• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 867 • Replies: 6
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:32 am
Lemme try to explain the usages.

Alright is the non-standard usage of all right, while "all righty" is an Americanism that is also used colloquially as a slangy expression of "all right".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:26 am
Here is another American abomination of "all right", from a slang dictionary:

aah-ite:

Ghetto for "Alright"

Q: "Pass the hot sauce".
A: "Aah-ite"

"You have the right to remin silent"

"Aah-ite"

'Alright' has pretty much made it into common usage. 'All righty' has not, but can be useful in literature to put an authentic voice to people who would use that term. If everyone spoke and wrote correctly all the time, it would be a very pallid, uncolourful indeed. Smile Good question though, crucifixation. I often wonder what is harder to comprehend, English or French.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:36 am
and i heard/knew somebody using "aight " too.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:19 pm
Quote:
Despite the appearance of the form alright in works of such well-known writers as Langston Hughes and James Joyce, the single word spelling has never been accepted as standard. This is peculiar, since similar fusions such as already and altogether have never raised any objections. The difference may lie in the fact that already and altogether became single words back in the Middle Ages, whereas alright has only been around for a little more than a century and was called out by language critics as a misspelling. Consequently, one who uses alright, especially in formal writing, runs the risk that readers may view it as an error or as the willful breaking of convention.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:24 pm
True Craven. 'Alright', despite the fact that it shows up everywhere, is not standard. The question of 'living language' is for another thread.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
cavfancier wrote:

I often wonder what is harder to comprehend, English or French.

Here is one, cavfancier:

"What they will do is stagger along until there's a major incident and then suddenly say, `Oh, my God, shouldn't we be organized to deal with this?' "

The question is the construction of "is stagger along". It means "to be + verb archetype". Weird? How will you comprehend this English grammar? It is harder to me. Very Happy
0 Replies