Do artists wrap presents differently?

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 12:35 pm
I do sometimes, partly because I am an artist and partly because I am cheap. Or believe in recycling. My packages are often collages of magazine cutouts and things from my tool storage area - wire, etc. - and possibly the odd single earring, snips of material. Well, hey, works of art or peculiar wraps, they are fun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,758 • Replies: 22
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 01:43 pm
But, ofcoarse! I use new and unsoiled newspaper. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 05:41 pm
Perhaps not just artists but, those who are creative in nature tend to wrap gifts differently than most.I have my moments when I am inspired to do so, and times when I am not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 05:49 pm
Wrapping paper costs too much! Sometimes the wrapper costs as much as the gitt...... c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 07:19 pm
Me too, Quinn. Sometimes I go overboard, and sometimes I just wrap stuff in plain paper. Still, mine usually stands out as either odd, or beautiful, depending on the outcome of my whimsy.

CI, I don't do newspaper because it rubs off on your hands, but I sure to magaazines...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 08:01 pm
osso, I must have built up an immunity to newspaper print. I read the San JOse Mercury News almost every morning with my coffee, and I'm sure I've injested some of that ink during my donut consumption.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 09:41 pm
I still try to do the kids gifts in comics as they think its just fabulous, and heck..its cheap as well Smile
Mostly I try to do different gift tags, or nice ribbons and bows, however creative I am makes a big difference, thats for sure.
yes, wrapping paper is expensive but, there are those times when it works out wonderfully. I also like bags and boxes, especially those you can decorate or embellish in some way.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 10:54 pm
If you're concerned about the cost of wrapping paper, now is the time to pick some up for next Christmas season. Most all the stores sell it for 50% off.
I was wondering what kind of expressions you get when you give a gift wrapped "your" special way, instead of the norm?
Do you care how your presents are presented to you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 11:05 pm
I don't get gifts, so it would be wonderful just to get something! The wrapping would be of no consequence. That's not to say, people are not nice to me. I have received about a half dozen Holiday Greetings from foreign countries, and that includes two from Egypt, Tanzania, Australia, Germany, Holland, and Malaysia. c.i.
0 Replies

Hyannis

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 08:55 am
I usually have a theme for my Chritmas wrapping. Last year was silver, this year was blue, with purple and silver accents. There's too much for Christmas for me to take the effort to get too creative with Christmas wrapping, hence the theme with store bought supplies.

For individual gifts throughout the year I tend to get a little more creative in my wrapping, using non-traditional supplies. I also like to have a little gifty thing to attach to the outside of the package. Nothing spectacular, but something.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 09:13 am
My Christmas wrapping this year was a grand blue and gold thing as well...it worked for less problems, not enough creative time, etc.
I also tend to do more during the rest of the year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 10:54 am
People generally like my creative wrapping efforts...it isn't all about money really. I used some left over brocade fabric to wrap a wedding present, with a nice bow and an old piece of jewelry to tie the bow...

No presents, CI, eek. You need to get some..we'll send you some "virtual" presents...what would you like?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:14 am
wrapping presents
The wrapping of presents is no problem for me--now that I'm married. Face it, the bottom line of motivation for marriage is that I now have someone to wrap presents and my wife has a two-legged jar opener and insect remover. But, thank goodness, that's only the bottom line.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:34 am
My wife and I went to a craft store the other day, because there was a sign on the window that said 75 percent off. My wife purchased some fancy ribbons that originally retailed at $3.99 for $1.00, so she bought four! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:40 am
presents
So her goal was to save money or to get more stuff? Or both? Now I know why I'm such an irrational consumer. It's too difficult to understand.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:45 am
JLN, The ones my wife selected were supposed to be Christmas gift wrap ribbons, but some could be used for other times and occasions. We're always buying gifts for newborns and a few weddings, and they can be used for other needs. c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 12:07 pm
presents
thanks, C.I.--another step forward in my education.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 01:12 pm
errrrrr, how are we supposed to be defining artists? i'm not an 'artist' by profession, but the presentation of my gifts is often commented on (not this year, though, Setanta was in a bit of a rush to exchange gifts, so bagging them was the answer). I try to have a theme running from the gift to the wrapping. One year, all of my Christmas gifts were related to texture in some way. Friends enjoy trying to figure out what the theme will be from the wrapping of their gifts. Usually. Sometimes they get lazy and just ask.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 02:46 pm
ehBeth, I don't know about you, but I'm don't expect the recepients of my gifts to go through any mental excercises. My wife, however, claims that it's important that the gift itself reflects some thought. c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 03:29 pm
c.i., i get incredibly bored in a room of people just ripping tissue. we could have all just gone out and bought our own gifts if it's just about 'getting stuff'. thought in the creation of the gift grouping as well as the wrapping adds entertainment for me and my many of the people i exchange gifts with.
0 Replies