My God! It's Full of Stars!

RushPoint

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 03:28 pm
@Setanta,
wow, your some kind of ass hole aren't you! my point was hypothetical and my comment was a harmless joke! although the fact your an idiot is no joke! quantum entanglement was a theory at one time, now it is a fact! maybe if your head wasn't shoved so far up your ass you could join the rest of us in the 21 century! leave physics to people with enough creative imagination and understanding that the impossible is today only, tomorrow is a completely different story! opinions such as yours are stifled and dry!

many, many things were at one time thought to be impossible! some of these things are now factual science and common knowledge! the last 6 years of discovery have changed physics as we know it!

Intelligence is not a measure of what we know, but the ability to seek out and find the answers to the questions we pose!
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 03:33 pm
@RushPoint,
Go f*ck yourself, ass wipe. I tried being civil to you and i get **** from you. Go feel sorry for yourself now, i'll bet that's your style.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 03:47 pm
@RushPoint,
Quote:
do you think there is life out there?
Rush most assuredly

Quote:
if so, what do you think this life would be like? intelligent?
Unquestionably

Quote:
more so than us?
There's probably a limit beyond which additional smarts wouldn't contribute to longevity

Quote:
or would you prefer to believe that we are the only ones?
The suggestion is positively absurd; I'm the only kindergartner that owns a dog

Quote:
or the only intelligent ones for that matter.
Intelligence is an inevitable product of evolution

I know Rush you weren't asking me but couldn't resist
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 05:21 pm
@RushPoint,
Communications also hit the light speed limit. So unless wormholes and the like end up being real, communications will not be practical.
RushPoint

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 05:43 pm
@Setanta,
you made no attempt to be civil! you started with an insult and ended with an insult! take your attitude somewhere else TROLL!
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 05:56 pm
For some reason "alien hooded monks" feature in many close encounters like mine, for example in this clip a bunch of them mess with Christopher Walken in the film 'Communion' based on Whitley Strieber's true abduction account-

PS- Hey Rush, A2K is an almost un-moderated board, meaning any junkie or drunk can wander in off the street and start talking ****, but if you want sensible debates and discussions try a moderated board, there are plenty out there..Smile
0 Replies

RushPoint

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 06:01 pm
@jespah,
well, wormholes aside, there are things in physics that deny all current logic, there are also currently theories that claim that light may in fact not be the fastest moving particles in the realm of quantum physics, I agree that communications are as of this day in age quite unlikely due to obvious limits but the things physicists are realizing "plausible" are nothing short of astonishing, things we would have 10 years ago thought impossible or that of science fiction. Things like particle duality and the recent "double slit experiment" or "entanglement".
So, ya never know! maybe in a few hundred years we might have a different perspective on this very topic!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 06:28 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
So unless wormholes and the like end up being real, communications will not be practical.
Yea Jes, planets with just the right conditions for evolution must be far between; and then there's the problem of simultaneity in their evolution. But given our huge numbers overall, it's sure that a small fraction having the same technology at the same time are close enough to one another to communicate. Of course a small fraction of a huge number can still be pretty huge
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 06:33 pm
I think that it would be very strange if on trillions of planets circling trillions of stars, we were unique. Radio communication using electromagnetic waves is pretty much out as a means of communicating with them, as has already been noted, because the delay between each message would be many years. It may be possible to detect someone's internal communication with radio telescopes. That could confirm the existence of intelligent and technological life. It might be theoretically possible to build a spaceship that could get close to the speed of light, but we are far, far from that sort of technology. I don't think that the fastest man made objects have hit 100,000 miles per hour yet and the speed of light is 670 million miles per hour. This is no matter of a few decades work. This goal is as far above us as a rocket to the Moon would be above the pilgrims in the 17th century.

