My God! It's Full of Stars!

rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 01:05 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Yeh, but you have to speculate with something more meaningful than magic, because magic doesn't impart any information.

Do you think telepathy is magic, or do you have some speculation upon what scientific mechanism it operates?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 01:47 pm
@RushPoint,
I'm sure you didn't, and you didn't misinterpret Setanta's reaction to it.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 01:48 pm
@rosborne979,
I wouldn't call telepathy "magic", it might just be a human ability that lies dormant for most of the time.
We hear examples of it now and again; for example an Aussie Mosquito pilot crashed in Burma in WW2 and he and his observer were captured by the japs.
I forget his name, he survived the war and wrote an autobiog (I forget the title), and in it he mentioned that after the war he learnt that an old ex-girlfriend of his in London had woken up at the exact time of his crash and phoned around her friends saying "I think something's just happened to X"
rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 02:17 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
An "ability" has to have some functional mechanism. And no matter what anyone claims, there definitely isn't a single shred of verifiable evidence for telepathy of any kind. All there are is rumors and stories and lies.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 02:17 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Speculation is a valuable part of science because it explores new ideas, ...
Here Fab I'd agree: The notions of intuition for instance are vastly underrated

Quote:
…..had woken up at the exact time of his crash and phoned around her friends saying "I think something's just happened to X"
Come on now Fab, in a case of this sort I'm compelled to agree with Ros. How can anyone possibly entertain the coincidence as some sort of telepathy
0 Replies

RushPoint

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 02:31 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
the speed of thought is actually neurochemical so it would actually be slower then the speed of a radio wave. The neuro transmissions in your head only have to travel a short distance which would make them almost instantaneous.
0 Replies

RushPoint

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 04:53 pm
@rosborne979,
ya, telepathy is up there with ghosts and alien abductions, only evidence are first hand testimonies of half baked farmers and a bunch of fuzzy over developed photos!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 05:48 pm
Joseph Banks Rhine studied psychology at Harvard, and in 1927, moved to Duke University in Durham, North Carolina to continue to study with this mentor from Harvard. In 1935, based on Rhine's work, Duke University established the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory--thereafter referred to as the Rhine Institute. Some time in the 1960s, Duke severed its relationship with the Rhine Institute.

After almost 80 years of investigating parapsychological claims, the Rhine Institute has never produced a shred of reliable, scientific evidence for extra-sensory perception, telepathy, telekinesis or precognition. None of their subjects (often, but not exclusively, students) ever consistently "beat" the roughly 40% level for "mind reading" flash cards being read by alleged telepaths. (Those flash cards were based on five symbols, and the 40% figure is the statistical proability of correctly guessing what card is beinf viewed.) After almost 80 years, it's reasonable to assert that if there were anything to it, something would have been turned up by now. Nothing has been.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 06:55 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Congratulations on finding the quote function
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 07:16 pm
Quote:
Setanta said: After almost 80 years of investigating parapsychological claims, the Rhine Institute has never produced a shred of reliable, scientific evidence for extra-sensory perception, telepathy, telekinesis or precognition

No sweat, all that tells us is that the negative vibes of the scientists and professors are scuppering the experiments!
For example remember when Jesus went to bring that little girl back to life and everybody said "Get outta here, she's dead!"
He had to kick them and their neg vibes out of the room and only let her parents and his closest disciples remain with their POSITIVE vibes before he could bring her back..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Jesus-girl.jpg
rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 07:20 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
No sweat, all that tells us is that the negative vibes of the scientists and professors are scuppering the experiments!

More likely they were just being accurate with their measurements and not allowing subjective judgements and wishful thinking corrupt their results.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
For example remember when Jesus went to bring that little girl back to life and everybody said "Get outta here, she's dead!"
He had to kick them and their neg vibes out of the room and only let her parents and his closest disciples remain before he could bring her back.

