Shopping Cart Exerciser? British Have the Right Idea!

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:41 am
Quote:
'Trim Trolley' Helps Burn Calories
Tue Apr 27, 9:47 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A cart designed to help shoppers burn calories while trawling the aisles was unveiled by a British supermarket chain Tuesday.

The "Trim Trolley" allows the shopper to select different levels of resistance, making it harder to push.

It has a pulse monitor, timer, and computer for working out its speed and how many calories the shopper has used up.

A prototype of the trolley, made by German form Wanzl, went on display at a branch of Tesco, Britain's biggest supermarket chain, in London.

Tesco said if the trolley proved popular, it would introduce them into stores.

I LOVE the idea. Would you be interested in something like that in your stores?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,229 • Replies: 14
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:21 am
We've had shopping cart exercisers for years - unless the wheels are square by accident.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:25 am
they come with wheels?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:30 am
Shopping is a real drudge for me...I want to get in and out as soon as possible. There may be benefits for some people; however, I'm not sure if it's worth the time someone spends in the store.
Whenever companies get new and innovative ideas, it seems they raise the prices on their products.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:43 am
Quote:
Whenever companies get new and innovative ideas, it seems they raise the prices on their products.

Maybe. Another thing. I wonder how long it would take for those carts to be stolen, or rendered inoperable by overzealous exercisers?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:02 am
sure.
get a workout, then head straight for the ice cream aisle...
of course they'd also have to install locker rooms and showers...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:28 am
Region Philbis wrote:
sure.
get a workout, then head straight for the ice cream aisle...

That's where I would go after a calorie reduction workout.

Another factor here is that if you are at risk, you shouldn't attempt any new exercise regime without your doctor's approval.
This alone could lead to big law suits.
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
Shopping Carts
Hi Phoenix- Sounds good to me! That way I'll feel better as I'm pushing my cart to buy more beer and sausages... Er, healthfood

The latest thing here is the addition of portable scanners to read all your barcodes as you go so when you get to the front to pay all your stuff is rung up already. I'm all for expediting the checkout process but this is getting out of control. Then you have to bag the stuff and carry it out yourself. Heck, they should be paying ME a stipend for all of this.

Then there's the self checkout things where you invariably have to get an employee involved to help in the process anyway. Oy! Don't get me started
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:55 am
Quote:
Then you have to bag the stuff and carry it out yourself.

Jose Cuervo- That is why I love to shop in Publix. The store has baggers who take your packages and put them into your car. No tipping, either. It took me awhile to get used to all that service, coming from NY. There is a little old lady who works as a bagger. The first time that she started out with my cart, I stopped her. It was so embarrassing to have someone who probably is in her late seventies, carrying out your stuff for you.
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 10:01 am
Yes, we really liked the Publix stores while we were in Fla (except for the prices). It seems food costs are much higher down there eh? Winn-Dixie was good here in Texas but we didn't like them down there. Go figure
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
Winn-Dixie is horrible here. The prices are higher, and the staff is surly. I rarely go there, except in a dire emergency!

What I find very interesting, that in Florida, the produce prices are MUCH higher than up north.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 10:12 am
the shaw's we go to has a nifty system --
they bag it, send it down a conveyor belt to a pick-up area.
we drive up, open the trunk, and they load it (tipping is optional)...
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:16 am
Does anyone order groceries online? I've always wanted to try this but we never need enough at once to make it worthwhile.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 12:44 pm
I'm a little dubious about exercise with a grocery cart. Picture aisles crowded with shoppers, some with small children, some with bored, medium-sized children, a few with retired husbands who used to be in management.....

Loving the human race on Hunting & Gathering days is clear and present challenge for me under the old-fashioned conditions.

Parallel topic: This morning in the newspaper letter's column a reader pointed out that you could be arrested for pilfering a $.60 candy bar but if you walked off with a $600 shopping cart and ditched it near your apartment door, there was no obvious penalty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:17 pm
dyslexia wrote:
they come with wheels?

LOL Dys!!!

I'm really not crazy about the idea because I'm a get in there and get out as fast as you can shopper and there are eough people blocking the way without have exercisers slowing me down even more.
0 Replies