Can poor conversation skill affect a person's job or life?

Angel23

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 05:28 pm
I have trouble staying on topic and my timing is off, making ppl uncomfortable.

1. In the break room, I told a coworker about the fact that we couldn't have food reserved for certain ppl unless we're offered. Another coworker told me that was inappropriate comment.
2. At an anniversary of the store's opening, I asked a coworker if the food they're serving is only for that day. She told me to just enjoy the food while it's there.
3. A coworker told another coworker what her granddaughter was doing.
I asked her if that girl is 25 yet. My supervisor said that was intrusive.
4. On my birthday, someone commented she remembers being my age. I replied that she had just came to town back then. She asked me what that got to do with anything.
5. While at a Super Bowl party outside work, a girl said she teaches. I asked her which school district.

Idk y but these comments somehow made ppl not wanna talk to me.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 06:40 pm
@Angel23,
I would try intimidating these people. Sometimes people will chill out once the alpha male is determined.
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 06:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bob, there's something wrong with you.

I suggest you read some of her other threads.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 07:51 pm
@chai2,
Two posts, both full of poor little me. Did I miss something?
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 07:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What are you talking about?

Poor little who? You?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 07:58 pm
Three threads on the same vein. There's some subtext going on and I'm call BS.
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 07:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm sorry, I haven't got a clue as to what you're talking about.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 08:07 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yep, you missed something. Take a look at the two pages of topics by her.

She's been posting under this name for two years and another 4 years under another name. She has some socializing shortcomings and comes here to work them out.

http://able2know.org/user/angel23/topics/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 08:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
The subtext is a young person with poor communication and social skills looking for help to work things through.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 08:12 pm
@Angel23,
Hi Angel - sometimes it's the words we use, sometimes it's the timing of the words, sometimes it's the tone we use. It's a hard balance getting all of the parts of communication right.

Without being there it is hard to tell which part of the communication you're getting wrong. Have you still got your VR counsellor to talk to about these things?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 08:17 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Two posts, both full of poor little me. Did I miss something?

Two posts? She has 32 threads and a couple of other a2k accounts.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 08:29 pm
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:

I have trouble staying on topic and my timing is off, making ppl uncomfortable.

1. In the break room, I told a coworker about the fact that we couldn't have food reserved for certain ppl unless we're offered. Another coworker told me that was inappropriate comment.

were you informing her or complaining to her about it? If complaining, it was probably inappropriate, especially the "unless we're offered" bit. It gives the impression you were trying to manipulate someone offering you some.

2. At an anniversary of the store's opening, I asked a coworker if the food they're serving is only for that day. She told me to just enjoy the food while it's there.

again, were you complaining about it being there for just the one day rather than appreciating it being there at all?

3. A coworker told another coworker what her granddaughter was doing.
I asked her if that girl is 25 yet. My supervisor said that was intrusive.

were you a part of the conversation or did you barge in with the question?

4. On my birthday, someone commented she remembers being my age. I replied that she had just came to town back then. She asked me what that got to do with anything.

was it said in a way that invalidated her memory of being your age because she was new in town at the time?

5. While at a Super Bowl party outside work, a girl said she teaches. I asked her which school district.

I don't see anything wrong here, unless you were interrupting to ask the question.

Idk y but these comments somehow made ppl not wanna talk to me.

maybe it is the timing of your questions. If you interrupt a conversation others are having to ask your question, it isn't that they don't want to talk with you, they just don't want the conversation interupted. Maybe wait until they finish then ask.
Angel23

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 03:39 am
@Butrflynet,
I didn't interrupt the conversation in any of these situations.

1. I meant to inform, not complain but I'm not sure how ppl took it.
2. I was asking a question but apparently my coworker got embarrassed by it and idk y.
3. My coworker and I were talking and someone else joined.
4. All I did was make a comment that she had just came to town back then. I didn't invalidate anything but idk how she took it.
5. She was saying it to me on first meeting. She didn't even know my name. We were actually playing a board game at that time with a bunch of others. Yet that comment turned her off.

So idk
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 03:52 am
Someone told me he once worked for a restaurant in a neighboring town. I asked him which one and if it's a chain. Another person told me she used to work for another company and I asked her when exactly and what year. I just found out these questions are intrusive but idk y.

A girl told me and a few others on first meeting that she owns her house. I asked her of she has a mortgage. She didn't speak to me for a long time.

Another girl told me on first meeting that she is a dietician. I asked if she work in a cafeteria and where she goes to break for lunch. She didn't speak to me for a while either.

Someone said a kid looks one of the like a late celebrity. I commented about the said celebrity's funeral. Idk was it off topic? Bc ppl didn't wanna talk to me after that.
0 Replies