Best Winter Olympic sport for me?

anonymously99

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 01:34 am
@roger,
Quote:
Best Winter Olympic sport for me?

Hockey. But. I like to go bowling as well. Indoor swimming is too wet in winter time. Basketball. I would love to re learn.
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:45 am
@roger,
Dude stop trying to sound smart. I know what the iambic pentameter is. It has to do with the feet in literature. But nice try lol.
0 Replies

johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:52 am
@anonymously99,
I was honestly was thinking about that but there are no hockey clubs near where I live. The closest one is over 7 hours away. And I. Love to play basketball but there is no way I could make it to the olympics for that. I can skate pretty good though. So my 2 sports I'm working on is curling and speed skating.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 01:19 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
were gonna need help in curling. The US got eliminated from all medal contention.

I heard that , in orer to make the US "big leagues" of curling, ya need to move to Wisconsin or Minnesota.
I think Id change my mind about curling and maybe go with speed skating.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 01:30 pm
@farmerman,
I'm going to buy me a pair of those curling shoes. I'll never fall on the ice again!
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 02:19 pm
@Lordyaswas,
but youll never be able to stand still, you will just keep sliding past your beer glass.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 03:02 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
johnnybigbro22 wrote:
skating,

Perhaps Speed Skating, but I don't know if someone could ever become good enough to Figure Skate at the senior level after starting this late.

What about Cross Country Skiing or Biathlon? That is primarily a matter of developing massive endurance (and with Biathlon, being able to be very steady while you are undergoing a test of that massive endurance).

You might get the best answer asking someone who coaches Olympians. Coaches would have actual experience in steering people down the right path to the sport that they are best suited for.

One thing I can say is, it might be difficult for you to start this late, but if after starting this late you do make it to the Olympics, your experience of overcoming the adversity of your late start will serve you well.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 03:07 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

but youll never be able to stand still, you will just keep sliding past your beer glass.

And my mates might look at me and start shouting "HARD.....HARD!"
anonymously99

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 03:13 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
And my mates might look at me and start shouting "HARD.....HARD!"

I'm not sure I can make sense of this.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 03:15 pm
@anonymously99,
Have you ever watched Curling?
roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 03:35 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Why would anybody watch curling?
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 03:53 pm
@roger,
Seriously?
roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:27 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Seriously what? You want to make a sport out of growing grass?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 06:08 pm
At 5'9" and 130lb, your chances of ever being a long course speed skater are less than zero. Have you seen those guys? They're all over 6' and 200lb. That leaves short track speed skating, provided you've got access to a rink, the money to buy the skates, which are highly specific to the sport, and get ready for countless hours of training, then you've got to take part in competitions, and then get good and successful enough to noticed by someone. Remembering of course that you're in a nation with a very powerful winter games team, probably college programs to recognise talent - you've got your work cut out for you.
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:09 pm
@farmerman,
Ok. You got me so worked up about curling. So do beer companies sponsor speed skating?
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:10 pm
@Lordyaswas,
You curl? can you give me some tips on how to get started?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:18 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Why would anybody watch curling?

That is one of life's biggest questions. I don't even think philosophers can answer that because ... really... curling is even more boring then soccer. I know! That's hard to imagine but it's true! Shocked
roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:20 pm
@johnnybigbro22,
The primary sponsor of the US Speedskating association is Under Armor, and yeah, you caught me fair and square in that iambic pentameter thing.
Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:22 pm
Almost any sport can be exciting if you are emotionally invested in the outcome. I discovered that when watching the Australian soccer team vying to gain World Cup entry. Without the emotional investment, some other aspect must draw you to it, or it becomes synchronised swimming!
johnnybigbro22

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:24 pm
@oralloy,
Oh yeah, i know i couldn't figure skate. I knew it would have to be speed skating/short track. I was thinking about skiing too. I am GREAT at endurance but i would rather do faster events like the downhill. And the biathlon seems cool, too.
0 Replies