Who exactly are we repressing?

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:44 pm
blatham writes:
Quote:
Back about a year and a half ago, myself and others here (not to mention those who were writing in various journals) argued that the US would seek to use Iraq as a military outpost in the middle east.

I wonder if you can cite any country that contains a US base that does not want it there? Can you cite any country that has ever asked us to remove a base that we did not do so?

Can you explain why it would be strategically advantageous to have a base in a hostile Iraq when we have landing rights in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia (at least some of the time), Turkey, and four eastern European countries are wanting U.S. bases in their countries?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:03 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
blatham writes:
Quote:
Back about a year and a half ago, myself and others here (not to mention those who were writing in various journals) argued that the US would seek to use Iraq as a military outpost in the middle east.

I wonder if you can cite any country that contains a US base that does not want it there? Can you cite any country that has ever asked us to remove a base that we did not do so? How about Vieques? But the better answer is Saudi Arabia. This piece will help fill in the blanks for you, though I recommend checking through the Carnegie Endowment for Peace archives too.... http://reason.com/links/links032904.shtml
Can you explain why it would be strategically advantageous to have a base in a hostile Iraq when we have landing rights in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia (at least some of the time), Turkey, and four eastern European countries are wanting U.S. bases in their countries?
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:50 pm
repression
a few things I felt the need to comment on.
First of all it is the god given right of the iraqis to forcefully oppose the US forces. No matter how one tries to moralize the issue the fact is the US has invaded a soveigrn state by the use of arms. But since it has defeated the political government and military associated with it gets to dictate the terms of surrender. All is ok to this point. But at this point the iraqi people have the right to accept or oppose this invasion, and it seems that while some are accepting it some aren't. And they are actively resisting the invasion by use of arms. The US forces have the right under international conventions to not only defend themselves but actively prosecute the fight against the insurgents, while takin utmost care to defend civilian lives. Here is the tricky part. Just what exactly defines this care no one knows, and when it is the US military in question it is further obscured by biased media coverage of events. Now we know for a fact that at least 300 odd civilians (the most conservative number, some reports up to a thousand dead) have died in fallujah alone. Now get this until last night the faalujah operation was a surgical operation where targeted force was used with utmost restraint (basically meaning "not carpet bombed"). And still the marines there managed to kill 300 odd civilians. And yes you all want to know who is being repressed, the average iraqi who couldn't care less if it was the americans or the japanese or the martians, but whose only interest is trying to ensure the survival of his family is being repressed. The average american whose views or beliefs count for nothing is being repressed. The whole world is being repressed so that a few crooks (most of the bush administration) can make a few billion bucks through preffential contracts in iraqi oil and reconstruction.

At least those of us living in the thirld world countries are lucky enough to know that we don't live in "real" democracies. That the whole election process and division of power etc. are a farce. And I for one feel sorry for the average american whose sweat, and now blood are being exploited for the material benefit of the few, all under the pretense of freedom and democracy. Wake up guys, it doesn't matter who becomes the president, or gets in the congress, after all the ones with the real power finance all the candidates assuring that who ever wins, they always will win.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 12:37 am
Re: Who exactly are we repressing?
McGentrix wrote:
I haven't been able to put my finger around what the fuss is all about.

It has something to do with offending people of the Muslim faith. I can't figure out why people need to take so much care about that. Other Arab countries hated Saddam, as did most Iraqis, but the left-leaning media focused on the few comments about how the invasion of Iraq was somehow "demeaning" to Muslims because it made them look powerless or some such thing. The criminals in Iraq drag their military weapons into mosques and thumb their noses at Coalition troops, thinking there will be high outrage if their religious strongholds are attacked. I say make sure there's no one in there but the bad guys and then drop a MOAB on it and take care of the problem once and for all. Let the citizens of the city rebuild the mosque knowing that they don't have to worry about their criminal element any more.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:14 am
Quote:
How about Vieques?

Are you referring to the US territory? In that case you should add Fayetteville NC (Fort Bragg) to your list, I ran into a bunch of locals that did not want the US army there, the same is true at fort Benning.
I think Cuba would have been a better example.
0 Replies