What do you think re Doonesbury's BD losing a leg in Iraq?

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:01 am
Gary Tradeau has caused Doonesbury character, BD, to lose a leg fighting in Iraq.

What do you think of this unusual new development to a beloved character in a comic strip?

http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/db/

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,231 • Replies: 20
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:05 am
I stopped reading "Doonesbury" when it stopped being funny. I think that was around 1979 or so.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:40 am
I'm an avid Doonesbury reader. I thought it was a good story development. I'm anxious to see where this goes.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:56 am
I have read the Doonesbury strip wherever and whenever.

The Tulsa World used to run it off it's the funny pages, in the back with the want ads, saying it's format was 'too large' for it's comics page, but the editors were really opposed to it's political bent. When readers, including me, asked 'Well, if you think it's a political cartoon, why don't you put it on your editorial pages?'' there followed a long silence that continues to this day. (Eva: is it still in the back?)

I was crushed when, upon arriving in NYC, I found that the NYTimes doesn't run ANY cartoons(!) so I would have to purchase a New York Daily News Twisted Evil to see my beloved bunch in action. Thank goodness for the internet and the Doonesbury website.

==
BD's war wounding and near death are the stuff of today's headlines and I would have been surprised if Gary hadn't done something on it. Makes me proud to be a fan. Makes me proud to be an American.

Doonesbury continues to be a sharply drawn commentary on this thing we call the USA with our pomposity, our drug-addledness, our social conventions and inventions all on display and yes, it's funny too, sometimes riotiously so, but after the laughter, there is always something to think on as well.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm
Pssst....it's back on the comics page, Joe. Once they started running "Mallard Fillmore" (a typical rightwinger diatribe strip) they put it back. They run the two strips right next to each other. It just makes Trudeau look that much more intelligent. hehhehheh....
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:30 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
I stopped reading "Doonesbury" when it stopped being funny. I think that was around 1979 or so.

I have to agree with this. I stuck with it for longer, but mostly because I was used to reading it. When he started representing George HW Bush as a feather, that's about the time I gave up on it.

And Mallard Fillmore isn't consistently funny to me either.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:39 pm
Well, at the exact same time (and I mean exact), the main character on Get Fuzzy learned his cousin had lost a leg in Iraq. Kinda took the impact away, such as there was, seeing as 2 comics had come up with virtually the same thing.

Kinda makes ya wonder if they all dig from the same vat of creativity.

PS Mallard Fillmore is a completely, 100% right wing diatribe and not funny even if you are a right winger, I suspect.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:15 pm
As much as it pains me to admit it, I am in agreement with Tarantulas. On the few occasions that I've read "Mallard Fillmore," I found it to be painfully un-funny.

Now "Tom Tomorrow" -- that's the funny!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:28 pm
JoefromChicago
Joe, that Tom Tomorrow is funny!

BBB
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:17 pm
Oh Wow. I only get to read it on Sunday, and I wondered where it was headed last Sunday, as it was a bit weird. Trudeau is keeping it real, I guess.
He probably realizes that many of us have come to "know" his characters, and that this might be a way for people to really get "a feel" for what's going on in Iraq.
Mallard Fillmore is just nasty, and as obnoxious as President Fillmore was.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:55 pm
Today's boston Globe wouldn't run the strip - said it had language unsuitable to general readership. Can find the strip online, but I haven't yet..... I heard a wonderful commentary on npr about this segment of Doonesbury.

I think it's a very bold statement by Trudeau http://www.uclick.com/client/bos/db/

Just read it, he said s.o.b. Interesting......
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:07 pm
Some newspapers pull, edit Doonesbury for language in strip about wounded soldier
By Elizabeth Mckinley, Associated Press, 4/23/2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) A few newspapers around the country edited Friday's ''Doonesbury'' comic strip to remove an expletive used by a character injured while fighting in Iraq, and at least two newspapers pulled the strip altogether.

In a story line that began Monday, B.D., a football coach-turned-soldier, lost a leg after being reactivated in the Army at the end of 2002.

In Friday's strip, his doctor explains how amputees go through a grieving process that starts with denial, followed by anger.

In the final panel, B.D. curses from behind a hospital curtain, skipping the denial.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning comic strip written by Garry Trudeau appears in 1,400 newspapers nationwide. The Anchorage Daily News declined to run the strip, instead publishing a note saying the comic ''contained an unnecessary profanity.''

The (Nashville) Tennessean also declined to run the comic. Editor Frank Sutherland said in a column that it uses language ''we consider inappropriate for newspaper use.''

The Green Bay News-Chronicle in Wisconsin edited out the mild expletive.

''I'd have a hard time printing that phrase as a direct quote in a news story, let alone as part of a piece of fiction on the comics page in big, bold letters,'' editor Tom Brooker wrote in a story published Friday.

