Reflexive vs. Intensive Pronouns

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:48 pm
I'm in the process of reviewing basic grammar concepts and I am a bit stuck on reflexive vs. intensive pronouns. I have done plenty of googling as well as working in the handbook I am using to review (Prentice Hall Writing and Grammar, Gold Level). I thought I had a grasp on it until I got to one of the sections in the workbook that asks you to, "Write a sentence for each pronoun, using the pronoun in the manner indicated in parentheses." The example given is: "himself (reflexive)" and their example sentence is "He bought the gifts himself." I was under the impression that a sentence structured like this would be intensive rather than reflexive because "the gifts" is the object of the verb and the "himself" is just highlighting the fact that he bought the gifts, the assumption being that he might not normally do it himself. Am I understanding this correctly? If not, could you explain it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:39 pm
Here's what I found:

"an intensive pronoun is different from a reflexive, because the pronoun can be removed without altering the meaning of the sentence."

That ought to answer your question.
0 Replies