Pat Tillman: Dumb jock, baby killer?

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:42 am
There have actually been some decent and well-reasoned "Dissenting Opinions" on Mr. Tillman.

There was this from Common Dreams:

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0426-13.htm

And Rochester NY's "City" magazine contributed this:

http://www.rochester-citynews.com/gbase/Gyrosite/Content?oid=oid%3A2572
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:40 am
I just wanted to digress, for a second, to say that while McG and I don't always agree on issues, I follow his posts with interest, and lately, I think he's showing a real sense of humour (don't ask me to remember specifically where, but it's out there). I felt the need to spread some love...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
You're right -- this isn't Yahoo chat and if someone has been banned from another site, that's unfortunate and none of us know the circumstances as we've only heard one side of the story. When you're ona privately owned forum such as this one you have to play by the rules. The report button is to hopefully make sure everyone is playing by the game according to Hoyle (which is the TOS). Inserting headlines that are a mischaracterization of a cut-and-paste text is done at your own risk.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:02 am
Yes, I agree that McG doesn't always take himself seriously. We're just fencing in here and it would be unfortunate if someone barges in with a sharpened sword to draw blood.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:02 am
Cav, Smile
A funny guy, eh?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
Not pointing any fingers but I know it's effective to use humor when one is seriously nailed in a debate to soften the blow. Politicians, well the talented politicians, use it pretty consistently. Reagan, for instance.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:19 am
I still can't believe Wil Wheaton has a political site. What the hell happened to his career?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:33 am
What career?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:58 am
Setanta wrote:
What career?

Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:42 am
NeoGuin wrote:
There have actually been some decent and well-reasoned "Dissenting Opinions" on Mr. Tillman.

There was this from Common Dreams:

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0426-13.htm

And Rochester NY's "City" magazine contributed this:

http://www.rochester-citynews.com/gbase/Gyrosite/Content?oid=oid%3A2572

Thanks, those are interesting links.

Not being a football fan, it hadn't occurred to me that the NFL would be a conservative "bloc." The sad thing about Pat Tillman is that it feels as though his death is being celebrated, not grieved.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:21 am
Good point about Wil there Set. Maybe he feels the need to abuse people on his site and push them around because he knows he was THE most hated character on Trek.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:33 am
Or, it could just be arrested petulance . . .
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:28 pm
Another example of the 'well balanced and reasonable left':

AMHERST, Mass. -- A University of Massachusetts student has openly criticized Pat Tillman, calling the former NFL player a Rambo-like idiot in the school paper.

Link
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:31 pm
Fedral, anyone willing to tie themselves to dualistic terms like 'left' or 'right' are clearly not balanced, nor reasonable, IMHO.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:32 pm
I thought we had already addressed this.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:39 pm
And so we shall over and over until it sinks in, PDiddie...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:25 pm
And was severely critcized by the Shapiro characterized leftist president of the school.

The column drew harsh criticism from many on campus. University president Jack Wilson says the op-ed piece was "disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature."
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:19 pm
Piff:

What BOTH articles forget to mention (well maybe the one from Common Dreams in passing) is that it wasn't always like this; think of folks like Paul Roberson and Muhammed Ali.

It's just that much like the media, sports became a tool of CEO's.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:04 am
It seems that Tillman was 'probably' killed by friendly fire
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:09 am
Yes, that makes it even more tragic doesn't it?
0 Replies