If Kerry lied, would it matter?

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:48 am
Respectfully disagree Revel. I think you are thinking about another vote.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:56 am
I was thinking of the 1993 economic plan. I know you will discredit this but on this topic I found an interesting website about the clinton/gore economic success. (admittedly from their side)

http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/EOP/OP/Budget2000/surplus.html

I just thought it helpful for others who may have forgotten how it was then.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:24 am
In 1993, Clinton had a Democrat controlled House and Senate. That was the year that they passed a large tax increase that was mostly rolled back along with major welfare reform after the Republicans gained a modest majority in Congress in 1994. It was those initiatives by that progressive thinking batch of GOP zealots that drove economic growth and produced a balanced budget. Much of their good work has been squandered by excessive spending more recently however and I'm angry at the whole bunch of them.

I'm not denying Clinton his place in the sun here, however. Once the ball started rolling, he didn't get in the way and he signed off on the initiatives that did some very good things.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:17 am
· Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve Chairman, 2/20/96: The deficit reduction in the President's 1993 Economic Plan was "an unquestioned factor in contributing to the improvement in economic activity that occurred thereafter."

· Business Week, 5/19/97: "Clinton's 1993 budget cuts, which reduced projected red ink by more than $400 billion over five years, sparked a major drop in interest rates that helped boost investment in all the equipment and systems that brought forth the New Age economy of technological innovation and rising productivity."

· Goldman Sachs, March 1998: One of the reasons Goldman Sachs cites for "the best economy ever" is that "on the policy side, trade, fiscal, and monetary policies have been excellent, working in ways that have facilitated growth without inflation. The Clinton Administration has worked to liberalize trade and has used any revenue windfalls to reduce the federal budget deficit."

· U.S. News & World Report, 6/17/96: "President Clinton's budget deficit program begun in 1993... [led] to lower interest rates, which begat greater investment growth (by double digits since 1993, the highest rate since the Kennedy administration), which begat three-plus years of solid economic growth averaging 2.6 percent annually, 50 percent higher than during the Bush presidency."

· Paul Volcker, former Federal Reserve Chairman, Audacity, Fall 1994: "The deficit has come down, and I give the Clinton Administration and President Clinton himself a lot of credit for that... and I think we're seeing some benefits."

I stand corrected that it was a republican controlled congress. However, not a single republican voted for that for vote and Gore did decide the vote. Others apparently disagree with you when the economic recovery began as can be seen by some of the quotes I took from the link I provided in my previous post.

The 1994 economic plan was started by Clinton himself and the congress had to forced to go along with it. The republicans offered an alternative plan that was rejected.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V114/N11/budget.11w.html
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:21 am
Good points Revel. I'll rethink my position on this one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:32 am
smooch
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:04 am
ok and thanks
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:18 pm
Nothing like a little sunshine on a fine spring morning. Thanks Revel.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:43 am
The following does not speak to the question at the head of this thread, but it is relevant...

Quote:
copies of the tape were provided to two news organizations by the Republican National Committee, according to several media staff members familiar with the situation who, not surprisingly, said they could not be identified while discussing confidential sources.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51419-2004Apr28.htm

(registration required)
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:43 pm
I went to this site and it says the page cannot be found. What is it about? Politicle Im sure.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:13 pm
Rabel: you have to register to get to the page.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:28 pm
rabel

Sorry. A typing error on my part made the link invalid. But Joe is right too, you'll need to register, but that's simple as pie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:03 pm
Depends on what kind of pie. Wink
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:29 pm
I did register. Lemon.
0 Replies