The phrase was, ''Son of a bitch!''

The Beacon Journal in Akron, Ohio, also removed the expletive.

''Context is everything,'' managing editor Mike Burbach said in an article explaining his decision. ''In the Beacon Journal, 'Doonesbury' runs on the comics page. In that context, we decided it was best to bleep out the bad word.''

The Duluth (Minn.) News Tribune ran the strip on its editorial page instead of the comics section, and said the move would be permanent.

The strip's distributor, Kansas City-based Universal Press Syndicate, said newspapers weren't contractually allowed to edit the strip, and the syndicate said it planned to contact those that did.

''I don't know what will happen,'' said Kathie Kerr, a spokesman for Universal Press.

''It may just be a heads up just to refresh their memory about the protocol.''

Kerr said 11 newspapers had called Universal to talk about the strip. She said she knew of two papers that were not going to print Friday's installment but declined to name them. Newspapers are not required to inform the syndicate when they pull a comic strip.

Trudeau said he started the story line to illustrate the sacrifices American soldiers are making.

''We are at war, and we can't lose sight of the hardships war inflicts on individual lives,'' said Trudeau, who began writing ''Doonesbury'' in 1968 while a student at Yale University.

The strip has a history of addressing controversial topics.

Just before the 2000 presidential election, at least two newspapers pulled an installment that accused George W. Bush of cocaine abuse. In February 1998, at least four newspapers refused to run strips about accusations that President Clinton had sex with a White House intern.
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/114/nation/Some_newspapers_pull_edit_Doon:.shtml
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
Get Fuzzy, a Boston-based strip in the Globe, is also addressing the issue of a soldier's loss of a limb.

I dunno how I feel about this censor. He said 'son of a bitch', that's not so vulgar and is prolly much nicer than what a soldier might have said in real life.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
I like how the Globe left the space empty, though.
I will choose to interpret that as a hidden message of solidarity!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:23 pm
The Tulsa newspaper substituted the word "EXPLETIVE" in all caps for the profanity in the Doonesbury strip today. They did the same thing in the Mallard Fillmore strip. I have no idea what that one was supposed to be, but then, I couldn't care less. Just glad to see they didn't pull them.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 05:12 am
One thing I've always adored about Doonesbury is that his characters age and die, unlike the characters of every other comic strip I know. I think this adds a much appreciated humane dimension to the story lines. Characters that could have been my parents 15 years ago still could be my parents, characters that could have been my nephews or nieces 15 years ago could still be my nephews and nieces, and so on. I really like this.

More to the point, I also like that when Gary Trudeau puts his Doonesbury characters in harm's way, they don't always magically survive, but they do get injured, die, or get their life changed permanently. Just as if they were real life people.

On a slight tangent, here's how Trudeau himself explains the recent development:

Quote:

Q: I'm shocked by the current storyline. B.D. losing a leg? What was Trudeau thinking?!?
-- Lela A., Portland, OR

A: This is what GBT told ABC News on 'This Week with George Stephanopoulos' last Sunday:

The strips are about sacrifice, about the kind of shattering loss that completely changes lives. In B.D., I've placed a central character in harm's way, and his charmed life takes a dramatic turn on a road outside Fallujah. In the opening panels, he's in shock, hallucinating, with voices cutting in and out. Medics call this time the golden hour, that small window of opportunity when lives are most easily saved. B.D. is medevaced out, and in the third strip, the point of view is reversed, revealing just how grievous his wound really is. We also see his hair, its presence almost as startling as the absence of his leg.

What I meant to convey is that B.D.'s life has been irrevocably changed, that another chapter has begun. He is now on an arduous journey of recovery and rehabilitation. What I'm hoping to describe are the coping strategies that get people through this. There is no culture of complaint among the wounded -- most feel grateful to be alive and respectful of those who have endured even worse fates. But for many, a kind of black humor is indispensable in fending off bitterness or despair, so that's what will animate the strips that follow.

I have to approach this with humility and care. I'm sure I won't always get it right, and I'm also sure people will let me know when I don't. But it seems worth doing. This month alone, we've sustained nearly 600 wounded-in-action. Whether you think we belong in Iraq or not, we can't tune it out; we have to remain mindful of the terrible losses that individual soldiers are suffering in our name.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

-- T.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 05:22 am
Joe --

Are you seriously saying that

this

is not funny? You may also find some of the answers interesting
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:57 am
That's great, Thomas!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:27 am
I initially thought they were killing BD off, and it would ahev been like the death of a friend. Ther was a commentary on "All Things Considered," about this very thing, I will see if I can find a link.
I was surprised to see a reference in "Get Fuzzy (my favourite strip, along with "Opus" and "Rudy Park"). Hopefully this means the media's self-imposed silence is crumbling.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
Thomas
I've always been madly in love with Gary Tradeau.

BBB
0 Replies