All-Pac-10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 04:21 am
(1) In college, Tillman was a long-haired wild man on the field, an all-Pac-10 linebacker always going full speed. Bone-jarring hits were his trademark.

All-Pac-10? Bone-jarring?

(2) "Pat was a lot of things as a person," Snow said. "He was a tough, good-looking guy. He was extremely competitive. You know there is a saying with older people: 'He was a man's man.' You always knew where you stood with Pat. There was no phoniness in him."

A lot of things?

(3) What you call it - a bead or a stone that can be seen in darkness or night -- a bead/stone that can luminesce in darkness?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 08:42 pm
All-Pac-10 refers to a group of American football (not soccer) teams that are tough and competitive. In this sentence it praises his strength and ability on the football field. "Bone-jarring" means he hit (tackled the opponent) hard enough to shake his bones... To jar, here, is to bump or hit.

A lot of things -- he was capable, talented, in many areas. He could not only act from strength, as he did on the football field, he was also attractive, honest, straightforward with people -- in other words, many-faceted.

A bead or stone (or anything, for that matter) that glows in darkness is called luminescent, or sometimes fluorescent. You'd say, My sister has a necklace of luminescent beads. Or, The colors on that poster are fluorescent. As I think about it, luminescence is used more for gentle glowing, while fluorescent brings to mind a neon-type brightness...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:22 am
Edited
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:22 am
Hi Wy, Thanks for reply.

But still I could not figure out what does "Pac" in the "All-Pac-10" mean, and what does 10 mean here?

Here bead isn't pearl, see the pic below, can we call it "luminescent stone"?

http://image2.sina.com.cn/dy/c/2004-01-07/1073464411_8VayVT.jpg
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:27 am
oristarA,

I believe the "Pac" is "Pacific" as in the "Pacific 10" conference. I'm not into college ball, but it sounds like it's 10 teams in the Pacific region.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:45 am
Thanks Craven, that is more like it now. Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 07:28 pm
Craven's right (as usual...) about Pac-10... and yes, you could call it a luminescent stone, or a luminescent orb (meaning a spherical object). "Luminescent" can describe any object which glows.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:21 am
A cure all has been found! Razz
Thanks Wy.
0 Replies