Pick on it

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:07 am
There are just a few days left for the year. I've been thinking how to express my new year wish to you, and to my own. Of course you know it is not so easy to choose proper words for doing so.
I've thought a lot that were always around something you did.
You like daffodils, but you could not get them this year. shame on me that I could not help you. I think you've more desired for the fragrance and whiteness of the flower. I know that you have some other aspirations. The more enthusiastic your aspirations are, the more possible that door of the mystery will open for you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 589 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:33 am
oristar, did you want comments on the passage for correctness?

It should be "There are just a few days left in the year", but in many languages, "for" is more common, not in English though, in this context. I think the next sentence should read "I've been thinking about how to express my new year's wish to you, and to my own (i.e. family)". "I've thought a lot that were always around something you did." This is awkward to the point of being almost incomprehensible...if I have the sentiment right, it should be written something like: "I've often thought that you were always there for me" or, my other interperatation: "I've often thought that you always enjoyed doing things around the house, and had many passionate hobbies, especially growing daffodils." Now, that is a literary extrapolation of the sentiment, but it sounds nice, and makes a nice lead into the next sentence. Next: "I think you miss the fragrance and whiteness of the flower. I know that you have other aspirations (the 'some' is unecessary here). " Finally: "The greater your aspirations, the more likely that door of mystery will open for you." Smile I'm being more of a writer than an instructor here, but let me know if it helps.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:24 am
Hi Cavfanicier,

I esp. like the rewriting that you offered:

"The greater your aspirations, the more likely that door of mystery will open for you."

LOL! It did make me happy.

Regarding "I've thought a lot that were always around something you did."

What I meant is:

I've always thought a lot about what you have done.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:13 am
Ahh, well, go with that then oristar. Wink
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:09 am
I think you meant:
The greater your aspiration's... Smile

Or:

The greater your aspiration is...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
Well, the apostrophe there in 'aspiration's' denotes that whatever follows would be related to a single aspiration's property or thoughts, which is kind of strange. See? 'Aspirations' simply denotes a plural of aspiration, and most people have more than one aspiration.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:13 am
If it were the singular, I think 'the greater your aspiration is' would work better.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 10:13 am
Ah, did you mean 'The greater your aspirations" works fine in grammar? I just didn't see this grammatical construction before. So I tried to ask you.
Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:38 am
Grammatically, it is a simple plural.
0 Replies