Painless bug bites that draws blood, Very strange.

Portal Star

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:01 am
Sounds like a good mixture.

I wore that burt's bees "all natural" bug repellent out hiking once and the mosquitoes had a fiesta. I was total metaphorical salsa dip, covered in sores. The only stuff that really works is deet. Too bad that most things poisonous to other living creatures are poisonous to us (and bird eggs...).
0 Replies

KristineT8

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 04:43 pm
Re: Painless bug bites that draws blood, Very strange.
Quote:
(no pain or irratation but bleeding). This is very unusual considering that the bites are painless and yet numerous and extreme.
?

The same type of bites just happened to my three kids, only on the back of the neck and head, they had blood, but didnt feel anything bite them, and they dont itch, i came on here looking to see what it was, i did see the bug crawling on my youngest daughter, and when i grabbed it , it smushed and out came all the blood, so i really couldnt see what type of bug it was, but it def. had wings and was black, i am gonna try a search on it now, and let you know what i come up with. BTW the kids were playing for a few minutes in the sand, maybe sandflies? i will be back gonna go look it up.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:02 pm
Portal: are you confusing DEET with DDT?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 10:48 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Portal: are you confusing DEET with DDT?

DDT is bad for bird eggs, DEET is bad for developing children. Poison is poison is poison.
0 Replies

diloglm

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:23 am
Problem with welts ?bug bites onthe back of neck too, help
My kids and I have all developed these weird bug bites that look like reddened welts, just like the picture in one of the previous posts. I thought that they were just mosquito bites at first, however I think it is really strange that we did not feel the bites and that they are all located around the nape of the neck or just into the scalp. They itch now and seem to have a single hole in the center. We have seen pinchers outside but not inside. We live in North/East Maryland. How do I prevent this from happening? My 16 month old has a bite too. Very gross!
0 Replies

CHRISSYD N B

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:37 pm
MAY KNOW ABOUT THE BITES- EXCEPT DILOGLM
I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD SON AND I LIVE IN ONTARIO, CANADA. I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE PICS OF YOUR DAUGHTERS BITES- IVE BEEN LOOKING ONLINE FOR HOURS!!!! I THINK THE BITES ARE FROM SOME FORM OF ASSASSIN BUG AS I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND SOME IN MY HOME. wAY TO GO PIFFKA! THEY INJECT AN ANALGESIC WHEN THEY BITE AND AN ANTICOAGULANT SO THEY CAN FEED WITHOUT THE BLOOD CLOTTING. THATS WHY THEY WERE PAINFREE AND THEY WERE STILL DRIPPING FROM HAVING JUST BEEN BITTEN. THEY CAN FEED FOR UP TO 18 MINS. MY SON HAD 2 BITES ON THE BACK OF HIS NECK JUST LIKE YOUR DAUGHTER BUT THEY WERE CLOSED (NO BLEEDING) DISCOVERED IN THE MORNING. I THINK THEY HAPPENED AT NIGHT. A NURSE FRIEND COULDNT IDENTIFY THEM AND THERE DID NOT SEEM TO BE A PUNCTURE MARK - IT WAS MORE OF A BLOOD BLISTER UNDER THE SKIN. IT BLED UPON PINCHING IT. THEY WERE GONE IN 2-3 DAYS WITHOUT HARM. IVE BEEN RESEARCHING THEM SINCE WE MOVED IN LAST SUMMER- AND THERE WERE FLOCKS OF THEM ON THE WINDOW IN HIS ROOM (ACTAULLY BOTH ASSASSIN AND LEAFFOOTED WHICH LOOK THE SAME BUT ACT DIFFERENT) GENERALLY, ASSASSIN BUGS EAT OTHER INSECTS WHICH WOULD EXPLAIN THEM IN THE SANDBOX WITH ALL THE OTHERS YOU LISTED AND THEY ALSO EAT BEDBUGS AND WILL COME INDOORS SO WATCH FOR THEM AT NIGHT TOO AND CHECK BEDDING. BLACKFLY BITES DO HURT. APPARENTLY THEY ARE RELATIVELY HARMLESS (KISSING BUGS) UNLIKE OTHERS IN THE SPECIES HOWEVER, THE CONCERN ASSOCIATED WITH THEM IS THAT THE BITE CAN SOMETIMES PRODUCE ANAPHALACTIC SHOCK IN INDIVIDUALS ALLERGIC TO THE ENZYMES INJECTED. THE OTHER ASSASSIN BUGS PRODUCE PAINFUL BITES AND WOULD HAVE BEEN FELT. KISSING BUGS LIKE THE SOFTER SKIN AROUND THE EYES AND LIPS, HENCE THE NAME. THIS IS PROBOBLY YOUR CULPRIT. THEY CAN SPRAY FOR THEM BUT THEY DO NEST WHERE BIRDS AND RODENTS DO OUTSIDE. THEY ARE MOSTLY NOCTURNAL AS WELL. THEIR PROPER NAME IS THE CONE-NOSED BUG FROM THE FAMILY REDUVIIDAE (SP?). KRISTINET8- THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE KISSING BUG- THEIR WINGS CROSS OVER TO FORM A KIND OF X AND THEY CAN BE ALMOST BLACK WITH MARKINGS- THERE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD SITES ONLINE WITH GREAT CLOSEUPS. GWANAPLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOUR DOCTOR IS ABLE TO CONFIRM IT - MY SONS WERE GONE BEFORE WE COULD FIND OUT FOR SURE BUT SINCE FINDING MORE ID LIKE TO BE CERTAIN BEFORE THEY EAT HIM AGAIN- IM GONNA HAVE THEM SPRAY IF ITS THEM-THEY SEEM TO BE NASTY LITTLE BUGS!!!
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:14 am
I love the name of those little thingies - kissing bugs. Very cute!

