known or unknown

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:56 pm
literal
n. Computer Science
A letter or symbol that represents a particular constant or number, known or unknown, and is not programmer-defined.

=============================
I think "known or unknown" modifies "constant or number", not modifying "a letter or symbol". Right?

=======================================
PS. Why is the word godmother so unusual? As I looked at the word at first sight, I was surprised because I thought it meant "mother of God", and God has been conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator who created others, and no one created Him. What a mistake!
I guess that is because sometimes God just means Jesus Christ. Right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:42 pm
Oristar, You're right that "known or unknown" refers to the constant or number.

The word godmother is not at all unusual. I agree that the concept of God having a mother is strange.

I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think that God is ever meant to be Jesus. According to Christian beliefs, he was the son of God.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:30 pm
Oristar: We have many names for family members and some names for special people who are not blood relations, but are dear to a family.

A godmother or godfather stands with the parents of a child at the child's baptism. The godparents pledge to watch over the child if something should happen to it's parents. The titles are honorific but, in some families, very important. A godparent is supposed to be the spiritual guide for the child, especially in Christianity, and makes a promise to try to keep the child on a righteous path.

Uncles and Aunts are the brothers and sisters of the parents of a child.
The brothers and sisters of a grandparent are called great-uncles and great-aunts (also heard -- granduncle or grandaunt-- but rare.) Unlike in some languages a mother's brother is an uncle and so is the father's brother, there aren't different words for each one.

===
Roberta: I don't want to turn this thread into a theology course but you've tripped into the tripartite God section --three persons in one God -- Father, Son and Holy Spirit --- all different all the same--- all God, but not three Gods--- it makes a person's head spin. All of this is Catholic theology and thus may be suspect amongst other Christian sects, but I think you will find most believers in Christ believe He was God.

Uh, is God.

Okay, off to bed.

Joe
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:55 am
Hi Roberta and Joe Hation, Thanks for confirming and inspiring. Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 06:50 am
Oooops. Sorry if I misspoke. Shoulda kept my mouth shut.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:40 pm
to be or not to be, thats the question ; )
0 Replies