should two people throw away everything cause of they'er age

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:23 pm
Hi im joshua and i need some help with this problem My girl friend is 23 and im 18 and she want to just be friends cause of our age differance and we planed to ge married and to start a family and we picked the name for our kids and we was going to get each others name tatted on each others arms i love and she love me so it would really help if any one out there can help me and give me they'er thoughts on this problem plz ty i will really be happy to here everyone thoughts on this
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:27 pm
joshua, You are both too young to make that kind of committment. If you truly love each other, you can wait a few more years - like five more years - before you start engaving tatoos on your body. The more important questions are 1) do you have any career plans? 2) how will you support a family? and 3) are you sure it's love and not infatuation?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm
I'm with c.i. on this one. You must ask yourselves these questions seriously. Relationships involve a lot of hard work that has nothing to do with love, or infatuation. It's lack of planning for the day to day expenses and realities of marriage that break many couples up, especially when they are young.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:44 pm
Maybe your girlfriend has decided you're not mature enough for marriage, and that's why she's cooling things off.

18 is awfully young. When I was 23, I had finished college and had lived on my own for a few years. You really shouldn't take on the commitment of supporting a household until you've proven you can support yourself first. If she gets sick, loses a job, etc., it will be up to you to support both of you. I doubt you're ready for that kind of responsibility. Give yourself a few years to prepare yourself. Do you have plans to go to college?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 02:31 pm
Agreed with the above. Believe me it is not age difference - my friend and her hubby are over 10 years apart in age, but were significantly older than you two when they got married. I think it is more the level of maturity and not the age difference between you. There is a much larger difference in the maturity level of an 18 year old and 23 year old than a 30 year old and a 33 year old for example. Just remember back to when you were 13. Would you ever think of even liking a girl at the age of 10?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:20 pm
I'm with everybody else. You can still be in love and put off marriage a long time. But do not, DO NOT, get her name tattooed on your arm before you know that you're going to be with her for the rest of your life! That is the most hideous reminder of a failed relationship that you could ever have.
0 Replies

joshua232

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:41 pm
ok
ok
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:46 pm
In really really general terms, I don't think that breaking up strictly based on the numbers is right. However, I do think that you're both young enough that you've got some time to slow down and reflect on marriage and kids' names and tats and things like that.

Maybe just slowing down would be enough right now. It would give your girlfriend some breathing space, and give both of you some time to work on your life plans - school, work ... love too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:02 pm
Any reason is a good enough reason to break up if it's really important to one of the people.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
ehBeth wrote:
In really really general terms, I don't think that breaking up strictly based on the numbers is right. However, I do think that you're both young enough that you've got some time to slow down and reflect on marriage and kids' names and tats and things like that.

Maybe just slowing down would be enough right now. It would give your girlfriend some breathing space, and give both of you some time to work on your life plans - school, work ... love too.

Yes, listen to ehBeth, and take notice that it's not the age difference that matters, it is more complicated than that. Just give it some time, and if you are really serious, make plans.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:15 pm
Also listen to Eva....find out if it is ONLY the age difference that matters to your partner.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:44 pm
oh, and about the ink. Most reputable tattoo artists won't put another person's name on your body - other than your child's. It's sort of considered bad form to ink a person's name.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:49 pm
Especially if the nickname is "Bobbie", and they run out of ink, leaving you with "Bob".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:56 pm
It's also my understanding, trying to remove tattoo a is a very painful process.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:56 pm
I think it's pretty rare for a relationship to ever be thrown away "just 'cause of [fill in the blank]." Well, Seinfeld excepted. The "just 'cause of ___" is generally the tip of the iceberg. She might say, "He broke up with me just 'cause I was half an hour late," but it's really that he broke up with her because she is irresponsible, selfish, thoughtless, and perpetually late, and was late to his grandmother's funeral after swearing up and down to meet him there 15 minutes early.

Etc.

So, 18-23, whatever, though it's about the most meaningful 5-year age gap you can get. (As in, those five years are a more generally significant difference than say 38-43.) But I'd be very surprised if it was really JUST about the age difference, all by itself.

Good luck, Joshua.
0 Replies

joshua232

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:42 am
ok
ok i got it i will try to talk to her
0 Replies

joshua232

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
i tryed she say its just the age
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:14 pm
That's probably because we've already said what needs to be said. No sense in repeating what others have already written.

The girl wants to break up. The age thing is just a convenient excuse. There's nothing you can do when someone wants to leave. Nothing that will work, that is. I'm sorry it didn't work out, Joshua. Time to move on.
0 Replies