breakup due to stress ... =/

blnz

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 08:05 pm
Hey there just need some sort of advice or something ...

I had been going out with a guy for over a month and even I will admit things between us seemed to move fast .. you know that feeling when you feel that you have known someone for years because of how comfortable you feel with them? Well that was how it was with us. But recently he has been dealing with a lot of stress due to work and some medical issues he has had .. then all of a sudden he said he wasn't sure if he could deal with the added stress of us aswell and pushed me away. He keeps saying he doesn't know what to do, and adamant he still really likes me a lot and his mind is '****ed' right now. He ended it with me saying how he doesn't think he can do this anymore due to his stresses. I asked him if he thinks after he is under less pressure will he maybe chance his mind or realise he has made a mistake.. he keeps saying he doesn't know and cant even talk about it. What should I do .. this has come all of sudden out of blue. Do I give up on him or wait for him? Hardest situation ever!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,156 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 07:08 am
@blnz,
Give him some space. Give yourself (not him) a timetable. Whatever that is - the summer? The end of two months? The end of the calendar year?

Just decide whatever is reasonable (and maybe add 10% to that) and use that as your waiting period. In the meantime, go out and have fun! You are not tied down to this guy at all. If you want to kiss someone or even have sex with them, go for it with the usual precautions. You're a free woman.

Once the waiting period is up, assess the situation. Have you met someone you like better? Have you had fun just being single and not dating anyone? Have you missed this guy? Has he made an effort to get back together?

If he has made no efforts, and in particular if you have met someone else or have had fun otherwise, cut your ties completely and consider the waiting period to be over. Do you tell him? Nah; there's nothing to tell.

If he has made efforts, but you're finding you're happier without him, then cut your ties, but this time tell him. Use the old, "It's not you, it's me." Because that will be true – you are causing the breakup because you've moved on (there's no shame in this, BTW, don't feel bad about it and own it).

If he has made efforts, and things are better and he's asked you to be patient, and you like him and want to be with him, then the answer there is pretty obvious, too.

But create a certain date in your head. Be reasonable and be generous and be flexible. But don't make it indefinite.
0 Replies