Pat Tillman: Dumb jock, baby killer?

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:15 pm
Oh man, soz beat me to it...Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:15 pm
You didn't say there was a forum called "Soapbox" until now and I did find it. It requires registration which I'm not sure I want to bother. I can likely go surfing over the internet and find all sorts of rightwing and leftwing trash that I wouldn't swallow in an instance.

From what I've seen and read about Tillman, he wouldn't want to be singled out over any one person who lost their life in the war. Too many Americans are in search of an American Idol for the war which also ends up looking like a popularity contest. It's shallow as a puddle in my estimation.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:17 pm
Yes, it's that Will Wheaton!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:17 pm
yeah, he's pretty much a liberal.

He doesn't get into the politics much, but those that do are just to the left of Micheal Moore. They had a great purge of outspoken conservatives a while back (why I can't access from work).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:19 pm
Boy, he sure has gained weight and fallen out of the acting network, hasn't he?

No wonder he's such a miserable liberal... :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:21 pm
I guess this explains why he left Trek by joining those damn native folks. Friggin' liberal.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:27 pm
I registered but could find no topic on Tillman in Politics.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:08 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I registered but could find no topic on Tillman in Politics.

Look harder.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
And the flaming is where? Most of the forum is quite astute and not at all volatile. I didn't search all five pages but scanning it I found nothing about "baby killers" or "dumb jock." As I said before, a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
I have the wild goose in hand, however.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:47 pm
Hey, wait a minute...if Star Trek: TNG is anything like the America that produced it, Wesley Crusher will ALWAYS save the day.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:48 pm
"As I said, there is a forum there called "the Soapbox" in which very many liberals group together and discuss the intricacies of being insidious and rude." McGentrix

Then the only question of any import is this; if you find this particular forum so offensive, why on earth spend time there?

Do you enjoy feeling uncomfortable?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:04 pm
In fact the site has no topic with as volatile a title as this one borrowed from a post on another forum which has been censored.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:27 pm
WWDN had some intelligent political discussion for a while. But anyone who wasn't obviously a left winger was hounded and harrassed and finally banned. Nowadays I understand it's mostly a hub of self-congratulatory liberal backslapping. I am also banned from there, due to this rule, which they made after banning four of us conservatives:

Quote:
If, over a period of time, we determine that your contributions to this board are, on the whole, negative and undermining rather than positive you may be given a timeout or banned at our discretion. Membership on the board is a privilege, not a right.

Their biggest problem as I saw it was that they only saved message threads for a week or so. So in a big discussion about WMD, you would do 15 minutes worth of research and post a gigantic response that would really get people thinking. Then if the subject came up later, and you went back to find your hard-earned references again, they would be gone. So it wasn't worth the effort to post more than one or two lines in response to anything.

The second biggest problem was that the moderators would put the big smackdown on anyone who posted a personal comment about anyone else. It might have been okay if it had been applied equally, but time and time again the left wingers were allowed to say things that the right wingers would be censored for.

And the third biggest problem was the incessant sycophantic butt-kissing directed toward the Great Man Himself. If he ever deemed a thread worthwhile to post in, there were people who would wet themselves in joy. And every time he posted something in his blog about being depressed, someone would start a thread asking why, and others would chime in offering him "mojo." And that was sickening to me. This board has none of the above failings, which is why I enjoy it much better.

I thought about going back under another name, but as infowarrior said, it's an unhappy place for me so I stayed away. When I first found it, I thought it was pretty cool to be on Wesley Crusher's site. But then when I found out what he was really like, it became rather unappealing. If you read some of his posts, you can see how he talks down to his members and basks in the glory of their worship. It's enough to turn your stomach.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
[size=7]I just go for the boobies now Embarrassed [/size]
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:42 pm
Y'know, as a good liberal I never read or listen to EITHER Left-wing or to Right-wing-slants.

It doesn't make sense... the worst of the bunch... and I don't have that much time to waste.

Surely seems odd to me that an avowed conservative would bother to try to find the worst of the liberal discussions. What good does that do? I am extremely confused about your motives.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:42 pm
The wild seabird?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
I have no interest in being in a place where everything I say is agreed with and everyone has the same opinions. That's why I spend most of my time here. Believe it or not I read almost every post in this forum and I learn a lot.

Believe me though, this and WWDN are no where near "the worst of the liberal discussions". I have ventured into the Democratic Underground and moved slowly away from that place never turning my back. There are some seriously messed up people there.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:34 pm
"This latest outrage underscores the leftist community's tolerance for an ugly, radical element"

Unforunate, apparently, that some would answer idiocy with idiocy, hmm?
The right has been sponsoring this kind of hate for ages. have you complained about that?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:54 pm
Funny Suzy, the Right often says the same thing about the Left.

But like McG, being where everybody agrees with me on every issue is like watching paint dry. And like everybody else, I like having at least one or two agree with me now and then and I appreciate the (usually) civil and reasonable discourse at A2K.

Believe it or not, from time to time I am convinced a position I have doggedly defended is wrong but I am persuaded by reason and logic and not by insults or flat out attack. I would guess that's the case for all of us.
0 Replies