You can't use fairy tales as examples to prove a point.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 07:31 pm
Quote:
Rosborne said: You can't use fairy tales as examples to prove a point

If "reality" is just an illusion or dream, we can regard Jesus as a 'Master of the Art of Dream Manipulation' which would explain how he was able to bend the apparently rigid laws of physics to produce his miracles.
It's not a new idea..Smile-

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allen Poe
"You can be in my dream if i can be in your dream" -Bob Dylan
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on" -The Tempest
"Strawberry Fields...nothing is real" - The Beatles
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one'' -Einstein
"What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (Bible: James 4:14)
"You are a slave. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.
I'm trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"- (Morpheus in The Matrix)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/matrix.jpg

Jesus said "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free" (Luke 4:18)
neologist

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 07:42 pm
@neologist,
I take that back if you stop using it
0 Replies

RushPoint

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 08:00 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
religion is responsible for some of the worst atrocities known to man! from genocide, racism and conformity to hatred and ignorance of other people, other cultures or anyone different! it wasn't that long ago religion claimed science and physics were Lucifer/Satan's way of casting doubt or causing confusion, it was literally considered the literature of the Devil, "the earth was the center of the universe in which sat upon the back of a great tortes shell." The meanings of the metaphors in the bible have been change many times since the 1700's even up to now! religion now accepts science claiming "it is Gods way!" so, God likes math!, huh! Religion has changed and evolved along with us over the past few hundred years, then again, so has our image of aliens and alien space craft, the more refined or advanced our technology gets, the more complex or advanced our image of alien space craft gets! funny thing!
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 08:20 pm
Quote:
Rushpoint said: religion is responsible for some of the worst atrocities known to man!

Adolf and other psychotic slaughterous tyrants often popped into church for propaganda pics like this to try to convince the masses they were good christians, surely you're not falling for it?..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/hitler_church.jpg~original
rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 08:23 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
If "reality" is just an illusion or dream, we can regard Jesus as a 'Master of the Art of Dream Manipulation'...

You just tried to defend your point by quoting Row Row Row your boat, Life is but a Dream.

And Jesus definitely didn't perform any miracles, and he probably never even existed. Wake up. It's the 21'st century. Some of us are exploring the universe with science while you're exploring your navel with transcribed stone tablets.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 08:24 pm
Quote:
Rushpoint said: Religion has changed and evolved along with us over the past few hundred years, then again, so has our image of aliens and alien space craft, the more refined or advanced our technology gets, the more complex or advanced our image of alien space craft gets! funny thing!

You got it mate..Smile
"Praise to the Lord, to him who rides the ancient skies above,
whose power is in the skies." (Psalm 68:33-34)
"Is not God in the heights of heaven? And see how lofty are the highest stars!" (Job 22:12)

"And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it. As he was destroying, the Lord looked and relented of the disaster, and said to the angel who was destroying, “It is enough; now restrain your hand.”
Then David lifted his eyes and saw the angel of the Lord standing between earth and heaven, having in his hand a drawn sword stretched out over Jerusalem" (1 Chron 21:16/16)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/dragonstar-space.gif~original
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 08:29 pm
Quote:
Rosborne said: Jesus definitely didn't perform any miracles

You gotta be jivin us boy!
Who do you think done this stuff, Penn and Teller?

The 37 MIRACLES OF JESUS
http://www.bcbsr.com/survey/jmrcls.html
"Even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." (John 10:38)

Bringing little girl back to life
Bringing widows son back to life
Bringing Lazarus back to life
Stilling the storm
Feeding 4000
Walking on sea
Feeding 5000
Coin in fishes mouth
Withering fig tree
Big catch of fish
Water into wine
Another big fish catch
Healing leper
Healing Centurions servant
Healing Peters mother-in-law
Healing sick at evening
Healing paralysed man
Healing haemorraging woman
Healing two blind men
Healing mans withered hand
Healing Canaanite womans daughter
Healing boy with seizures
Healing blind man
Healing deaf and dumb man
Healing another blind man
Healing crippled woman
Healing man with dropsy
Healing 10 lepers
Restoring a cut-off ear
Healing noblemans sons fever
Healing crippled man at Bethesda
Healing a born-blind man
Casting out demons into pigs
Curing a mute lunatic
Casting out dirty spirit
Curing a possessed blind-dumb man
Appeared to his followers after his death
neologist

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 08:31 pm
@RushPoint,
RushPoint wrote:
. . religion is responsible for some of the worst atrocities known to man! from genocide, racism and conformity to hatred and ignorance . . . .
Read about the demise of the world's religions in Revelation, ch 17 and 18.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 08:55 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Speculation is a valuable part of science because it explores new ideas, and without it scientific advance would grind to a halt and we'd still be flying around in Sopwith Pups..Smile

Correct. But in order to be a part of science, speculation has to be followed by experiment, and for a hypothesis to be believed, it has to be reproducibly born out by experiment. Speculation followed by more speculation, with no reproducible proof at any point is a characteristic of children and simpletons.
0 Replies