I ruined my relationship and I don't know what to do.

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 05:15 pm
Okay, so I'm 18 years old, and I've never been in a serious relationship before. I don't really know why. I've had boys who have wanted to date me in the past, but I have just always been a very independent person. I started college this past fall, and I met a boy. We clicked immediately and we became very good friends. He had a girlfriend of almost two years at the time, and I didn't have an interest in dating him anyway. He was just a good friend. He was having a lot of issues with his girlfriend, and when he broke up with her, I was there to comfort him. We started talking a lot more and he started to develop feelings for me. After much playing-hard-to-get, I finally realized that I liked him too and decided that I really wanted to give this boy a chance. He was really sweet to me, and I ended up completely falling for him. We officially dated for a week, but at the end of that week he told me that he really cared about me, but didn't feel comfortable getting right into another relationship again after his last one ended so badly. This I completely understood. I really liked him, so I wanted him to be comfortable with everything, so we decided to take things slow. So we continued to spend a lot of time together. We pretty much acted like we were boyfriend/girlfriend. But after about 2 months of this, right before we left for winter break, I noticed that he was texting his ex-girlfriend. I was really bothered by this, but I was afraid to bring it up because I didn't want to seem obsessive. But because break was coming I decided it was important to bring up. So I just casually asked him why he was texting her and told him that it made me feel kind of insecure. He was extremely apologetic and said that he really liked me and shouldn't have been talking to her. I asked him is if still had feelings for her or if he had any interest in dating her again. And he looked straight into my eyes and promised me that he didn't. So I believed him. But about half-way through winter break he stopped texting me. I was the one who always had to start the conversation. I still trusted him so I tried to tell myself that it was nothing. The first day back this semester, he asked me to go for a walk with him. So of course I agreed and when I went to his dorm room , he had pictures of him and his girlfriend all over his room. I was obviously surprised and hurt, but I didn't know what to say. So we went on our walk and he acted like everything was the same. So I brought it up and asked him if he had gotten back with his ex over break and he said he had. I was so distraught. I didn't know what to say. I felt heartbroken, used, and betrayed. I liked this boy so much and had given so much of myself to him in such a short amount of time. The worst part is that I felt it was my fault. I felt that I just wasn't good enough for him. I just couldn't live up to his ex-girlfriend. I still liked this boy so much that when he asked if we could still be friends I said yes, even though I knew in my heart that friends would never be enough for me. I guess I was just afraid to lose him, so being friends was better than nothing. We talked a lot less after that. I tried to play it off like I was okay, but I was truly feeling lonely and depressed. After about two weeks of barely talking to eachother (and when we did talk it was very tense) I couldn't take it anymore, so I broke down and told him I missed him and wanted him back (pathetic I know). He then told me that he and his girlfriend broken up again, and that he also missed what we had before. He kept saying these sort of things to me, but he never actually said that he wanted to be with me, so I was very confused. And every time I tried to text him to ask him if we could talk about it, he would ignore me or say that he didn't want to talk about. This is where I know I messed up. I started to act clingy (I know this was worst thing I could do, but I really couldn't control myself). I continued to text him and kept telling him that I missed him. I continued to pour out all my emotions and feelings to him and he stopped responding to me. He won't even respond to simple texts anymore. I don't know what to do know. I like this person so much! I have never felt this way about someone else. Even though he lead me on and pretty much kicked me to the curb without a second thought and without talking to me about it, I still can't help but care about him. I don't know what it is, but I have such a strong feeling about him that I just can't let him go. I don't know what to do because I know that I ruined everything and I just want him back. Not even as a boyfriend, but as a friend. I can't live with myself feeling that he thinks I'm some clingy little girl. This person is very important to me and I need him in my life one way or another, and I don't know how to fix it. I know this is a long post, but I am in desperate need of advice. I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,221 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 05:24 pm
@AnnaGerity,
AnnaGerity wrote:
Okay, so I'm 18 years old, and I've never been in a serious relationship before. ....

This sentence explains nearly everything.

The guy wants space, you don't give it, can't give it and he's done. But, to dig a bit deeper, he was kind of a rat to you. He certainly didn't wait to be broken up with you before going back to his earlier girlfriend (and didn't seem to do the same in reverse with you, either. That should have been a red flag to you).

So, what to do?

Reconnect with your girlfriends. Tell stories about how lousy some people are.

Remind yourself that he hurt you.

Delete his contact info. Don't answer any texts.

And hold your head up.
AnnaGerity

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 05:33 pm
@jespah,
Thank you jespah!
I know what you're saying is true! Logically, I can tell myself to move on, but it's just hard when I'm so emotionally involved. I'll just give it some time! Thank you for your reply! And so quick too!
jespah

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 06:52 pm
@AnnaGerity,
Aw, hell. Smile

I remember being 18. Dinosaur riding had recently been outlawed.
0 Replies

trishathelizardqueen

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:00 pm
@AnnaGerity,
you know what i realized about guys sometime? when they ask for space, the best thing you could do is give it to them and focus on yourself. I never want anyone that doesn't want me more. that should be your motto. You first. You have value, you have worth. if anyone is too terrible to see that then he is not worth you. because youre worth it. give yourself attention. funny thing can and will happen. when someone sees that youre not reacting the way they think? they start to scratch there heads to wonder what's wrong with this picture? and maybe realize, mainly after it's too late, what a mistake they made. but by then, you've love yourself so much that that absent of that person is filled up by you just loving you and living your life.
0 Replies

trishathelizardqueen

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:07 pm
@AnnaGerity,
oh, and don't waste your pearls of someone who doesn't deserve them. give your heart to someone that will give you theres also one hundred percent. not someone simply using another person to get over his ex. that's a loser. remind yourself of that. you'll see how much you won't think about this person again.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 10:19 pm
Go and sin no more.
0 Replies

TheMomoKitsune

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:01 am
@jespah,
Very very good advice here honey.

This boy is going to mess you about big time and you are worth more than that. Keep your chin up you intelligent beautiful lady.

Know that all us ladies are behind you, we have experienced the same.

And you need to have a girly night with your chicas Wink

Trust me, if you waste time with this one, you might miss that one who's going to treat you right x
0 Replies