Best Winter Olympic sport for me?

johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:26 pm
@roger,
Because its a cool sport. Different,but pretty cool.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Soccer is not boring. Don't dis soccer on this thread.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:29 pm
@roger,
Haha. Yeah that was pretty funny. I bet the only ones who knew what that was was me and you. And maybe some other odd fellow.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:31 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Almost any sport can be exciting if you are emotionally invested in the outcome. I discovered that when watching the Australian soccer team vying to gain World Cup entry. Without the emotional investment, some other aspect must draw you to it, or it becomes synchronised swimming!

This post is on the wrong thread. Don't know how that happened.
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:32 pm
@Wilso,
Oh. So size holds me back from this? OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Anyways, if I can't do speed skating and short track will be very difficult, what else is there for me? Snowball fights?
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:34 pm
@Wilso,
Doesn't matter. Still a good post. Very interesting indeed. Are you a bloke from "the land down under"?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:41 pm
You're too small for skeleton, luge or bobsleigh.
And you do need to be the sort of extreme adrenaline-loving type to compete on them.

If you're good in endurance, your sport is nordic skiing. If you're thin and flexible, your sport is ski jumping.
But for ALL winter sports you need a lot of money for practicing, and for travel in order to qualify.

Even if you represent a tropical country, you need to qualify. And this means going all over the world. Who's going to pay for it? Either you're rich (like Mexican skiier Prince Hubertus von Hohenlohe) or you get an sponsor, like the Jamaican bobsled (a local beer pays the tab), or you're very very good and the country's sporting institutions will finance you.

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:45 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
johnnybigbro22 wrote:

Oh. So size holds me back from this? OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Anyways, if I can't do speed skating and short track will be very difficult, what else is there for me? Snowball fights?

Like most Australian kids, I've played lots of different sports. I wasn't much good at most of them, sometimes just due to lack of talent, others because nature just didn't give me the physical attributes. You're complaining to me? Complain to your parents. But you asked about the best Winter Olympic sport for you. Well guess what, you don't possess the natural physical attributes for just about any that rely on strength and endurance. Snowboard events would be ok, but get ready to compete against people who have been doing it since the age of three, have year round access to the facilities, whether it be a half pipe, slope style course, or cross run, and then you have to get on the international circuit and get competition experience and ranking. Same goes for the skiing events of the same names. Your choices are limited. Curling, short track speed skating - or building snow men.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:47 pm
The Nordic combined!

Ski jumping AND 10 Km. nordic skiing.

The gold medal winner has your same height and weight:
http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/athletes/_/id/25574/eric-frenzel
Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:57 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

The Nordic combined!

Pretty hard to train for in the Caribbean.
Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:02 pm
Curling is like chess. Sure the greatest in the game may have beer guts, but trust me... Most of you couldn't even walk on the ice without sustaining a concussion. Curling isn't boring if you understand the game.it ain't an easy game but saying that I got my ass handed to me two weeks ago by a foursome of 80 year olds. Also, aside from looking like a game elder floridians would play... Have you seen the pecs on the I Canuck team? It's a very civilized game. That may be above the understanding of most of my neighbours to the south...
As for speed skating, unless you have thighs that are bigger(more muscled) than your ass... Good luck.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:03 pm
@Wilso,
He has to go to Switzerland or Norway, become reasonable good at the sport
and THEN move to the Caribbean and apply for Barbados citizenship.
Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:14 pm
@fbaezer,
Actually, it's probably better to get your citizenship first. Unless your from a country that does not have a teams you won't qualify against your country mates.

By the by, the Mexican skier has the best outfit ever.!!!!!
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:36 pm
@Ceili,
U crack me up.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:02 pm
@fbaezer,
Talk about adrenaline. Oh you should see me. So you think I should try nordic skiing. Is nordic skiing like cross-country skiing? I have GREAT endurance. I am thin and flexible so I may be good at ski jumping. But the thing that would scare me the most is the landing. I am scared that my legs would snap and I would crack or break.
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:04 pm
@fbaezer,
Hey! Someone I can pick on that's my own size. Just joking. But that's pretty cool. It would be neat if he could teach me how to race properly, you know, how to control by heart and breathing rate. Since we are the same size.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:05 pm
@Ceili,
Iceland? Maybe?
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:06 pm
@fbaezer,
Are you from Mexico? Maybe Mexico City?
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:09 pm
@Wilso,
I am not complaining to you. I don't know where you got that from. If I said something I am sorry. I would've just been picking. I actually have great endurance. And I am pretty good at building snow men. Maybe I could get those people from Maine that built that huge snowmen to help me. We could become a team. Building snowmen-newest event at the Winter Olympics-team event.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:09 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
The Nordic combined!

That's the best recommendation yet I think.

Still would be best to ask an actual coach. There might be something really obvious that we're all missing. But the Nordic Combined sounds to me like a good recommendation.