Zax
I will try a # 2
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 11:43 am
(Just a reminder for the new page:)

1 a cool cat with a saxophone
2 Anglo-Saxon word for a tiling tool
3 a small, round cake covered in powdered sugar, more commonly known as a doughnut hole.
4 a spike for making holes in slates
5 the airline code for Zanzibar
6 tool used by the ancient Egyptians surgeons to bore holes in the skulls.
7 The name given to Cleopatra's number one's cat
8 cross between a yak and a zebra
9 a tragic heroine in an Albanian lyrican ballad
10 the offspring of a zebra and a jackass
11 a dialect word for the golden saxifrage (Chrysoplenium oppositifolium)
12 one of a set of twin jaguar gods from pre-columbian Aztec folklore.
13 the offspring of a female donkey and a male zebra
14 military slang for a deadly neurotoxic gas
15 mutated cells generated during early embryonic development.

0 Replies

Taffy Le Blanc

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 11:43 am
zax
Sounds like my cup of tea I go for #1
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
come on, Felix, your girlfriend has chosen!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 06:22 pm
Mmreow, did someone call? Ah yes, Taffy always has such good taste, while I, on the other hand, er, paw...anyway, here we go--

Felix Noir picks #7, a beauty.

My human, Diane, stays with the ancient Egyptian theme and picks # 6.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:25 am
Only hiama missing now.... the suspense is killing, isn't it?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:42 pm
It is Very Happy!

A murder mystery... based around the Balderdash game... having no murder in it at all.

A million-spinning idea, or what Very Happy?
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 02:23 pm
My guess is number 4
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
Not, drom. Ah, jtf, welcome to the game - pity you didn't bluff, you might have gained myriad points.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:40 pm
Welcome to the game, jtf!

And the murder mystery hmm gives me an idea for a game but I'll have to sit down for a while and try to work out how we could do it. Ah, a project for this evening .... :-D
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:15 pm
Sad... but you'd put down anything that doesn't involve taking over Switzerland. Even winning the Eurovision with a depressing song and you and McTag dancing. Damn it.

I'm intrigued at your idea, Jes Very Happy.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:17 am
Um, huh? My back's bothering me, so no dancing today.

Okay, mystery game - the general idea (which I'm trying to make interesting) is to guess a member's identity from 5 clues. You can use anything on A2K, so something like "this member has big feet" is only game if the member has mentioned that somewhere, either in a post or in his or her profile. And anything descriptive is game, e. g. the avatar, userid, join date, # of posts, location, sig line and, of course, posts.

But I'm trying to make the scoring interesting without getting too complicated. And, the original idea was for a murder mystery, e. g. we'd figure out whodunit. I still prefer that idea but am unsure how to (pardon the pun) execute it. So right now I'm with the guess the member idea, so, for example

Clues:
1) This member does not live in North America.
2) He or she is a veteran member.
3) His or her username has no spaces in it.
4) This member joined A2K in 2003.
5) His or her sig line refers to something outside earth.

Problem with this set of clues, though, is it refers to either Clary or you, drom, so there needs to be a way for someone to guess and get it right. With careful wording, there's more than one answer to this puzzle. Actually, hmm, that might not be such a bad thing.

I had figured on scoring like this:
3 pts if you're the one and only correct guesser or
3 pts for the mysterymaker if no one gets it right
2 pts for the mysterymaker if the name is guessed or
2 pts for the first person to get the name right and
1 pt for everyone else who gets it right

But I fear that's too complicated. Anyway, my idea is to reward the first person to venture a guess and discourage people from just jumping on the bandwagon.

Anyway, perhaps I've derailed this topic long enough, PM me suggestions, I'd like to make this workable somehow and am open to any and all suggestions. :-D
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:25 am
I think that that's a brilliant idea, Jes; complicated at first, but I'm sure that we could all pick it up. I think that I have it.

As for multiples; that's good, it makes things more exciting but, perhaps, if the choices have to be whittled down to one, maybe people can agree to ask for an extra clue... (and, perhaps again, maybe the extra clues can be either true or a bluff, and people have to figure those out? Actually, that's probably too complicated.) But-- the prize of points goes down, somehow, as if it did not, then people would just ask for more clues.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:25 am
As for making a murder-mystery game; I'll think of that further...

0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:52 am
You mean a murder mystery game as in one of those old suspense novels, where the detective finds a murder victim and a set of clues that ultimately lead to the perpetrator?

That might be challenging to pull of alone, drom...
Naj.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:09 am
Yes, that's what I mean - there's a victim and a perp, but since we have to guess who the killer is, that inevitably leads to a "guess who this is"-type of game. We could, though, also guess the victim and maybe even the method of killing etc. like in the old Clue game. Could get confusing, though, if the "victim" continues posting. Hmmm.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:24 am
While I never played much of AD&D, perhaps in their method lies a way to deal with this game situation.

One person should become the game master, if (s)he wants. (S)he then sketches out the details of a murder on paper, to get all the information straight. Then create a couple of suspects, with very caracteristic roles (The extremely polite English butler, the somewhat backward and/or mysterious gardener, the crushed late husband/wife of the deceased, the gossiping ladies of the card club, etc.)

Once those details are somewhat fixed, several A2Kers good be pm'ed to ask for their cooperation. If they agree, they could get a role from the game masters, along with several clues to provide and answers to give to certain questions.
(Eg, when asked what kind of dress the female victim was wearing to the dance, the answer should be : "She was dressed in that dashing blue tutu, apparently the latest extravaganza in Paris.")

That way, some inconsistencies could be build in the plot... Making it easier for the detectives to unravel the truth.

I hope this makes sense? It would be a looong game however, unless both detectives and suspects answer relatively quickly.

Naj.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:11 pm
Hmm that's a possibility. What I was thinking of now is a bit more basic so that hopefully it could be played more quickly and players wouldn't lose interest.

The gamesmaster would get clues from some mysterious source (the secret A2K clues computer). The clues would come in 3s - 1 about the victim, 1 about the perp and 1 about the forum in which the murder occurred. A 4th element could be added, the weapon used, but we'd have to limit weapons somehow or else that would encompass an almost infinite variety. Everything else would be limited to things seen on A2K that could be read by all, so nothing in PMs or emails or external sites (even if linked to on A2K), and nothing in restricted forums.

The gamesmaster would give the 3 (or 4) clues to the detectives who could confer amongst themselves. As they went along, they'd start to figure out some of the elements, but the clues would still go out in 3s or 4s.

So the 1st round might be
The victim's location is not of this earth.
The perp has a puppy avatar.
The forum in which it occurred has an ampersand in its title.
The weapon was chewed by the dog.

So a guess would be, the victim is najmelliw, the perp is jespah, the forum is Trivia & Word Games and the weapon is rope.

Essentially, it'd be a lot like a game of Clue.

Would this work?
0 Replies