Shirley Temple Black

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 05:56 am
I have liked a number of her films. Sorry she has left us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,900 • Replies: 5
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 07:32 am
It's hard to overestimate how big of a star Shirley Temple was at the height of her career. She was the top box office star for four straight years (1935-38), and was in the top ten in 1934 and 1939. Although 20th Century-Fox stars always seemed to earn more money than their meager talents deserved (see, e.g., Alice Faye, Sonja Henie), Temple was extremely good at what she did, and a real industry pro. As one story has it:

Quote:
[Adolphe] Menjou was having trouble on the set [of Little Miss Marker] one day with one of his lines. At the prompting of a few crew members, Shirley asked director Alexander Hall, "Is it too late to replace Mr. Menjou on this picture?"

She debuted in movies at the age of four, was an international star at the ripe old age of six, and largely washed up by the time she reached thirteen. Nevertheless, she showed her acting abilities hadn't diminished when she revived her career in the 1940s with movies like The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. She probably could have transitioned into more mature roles, but she couldn't shake her juvenile image and, I think, she just got tired of Hollywood, not unlike other child stars such as Deanna Durbin.
Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 07:34 am
@joefromchicago,
In the famous words of Lou Grant, "She had spunk. I hate spunk!"

Seriously, she had my admiration and respect both as a person and as a performer. Her public service record was commendable.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 05:01 pm
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1902905_10202130643080096_863449643_n.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 05:28 pm
She is/was the same age as my mom, born just a few months apart and spent most of their childhoods growing up quickly during the depression era.

They both reinvented themselves several times in their careers, both liked to sing and dance, and were very active in politics and public service.

When I was a kid, it was very popular for little girls to wear the ringlets and to take tap dancing lessons, just like Shirley did. I did not escape this, and have photos of me in my Shirley Temple ringlets, sailor shirt and hat, or tutu, doing tap dance at a recital.

I didn't agree with her politics, but Shirley was a long time hero and role model to me.
0 Replies

Ryanviola

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 06:51 am
@edgarblythe,
I cant express how big star SHERLEY...just amazed!!
0 Replies