Benghazi, Putin. How's Obama doing?

coldjoint

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2014 05:10 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Do you think families just starting out make the median income?

Again something I did not say. I did say the median income has gone since Obama. That is a fact you can't get around. And in keeping with that you can't save what you don't make, and it doesn't matter what age you are.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 02:04 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
How's Obama doing?

I disagreed, strongly, with his push to violate the Second Amendment. But I suppose I can be magnanimous in victory, as my side was successful in preserving the Constitution.

I really like the way Mr. Obama is modifying/modernizing the military. We have a lot of cool new weapons on the way, from unmanned medium bombers based on aircraft carriers to Mach-6 hypersonic cruise missiles. It's going to make for some quality CNN the next time we send the military out to smash one of those little countries that periodically annoy us.

I hope they name the new bombers after Doolittle somehow. What could be a more appropriate name for a medium bomber flying off an aircraft carrier?

His plans for the nuclear arsenal also meet with my enthusiastic approval. Part of me winces over doing away with strategic bombs, but they are a less survivable delivery system than a bomber-launched cruise missile. Coming out with new lines of half-megaton warheads for our ICBMs and SLBMs more than makes up for the loss of strategic bombs.

I'm a bit meh on the plans to bring back "usable" tactical nukes. In my view a good nuke is one that has a high yield and produces lots of fallout. But I suppose if Putin sees Europe bristling with nukes that we won't hesitate to use, that might give him second thoughts about invading NATO territory.
revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 05:37 am
@oralloy,
Obama didn't want to violate the Second Amendment, Obama was attempting to do the will over half of the population and have better back ground checks. Your side ignored the will the people and waged an all out campaign against it and then congress got clay feet.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 06:00 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Obama didn't want to violate the Second Amendment, Obama was attempting to do the will over half of the population and have better back ground checks.

The background checks themselves are problematical, given the way the government has been counting a number of law-abiding citizens as people who should be barred from buying firearms.

However, there was also a strong push to ban harmless cosmetic features like pistol grips.

"What half the population wanted" is irrelevant. It was an attempt to destroy the Constitution.

revelette2 wrote:
Your side ignored the will the people and waged an all out campaign against it and then congress got clay feet.

Of course we ignored the will of the people. What matters is the will of the Constitution.

But as I said, we won. The Constitution is saved. I can afford to be magnanimous. Bygones.

I really like what Mr. Obama is doing with the military. Those half-megaton "interoperable warheads" = two thumbs up. Very very nice.
revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 06:40 am
@oralloy,
The way the second amendment is worded, it seems outdated. In any event, background checks do not violate the second amendment unless you think the second amendment gives every single person in US the right to bear arms to form militias or protect themselves without any exceptions simply because it doesn't mention background checks.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 07:12 am
@revelette2,
The constitution enumerates the specific powers assigned to the federal government, leaving all others either to the people themselves (through the Bill of Rights) or to the individual states. The only reference in the constitution to the powers of the Federal government relative to independent gun ownership by the people is the prohibition in the 2nd amendment.

I suppose you could argue that a Federally mandated background check doesn't itself violate the 2nd amendment. However prohibiting the sale in the event the check fails some Federal standard certainly does.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 08:57 am
@georgeob1,
Welcome back.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 09:16 am
@georgeob1,
Yeah, what joe said...and you already got thumbed down Very Happy
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 02:21 pm
@georgeob1,
I got a new computer and it is giving me fits, its a windows 8 for starters and a different brand than I usually get. In any event, can't figure out how to copy and paste. But how do you figure that prohibiting the sale of a gun in case some nut job fails a federal background check would violate the second amendment any more than failing a state background check would?
Advocate

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 03:45 pm
@revelette2,
Regarding your new computer, don't expect any better operation withthe 8.1 system.
Advocate

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 03:49 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

The constitution enumerates the specific powers assigned to the federal government, leaving all others either to the people themselves (through the Bill of Rights) or to the individual states. The only reference in the constitution to the powers of the Federal government relative to independent gun ownership by the people is the prohibition in the 2nd amendment.

I suppose you could argue that a Federally mandated background check doesn't itself violate the 2nd amendment. However prohibiting the sale in the event the check fails some Federal standard certainly does.

As I mentioned before, the second amendment only allows one to carry in the context of the maintenance of a well-regulated militia. Thus, outside this, gun control is entirely legal.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:17 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
As I mentioned before, the second amendment only allows one to carry in the context of the maintenance of a well-regulated militia.

Read it again, you are wrong. How about that IRS scandal?
Advocate

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 08:26 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
As I mentioned before, the second amendment only allows one to carry in the context of the maintenance of a well-regulated militia.

Read it again, you are wrong. How about that IRS scandal?

Okay! How about the IRS scandal? It is really no scandal. Issa will not admit the truth, which is that a mid-level manager (not Lerner), who is a conservative Republican, segregated applications to better process them.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 09:36 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
(not Lerner)

Then she would have never pleaded the fifth. Cummings has now been tied to the scandal.
oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 12:28 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Your use of the word "allows" could be taken to mean that the Second Amendment prohibits all other carry. The Second Amendment does not prohibit anyone from carrying guns.

Anyway, any legal argument trying to limit the Second Amendment to the militia fails due to the fact that there is no such militia.

Advocate wrote:
Thus, outside this, gun control is entirely legal.

However, much gun control is unconstitutional.
revelette2

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:01 am
@Advocate,
Really? Sorry to interrupt the ever going saga of gun control and IRS and last but not least, Benghazi, but is there a solution to windows 8? I have been going literally nuts since I got it.
oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:18 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
is there a solution to windows 8? I have been going literally nuts since I got it.

Is there a problem that needs to be solved? I'm delighted with Windows 8. I don't understand why people don't like it.

I see you mentioned cut and paste above. It works fine for me on Windows 8. Maybe it is being interfered with by some program that came installed on your computer?
Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 09:38 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
(not Lerner)

Then she would have never pleaded the fifth. Cummings has now been tied to the scandal.

Since Lerner is the focus of a major Rep witchhunt, she wisely began to plead the fifth.
Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 09:40 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:

Your use of the word "allows" could be taken to mean that the Second Amendment prohibits all other carry. The Second Amendment does not prohibit anyone from carrying guns.

Anyway, any legal argument trying to limit the Second Amendment to the militia fails due to the fact that there is no such militia.

Advocate wrote:
Thus, outside this, gun control is entirely legal.

However, much gun control is unconstitutional.

I didn't, of course, imply that the second amendment prohibits nonmilitia carry.
Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 09:41 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Really? Sorry to interrupt the ever going saga of gun control and IRS and last but not least, Benghazi, but is there a solution to windows 8? I have been going literally nuts since I got it.

I uploaded 8.1, thinking that this would be a cure to the 8 system. It is not. Should you find a cure, please let me know.