This is a rather sad story

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:50 pm
I remember thinking at the time that this was a horrible career move.

I'm not making light of the situation -- this is just another tragedy that occurs on an hourly basis in the Middle East. I'm growing weary of the whole muddled situation.

another soldier dies
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,241 • Replies: 6
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:57 pm
Every death is a tragic loss, whether the soldier is an average Joe or a NFL football player. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family.

He died fighting the real "War on Terror".

I think his brother should be allowed to return home from Afghanastan. The family has already lost one son, they certainly shouldn't be asked to possibly lose a second.

As much as I love my son and would hate to send him off to war, I would be extremely proud of him if he, instead of taking the money, chose to fight in Afghanastan. Some things in life are more important than money...and avenging 9/11 and those who were responsible for it is one of them.

May he rest in peace.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Yeah, I heard that on the news this PM. Sad. As career moves go, it was an unfortunate choice. At least it was in Afghanistan, where we should be.

"I'm growing weary of the whole muddled situation." me too. Sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:24 pm
I've been weary of it since before it began.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 12:49 am
I just happened to be watching CNN when this happened. I must admit, I'm a little appalled at this. Not that he died, but that they made such a big deal about it.

Not that his death is trivial, but the fact that so many others have perished, doing as he did, and they get little if any national recognition for it. I grieve for him has I would any other soldier lost in the war. The fact he used to play professional football is moot.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:27 am
Few in my generation really joined the service out of some sort of patriotic imperative. There was education in the service, GI benefits after discharge. For some of us, it was the only job out there. Heck, for some of us, it was the service or jail. For us, it really was a career move. Not so, for Tillman.

I'm not at all sure what my point is, or if I even have one, but no, he was not the average recruit.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
"Few in my generation really joined the service out of some sort of patriotic imperative. There was education in the service, GI benefits after discharge. For some of us, it was the only job out there"
Some things haven't changed, Roger.
0 Replies