Eh, this article

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:18 pm
Acceptable or fine in grammar and rhetoric?

Enjoy the pork by the park

Walking through the spacious grounds of Hongqiao Central Park (near Yan'an Xilu) and hearing the laughter and blessings being offered to the newly weds, we finally arrived at the other side of the park on the small and narrow Yili Lu.

It was right on lunchtime and to our surprise, a lovely glass-enveloped restaurant was there to welcome us. It was called the Shanghai Savish Restaurant.

The outside park was covered in flowers with pink and white peachblossom, while the interior of the restaurant was also abloom with its red and white decor and gillyflowers on each table.

It was like being in a crystal castle with high and peaked ceilings, where a splendid pendant lamp was hanging.

The second floor had compartments divided by glass walls, which were in pink like the separate balconies in theatres.

Sitting in the restaurant with its pleasant decor and beautiful views over the park put all the diners in a good mood.

Food there was a fusion of Chinese and Western cuisines and it turned out to be as tasty as the eatery's ambience.

But for the fact that it is located in an out-of-the-way road, the restaurant would have had many more customers rather than only having several tables occupied.

The chefs have smartly combined the different styles of cooking instead of just putting some specific ingredients together.

We ordered two totally different-styled cold dishes - the house special salad with tuna and pasta and the sour pickled sword beans that is a quite popular, albeit ordinary, dish on Chinese tables.

The main courses impressed us. The best was the Shrimp Ball with Soup (12 yuan each). A mouthful of tasty soup was inside each ball made of mashed prawn, glazed with spicy bits.

We were curious and expectant when we saw the waiter serving a dish tightly wrapped in silver paper. It was the Western Style Fish wrapped in paper (28 yuan) - fried fish fillet in sweet and sour sauce, together with onions, mushroom and carrot slices.

The next course was more in the Korean style. The Baked Streaky Pork (38 yuan) served with kimchi. But in my view, it would have been better if it were not a little overcooked.

A wide selection of novel dim sum was on the menu and we chose the Durian Egg Tart.

The durian dices mixed in the tart didn't have the unbearable stinky flavour any longer. They turned out magically to be aromatic and creamy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:07 pm
Wow you are getting good!

It was right on lunchtime this would probably be correct in America but doesn't quite ring right in English It was precisely lunchtime? We arrived as lunch was served?

The durian dices mixed in the tart didn't have the unbearable stinky flavour any longer.

I've never had or seen or luckily smelt durian! but have seen it on wildlife programmes - tastes wouldn't be described as 'stinky' except by a bad mannered child!

maybe ' the diced durian in the tart (flan???) didn't have the unbearable smell any longer.

not much to correct at all - you are improving rapidly Very Happy
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 07:22 am
Thanks Vivien, I hope I can be improving rapidly.
Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 07:48 am
oristarA - are you trying to make this sound like a real review? for the North American or Brit market?

Your grammar has become quite good, but there are points where the article reads like a translation, rather than a review I'd find in a newspaper or magazine here.

One thing I will make a point of ...
Quote:
Food there was a fusion of Chinese and Western cuisines and it turned out to be as tasty as the eatery's ambience.
Ambience is usually not thought of as being tasty.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 12:30 am
Comfortable, or elegant instead? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:00 am
Any word that can describe food or ambience.

Comfortable doesn't go with food but elegant would work. So would satisfying, or fulfilling, or even just "good".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 10:15 am
By the by, Oristar, an American would write: at lunchtime--rather than using "on."
0 Replies