http://www.naturalwonders.net/images/kissing_bug.jpg
0 Replies

christymerge

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:27 pm
@gwana,
Does anyone know what these bites really are?
My daughters and I went to the local park (around woods) on Thursday today is Monday. My 6 month old had 1 bite behind her ear. The mark is now gone.
My 3 year old has 9 bites on her head 1 on top of her head(which was the first one I saw because of the dried blood), 1 in the back of her head and the rest are about 1/2 inch into her hair line from above the ear back around her neck to the other side of her ear. Friday morning these bites where the size of peas under the skin. She says they itch and have now become oozing scabs.
The bites started as red round marks like the ones in gwanas pictures.
They are not bed bug, lady bug, mosquito, earwig or tick bites.
I live in South Eastern, Michigan.
genereauxl

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 09:23 pm
@christymerge,
Wow, Last minute wanted to search whether anything was posted about this. Last night as well, my daughter and I were outside playing. I noticed a bug at one point and grabbed it out of her hair.t. By the end of outside play, she had over 10 suspicious red spots, innitially covered in a dried up blood spot, throughout her scalp. This is too darn freaky... Somebody please know..
genereauxl

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 09:32 pm
@genereauxl,
I also live in Southeast mi. Macomb County
kayaye

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 01:07 pm
@genereauxl,
We are in Lancaster, PA. Today my three kids had strange head/neck bites. Two kids had dried blood in a circle the size of their fingernail- one of those two had several spots like that. The third child just had a red spot the same size as the dried blood on her brothers. The two eldest children only had one spot each, while my youngest, who is two, had the most spots and dried blood areas on his head. He complained that his neck hurt and that's when I found the first evidence of dried blood spots in that region. His bites were all around the hairline on his neck. What is this??? When should moms worry... I'm actually less worried now that I found it on all of them b/c that makes me think it was a flying creature, rather than a tick or something crawly. The red spots on their necks looked just like the photos taken by the original poster...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 01:32 pm
The question was solved - folks, please read the whole thread.
kayaye

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't think it was resolved completely. There were several ideas and possibilities mentioned, then other people who were off on other tangents... Not to mention, with this many comments, it's easy enough to miss!! Care to help a sister out? If not for this poor, feeble mother, then how about for the sake of her small, sweet children? Wink
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 08:10 pm
@kayaye,
I thought people ended up agreeing on blackflies. I admit I read fast.
0 Replies

naneharvey

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:23 pm
@gwana,
I just found this through a search. My significant other went out briefly last night (in Philly) and came back in with a small spot on her arm that just started to bleed. Didn't hurt, she felt nothing outside, but it bled for a bit and when it stopped there was just a little red mark. Weird, but even weirder that's it's happened to other people in this region years ago...
0 Replies

Isabela

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 04:08 am
@gwana,
its totally unbelievable. how could it be happened. its strange that doctor too didnt found anything but whatever they should stay away from sandbox.
0 Replies

gnat finder

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 08:23 pm
Hi,
I was investigating this same type of bug bite. My daughters both had blood dripping down their foreheads and down the back of their necks. Neither felt the bites. We were in Western Wisconsin on vacation when they got them. What I have found is GNAT bites. They "saw" open the skin and then spit anti-coagulant on the area, soothe blood just drips out. Now we both know!

Hope your mind is put at ease.

gnatfinder
0 Replies

heather43

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 06:29 am
@gwana,
I live in Buffalo,Ny..and a few years back when my boys were young they were bitten by the same thing.I found the bites on the neck or head always and I only noticed because of the blood dripping down their backs.I called the doctor after noticing them for a couple days.They asked me to try and catch one for a sample and bring it to them.Apparantly,it is a new bug that they are hearing about,but know nothing about it.Well,summer ended and I never did get the sample bug.Few years have gone by and no sign of the bites or bug..until...last night!!My boyfriend and I took a walk down to a creek behind my house and he felt blood dripping down his neck!!They are back!I don't know myself what they are.I know what they look like though.They are small,almost the size of an ant,and they look like a beetle almost,with a tiny yellow stripe.Try to catch one in the act and but it in a baggie.Take it to your doctor so they can have it tested to tell you what exactly it is.Sorry,not much help,but I had to write becauss it is the same bug we are talking about,and none of the other comments seem to be t
THIS bug!
0 Replies

Blossominglove

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 10:51 am
I am in mn, my kids have them too several on each kido, we live in a country setting, no water near by no sand box either. And no bed bugs or earwigs. I've seen them for a bout a wk I also have had 2 on myself. However on one of the kids I found it early enough the blood was fresh as I cleaned it I found a small specimen that looked like a worm, was about a quarter inch long and also blood red. ???????
cryberg

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 10:15 am
@Blossominglove,
I live in MN as well and my 2 daughters have red bumps that bleed. I have not seen any worm or anything on them but they DO have a sandbox. Someone told me they are gnat bites but now I am concerned they may be more than that since it has almost been a week and the youngest has 1 on the top of her head now. They are mainly on the hairline on the back of their necks but the each have at least 1 on their head. I dont know if the bite is causing the bleeding or if it bleeds when they scratch it. They bleed so bad it looks like they cut themselves but then it dries and that is when we typically notice them.