoughtless. What Linlin discovered in Google is backed up by corpus studies in the LGSWE.

Setanta: You don't know how many of your search results are from non-native speakers.

That's easy to fix - "English only pages".

Setanta: You don't know the level of education of the people who are writing the usages you see in such a search.

You didn't know Setanta's level of education but regardless, you now know that he is woefully ignorant on how English really works.

Setanta: My advice is this:

Forget Setanta's advice. It's all too often completely worthless.
linlin

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 12:21 pm
@JTT,
Thank you, JTT!
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 01:31 pm
@linlin,
You're welcome, Linlin.
0 Replies