Should Kamikaze letters get UNESCO world heritage status?

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:34 am
@farmerman,
Alas, there are proper old fashioned politicians who were just incompetent liars, and then there's Blair, who is an incompetent, money obsessed, sycophantic, spin doctoring, smarmy liar.

We had a million on the streets In The UK against going to Iraq, but as we now know, the deal had been struck with GW even before Parliament had discussed it.

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:36 am
@Lordyaswas,
and our liars even made up bogus evidence to present on tv
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:41 am
@farmerman,
We had liars making up bogus evidence too, who in turn were praised by your liars for their bravery.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
Bet they were lying, though.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:19 am
The kamikaze pilots were often little more than boys who happened to be born in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught up in the juggernaut of war, like boys from all other countries..
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos%20Two/jap-pup.jpg

kamikaze coming in through flak curtain-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub1/kamikA.jpg

Kamikaze shot down
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub1/Kwajalein43.jpg

More Jap WW2 air photos- http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=14431
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:21 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
See the romanticising has started then.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:28 am
Well, based on the rationale about making these letters have world heritage status, whatever that connotes, then Mein Kampf should be right alongside the letters. I am saying this sarcastically.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:49 am
@Foofie,
I was going to say earlier that the word 'Heritage' conjours up something grand that one should be proud of, in my mind.

It definitely grates. Sorry.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 02:42 am
Interesting article on the BBC web about Sino/Japanese relations, and about how the can't move on from WW2.

Quote:
I have long felt that I was not taught enough at school, so last year I wrote an article about the shortcomings of Japan's history education. It pointed out that the syllabus skims through more than a million years of Japan's relations with the rest of the world in just one year of lessons. As a result, many Japanese people have a poor understanding of the geopolitical tensions with our neighbours.

My article made many people in my home country, including some of my own family, uncomfortable.

It was not a foreigner criticising Japan, it was a Japanese reporter openly criticising Japan in front of global audience.

"Traitor" and "foreign spy" are just two of the many names I was called. "Don't you love your own country?" one person asked on Twitter. Of course I do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25411700
Foofie

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 10:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Interesting article on the BBC web about Sino/Japanese relations, and about how the can't move on from WW2.

Quote:
I have long felt that I was not taught enough at school, so last year I wrote an article about the shortcomings of Japan's history education. It pointed out that the syllabus skims through more than a million years of Japan's relations with the rest of the world in just one year of lessons. As a result, many Japanese people have a poor understanding of the geopolitical tensions with our neighbours.

My article made many people in my home country, including some of my own family, uncomfortable.

It was not a foreigner criticising Japan, it was a Japanese reporter openly criticising Japan in front of global audience.

"Traitor" and "foreign spy" are just two of the many names I was called. "Don't you love your own country?" one person asked on Twitter. Of course I do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25411700

The first rule of journalism is don't air dirty linen. So, if he got a negative reaction, should he have gotten a positive reaction? How ye sow, so shall ye reap. Who said that?

In other words, if one doesn't sing to the choir, don't expect all accolades.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 10:34 am
@Foofie,
It's clear you've not read the article or you wouldn't have made such a basic error with your use of pronouns. The article did make a valid point about denial of war time atrocities by Japan. If you'd read it you might have learned something.
Foofie

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 10:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's clear you've not read the article or you wouldn't have made such a basic error with your use of pronouns. The article did make a valid point about denial of war time atrocities by Japan. If you'd read it you might have learned something.

I don't take reading assignments from overseas professors.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:02 am
One thing you notice about the kamikazes...

In order for the tactic to be effective, they needed mass kamikaze raids and those had to be staged and that took time. The tactic was mainly effective against carriers and other ships which were being held on station to protect an island invasion, worst case being Okinawa. When the fast carriers were being used as they were intended to be used, they were largely invulnerable to kamikaze raids, i.e. by the time you could stage one, they'd done their damage and were gone.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:20 am
The Japanese also used these Ohka (Cherry Blossom) suicide rockets

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos%20Three/Captured-Ohka-Okinawa.jpg

THUNDER GODS
Ohka suicide rocket pilots of the Imperial Japanese Navy's Jinrai Butai ("Thunder Gods" Corps) of the 721st Kokutai ("Air Wing")

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos/ohka-pilots.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy: I agree, context is everything, Japanese aggression should not seem to be glorified.

----------------

Why not, Iz, USA aggression always is.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:07 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordy: I also wonder how many of their POW's had the opportunity to write a poignant letter, before they were beaten/tortured to death or beheaded.
-----------
Do you also wonder, Lordy, about the Japanese POWs who had the same things done to them and their skulls sent home to American girlfriends as ashtrays?

Lordy: time is a healer, sure, but there should be a sensible balance struck here.
----------

Sensible balance like giving the Rape of the Philippines and the Rape of Korea the same degree of exposure?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:11 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy: The rape of Nanjing still looms large, and it's important that we never forget what happened there.
-------
That's propaganda, izzy. The Rape of the Philippines and the Rape of Korea were every bit as bad as what went on in Nanking but those and many other atrocities are hidden and forgotten.

You are one of the apologists who facilitate this.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:18 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie foofs: I also do not believe that the Japanese culture has rid itself completely of the superiority complex that led to the atrocities in Manchuria.

-------

Incredible hypocrisy from a piece of amoral scum that makes a dedicated effort to describe just what a piece of amoral scum he is.

There isn't any nation on the planet that brags like the USA does. There also isn't any nation on the planet that is as self absorbed, as conceited as the USA.

And it is all based on one gigantic lie after another.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you see that kind of honesty from Brits, izzy?
0 Replies