he's not part of his own family?

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:06 am
(1) The issue itself would be totally irrelevant if not for the fact that Kerry's out there stumping for better fuel efficiency, touting the evils of those SUV's...when the family owns quite a few. Apparently he's not part of his own family, nor accountable for any decisions they make.

Q: Apparently he's not part of his own family? I didn't get it? How can he be not part of his own family?

(2) When pressed about a Chevrolet Suburban, the mother of all SUVs, kept at the Heinz Kerry abode in Idaho, Kerry said: "The family has it. I don't have it.''

Q: press about? There is an explanation for the phrase "press about", meaning "to crowd", but it seems not suitable for the context here.

Also "kept at"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 567 • Replies: 5
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:13 am
I guess (1) is a sarcasm, implying that Kerry is hypocritical. See:

Kerry has now closed the distance between nuance and flat-out deception.

And that's without mentioning the other gas-guzzlers this candidate and his family enjoy, all the while posturing about reducing the nation's dependence on foreign oil and fuel efficiency.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:29 am
You've got the context of "not his own family" correct. Rather typical politician (replublicans take note).

"Pressed about" is correct in context here. It refers to expanding on the original question, not letting it rest with the initial response.

Kept=past of "keep". I keep my motorcycle in my garage. My motorcycle is kept in my garage.

I'm not an english wiz. I'm sure one of the experts will come along and expand on my answer!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:30 am
"at" in that case refers to a location.

At the abode of Heinz Kerry.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:34 am
The implication is that because of his political stance on the evils of SUVs, he wants to distance himself from the fact that his family owns several. It IS typical politics. Kerry makes a statement, his rivals dig up evidence that he is hypocritical, so he counters by denying he is a part of his supposedly 'evil' family. It's a bit like the statement 'you are no son of mine'.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:10 am
Thanks Wilso and cavfancier.
0 Replies