As for an escape clause like quantum entanglement or warping space, I can only say that a few people in the 17th century probably talked about travelling to the Moon with a rocket, but talking about it doesn't mean that you have any capacity to do it. Achieving speeds close to light or finding a way around the light speed limit are far, far, far from our level of technology.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 06:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Radio communication using electromagnetic waves is pretty much out as a means of communicating with them, as has already been noted, because the delay between each message would be many years
The delay of course Bran would depend on the distance. Nevertheless ol' Intuition insists that radio communication is one of the first ways it will happen

Of course the number of planet pairs close enough for such communication before one or both of 'em destroying itself by overpop or in a nuclear war is a very, very, very tiny fraction of the total as I've asserted. But as I've implied, a very, very, very tiny fraction of a huge number…...
0 Replies

RushPoint

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 08:11 pm
@dalehileman,
so, the universe is some 13.8 billion years old, human beings as we are today roughly 80 thousand years, only the past couple thousand years have we been asking questions in reference to science and physics and it has only been the past hundred years or so that we have began a more fundamental understanding of what the universe is or even physics itself but, the past 40 years have been quite significant in terms of what we now realize! so... lets say we are a mere 500 years old in terms of what we understand about science and physics or the universe.

What about a life form or creature with the same set of abilities that we have "creativity, language, vast memory, ability to reason" but instead of an evolutionary timeline of a couple thousand years, lets say they have been left to evolve 90 million years! lets say they existed at around the same time our dinosaurs did but in their case there was no catastrophic incident to end their existence. they would have been evolving and possibly developing technologies the past 90 million earth years as compared to our rather short few thousand, could this not be possible? it makes me wonder what we could be like if we had 1 million years to evolve from this point in time, let alone 90 million years!
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 09:30 pm
@RushPoint,
And add to that that the sun is made of the remnants of earlier stars that lived, and died, and exploded.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:14 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Incidentally I think I might have been abducted on two separate occasions while camping alone in remote spots but i can't be sure.
Google my "Twice Taken?" article on the net, subtitled "The Spalding Incident" and "The King's Lynn Incident"
So perhaps your name is actually "Romulan Fabulini"?

Makes sense.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:58 am
@RushPoint,
Actually, you've described your behavior pretty well. It is not insulting to disagree with you, for however much you may not like it.
RushPoint

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 07:34 am
@Setanta,
disagree with me? I'm ok with that! why would I care if you disagree? that's part of the deal in a discussion! it was YOUR response to my rebutting your disagreement! you know, the one the moderator deleted because you got all defensive and insulting! all I did was make a reference to an experiment and made a harmless comment or joke, all I said was "put that in your pipe and smoke it! and you go all sideways because of that? you call me a stupid snot nose kid or something? buddy, if my comment some how insulted you, then I apologise, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! and I accept your apology for being insulting and immature!
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 09:31 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Incidentally I think I might have been abducted on two separate occasions while camping alone in remote spots but i can't be sure.
Google my "Twice Taken?" article on the net, subtitled "The Spalding Incident" and "The King's Lynn Incident"
Neologist quipped: So perhaps your name is actually "Romulan Fabulini"?

Congrats mate, that was almost funny..Smile
And yes, it's quite possible that the Romulans have been monitoring my prowess on the computer game circuit and extracted my DNA to produce an army of "Romeo battle clones" to help them conquer the galaxy..Smile

CENTURION- "Commander, we are under attack by the Star Fleet Federation!"
COMMANDER-"Quickly, launch our Romeo Clone Combat Squadron or we shall not see the stars of home again!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/STBalofTerror.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:20 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You should send that picture to Viz magazine's "Up The Arse Corner."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:22 am
@RushPoint,
None of my posts have been deleted. You told me to "put that in my pipe and smoke it." That's a rude remark. I told you it was snotty, and i then addressed the topic of discussion. I didn't call you any names. It was thereafter that you chose to call me an asshole and an idiot. Then you tell me i am a troll. Irony is not dead, it just goes unrecognized. The entire series of remarks is still there to be read. Why don't you try doing that rather than attempting to notch up the hysteria by making things up? There is nothing for which i need apologize--i responded to you in the same type of language which you introduced.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:28 am
@RushPoint,
Quote:
they would have been evolving and possibly developing technologies the past 90 million earth years as compared to our rather short few thousand, could this not be possible?
Sure Rush I'd say so, why not

….at least a few

Quote:
it makes me wonder what we could be like
Me too. Surely we would have developed robots--with wet interstices not dry--who will claim to have feeling just as we do-- and the argument will persist as to what rights they ought to have, being "machines" as they are
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:14 pm
Is trans cosmic communication or travel possible?
I dunno.
Think Higgs Field.
Could be a maybe.
Or a might be.
No matter. Just don't quote me.
0 Replies