Best Winter Olympic sport for me?

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:52 pm
I am 16, 5 ft. 9 in., 130lbs. I am a US citizen so I would probably have to move to Marshall Islands, American Samoa, Virgin Islands, or Barbados because they were provinces. I have skated before but not on ice. I have never skied or snowboarded before. I love sledding and do it every chance I get when we have snow. But I know luge, skeleton, and bobsledding are much different and much harder. But I would really enjoy doing that. Thanks for any comments or responses!

Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:19 am
Do you want to be an Olympian, or just want to try the sports?
johnnybigbro22

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:29 pm
@Wilso,
I want to be an olympian.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:36 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
You do realize that, even in small countries, Olympians need to have more than a passing familiarity with a sport - and you don't even have that. You can try any of these sports in the good ole US, probably a lot more cheaply than immigrating.
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:44 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
I would suggest curling. Its the only one of the winter Olympic sports where a hangover could be considered a "sport related injury"
Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:08 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
Well, you're about ten years too late to begin proper training, but if you have the God-given talent (and because you were blessed to be an American), it could happen. First, determine the best of your natural skills - endurance; balance; speed; adaptability; geo-physics; sharpshooter; totally fearless; powerful; (69"/130# Rolling Eyes ).
Are you willing to change gender?
Can you live independently for the next four years?
Can you afford world class coaches, and trainers?
Could you constantly tour the world to compete?
Would you get broad support from friends and family, and other enablers?
When you get your act together with all that, we'll discuss managers; agents; wardrobe and make-up; travel agent; bookkeeper; and lackey.

There you go - curling. How well can you sweep?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:28 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
Skeleton sounds abut right. Some of the same skill in warping a skeleton to steer come from old time railed sleds. Difference is a sled may dump you, but a skeleton may kill you.
Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 04:53 pm
Yep....curling.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 06:06 pm
@jespah,
Yeah. I figured. My best bet to make it would be skating or sledding. Maybe even curling Wink
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 06:12 pm
@farmerman,
Ok.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 06:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Haha. Sounds like fun. I'd be willing.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 06:30 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Best skills-endurance, speed, balance, and totally fearless lol. My power/stength is ok. I don't know what geo-physics is. Why would I change gender? I am a manly man. I want to stay a manly man. Yes I can live by myself for 4+ years, probably couldn't afford the best coaches, and I would hope to tour the world. I would be willing to at least. I would get a lot of support. And yes, I could keep my act together. Curling does sound fun- I am an awesome sweeper, stand on ice, and yell at inanimate objects. I would be an awesome curler!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 06:31 pm
Now you've just got to somehow get enough years of practice, that the selectors for the most powerful winter sport nation on earth, are prepared to give you a shot - against all the thousands of others who have already been practicing for years.
johnnybigbro22

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 08:37 pm
@Wilso,
Aight. I will try curling, skating, or one of the sledding competitions. This has narrowed my options down.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 05:40 am
@johnnybigbro22,
Now get out there and start practicing curling. Id start with sliding cinder blocks on a gym floor.

PS-Today the US mens curling team takes on the UK.
Pandemonium shall reign . Our "enforcer" wil cripple their skip with some new moves
mysteryman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 09:27 am
@johnnybigbro22,
You haven't explained why you would have to move to "Marshall Islands, American Samoa, Virgin Islands, or Barbados".

BTW, Barbados is a country, not a province.
johnnybigbro22

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:39 pm
@farmerman,
Would cinder blocks even go far on a gym floor?
johnnybigbro22

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:43 pm
@mysteryman,
I wasn't sure if barbados was a country or province. Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that to have the best chance at going to the olympics and not give up my USA citizenship that I would have to move to a province. Or maybe I could move to one of the caribbean islands or oceanic islands would be the easiest countries to move to. Hope that help. Smile
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:59 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
I don't knw, never tried. Maybe if you used something that would slide better. I said cinder blocks so youd get in some weight training for upper body strength if your gonna be a sweeper.

Remember, when you start drinking beer, it doesn't matter much cause everybody's yelling at the stone and its pretty much like barroom shuffleboard.

Make me proud of you kid. I wanna tell people how I ws there when JohnyBig Bro was just staring his curling career.

Hell, you may even get drafted into the big leagues.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:01 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
Barbbados was a very happy race horse from Pennsylvania. He ran his ass off and won many races till something bad happened. I think he threw his pitching arm out.