Multiple adjective before a noun and verb/noun confusion.

Ian14

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:06 am
"Some extremely beautiful old paintings are terribly faded."

1. Are "Some extremely beautiful old..." all to be considered adjectives that modify "paintings"?

2. Is "terribly faded" adverb/verb or adjective/noun?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 983 • Replies: 13
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 10:32 am
@Ian14,
1. yes

2. neither, I think.
0 Replies

RayRaySparxx

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:28 am
@Ian14,
I would say....

1. yes

2. terribly - adverb, faded - adjective
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 02:11 pm
@Ian14,

1. Are "Some extremely beautiful old..." all to be considered adjectives that modify "paintings"?

---------------

No, Ian. some, beautiful and old are adjectives.

"extremely paintings" - as you can see 'extremely' doesn't modify paintings. What do you think it is and what is it modifying?

As RayRay said. After various forms of the verb 'be', words describe the state of something. In your case faded tells the state and terribly tells how much/advanced is the state.
McTag

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 03:47 pm
@JTT,

Good answer, JTT. That was well-considered, as mine was not.
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:56 pm
@McTag,
Thank you, McTag.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 11:07 am
@Ian14,
Some - adjective
extremely beautiful - adjective phrase
old - adjective
terribly faded - adjective phrase
paintings - noun
are - verb

We find here that all adjectives and their phrases directly describe the noun 'paintings'. Although faded can be seen as a verbal, it is not in this instance. Were 'old' be written 'aged', the same would apply.
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 11:25 am
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack: We find here that all adjectives and their phrases directly describe the noun 'paintings'.

Don't you mean, Jack,

We find here that all adjectives directly describe the noun 'paintings'. The adverb 'extremely' indirectly modifies the noun paintings by modifying the adjective beautiful.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:44 pm
@JTT,
I would concur with you if the sentence read, "The paintings are terribly faded."
But here, "Some" are terribly faded, not all 'the paintings'.
"extremely" directly modifies "beautiful", the 'paintings' are not 'extremely', nor acts 'extremely'.
As far as 'areas of grey' that usually occur where cross definitions exist, I'll concede this may be the lightest shade of grey.
contrex

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:54 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:

But here, "Some" are terribly faded, not all 'the paintings'.
"extremely" directly modifies "beautiful", the 'paintings' are not 'extremely', nor acts 'extremely'.
As far as 'areas of grey' that usually occur where cross definitions exist, I'll concede this may be the lightest shade of grey.

No "grey". You have written nonsense. The paintings are extremely beautiful.

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:36 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

No, only 'some' are extremely beautiful- read the original sentence again. It indicates that some paintings are not extremely beautiful.
contrex

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:40 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:

No, only 'some' are extremely beautiful- read the original sentence again. It indicates that some paintings are not extremely beautiful.

It is you that should read it again. If it could be said to "indicate" anything, in the way that you imagine, it would be that some extremely beautiful old paintings are not terribly faded. However it is common sense that not all paintings are beautiful, old, or faded.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 09:11 pm
@Jack of Hearts,

----•------------•

Jack: extremely" directly modifies "beautiful", the 'paintings' are not 'extremely', nor acts 'extremely'.
-----------

Yes, that's what I was going to say, Jack - extremely is an adverb modifying the adjective beautiful - but I thought I'd let Ian14 have a go first.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 03:28 am
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:

contrex wrote:

You misunderstand the use of 'some'. That word indicates that a selection is to be made from a set or collection of things.

Some (set or collection) (remainder of sentence)

Some cats are black. (Out of all cats, there is a sub group which are black)

Some pretty cats are black (Out of all pretty cats, there is a sub group which are black)

Some extremely pretty cats are black (Out of all extremely pretty cats, there is a sub group which are black)

Some extremely pretty male cats are black (Out of all extremely pretty male cats, there is a sub group which are black)

0 Replies