all but

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:16 am
I've been hearing the phrase, "so and so has all but (insert accomplishment)," a lot lately. Is it just me or are people using it wrong?

People are using it as a way of stating accomplishment, but doesn't saying that someone has "all but" done something mean that they HAVEN'T done something? It means that they have almost done it, but not quite. They have done everything BUT accomplish it. It has been driving me crazy lately.

Think before you speak people!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 673 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:30 am
Yeah, people abuse "virtually" in the same manner. "He is virtually the home run leader" Is he the home run leader, or not?
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:30 am
How ya doin' JP . . . long time, no see.
jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:38 am
@Setanta,
I'm doing well! Life is good! How have you been?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:45 am
@jpinMilwaukee,
jpinMilwaukee wrote:

I've been hearing the phrase, "so and so has all but (insert accomplishment)," a lot lately. Is it just me or are people using it wrong?

I can't say I have ever heard that expression. By (insert accomplisment) do you mean a single solitary verb or just a related noun or a phrase?

Quote:
People are using it as a way of stating accomplishment, but doesn't saying that someone has "all but" done something mean that they HAVEN'T done something?

Clearly it's a slang based phrase and you're overthinking it.

Quote:
Think before you speak people!

Blah blah!
jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:48 am
@tsarstepan,
tsartepan,

This is the first interaction I have ever had with you, and I certainly hope it is the last. Over think that!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:52 am
@jpinMilwaukee,
Well, i've not been bad--but i get this creepy feeling that i'm turning into an old guy with every birthday.
jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:54 am
@Setanta,
Crazy how that happens isn't it?

In my head I still think I'm a teenager, until I try to do something I used to do as a teenager and my body reminds me that I may have aged a bit since then.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta the language guru: Yeah, people abuse "virtually" in the same manner. "He is virtually the home run leader" Is he the home run leader, or not?
------------

Ignorant, ignorant, ignorant, Setanta. Keep up the good work.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:00 pm
@jpinMilwaukee,
Jp in M: I've been hearing the phrase, "so and so has all but (insert accomplishment)," a lot lately. Is it just me or are people using it wrong?
----------

It'd be helpful if you provided some examples, Jp.
0 Replies