Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:42 am
And once a horse.

And once a dog.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:50 am
Setanta wrote:
emclean wrote:
I would like to ask if any of you gun-control folk have defended your self with only your mouths?

Nice to see that you wish to keep the discussion civil--as it happens, i read the original passage: "gun-control freaks"--before you came back to edit that word. Try to play nice, Emclean, it's a subject of sufficient controversy as it is.

No getting away with nothing here!!! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:51 am
of course, I have some mouth....
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:55 am
Actually, twice a dog. Once it was only a small dog.
0 Replies

Piffka

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:19 am
You defended yourself with a horse? I'm intrigued.
0 Replies

roger

Boy, this one has moved along. Maybe I can find time to reply tonight or over the weekend.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

I have never defended myself against attack by using a gun. But while on duty with the Posse I have drawn my gun twice when entering a building behind a Deputy Sheriff. Just as a precaution, you see. Wink

It's estimated that "Civilians use firearms in lawful self-defense about 2.5 million times a year in the United States. In about 92 percent of these cases, a firearm is merely displayed, with no shot fired..."

Link
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:25 am
Piffka wrote:
You defended yourself with a horse? I'm intrigued.

Actually I defended a little kid from a molestor.

Horses can look mean.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:26 am
Dlowan - No I haven't been attacked, however I do go through "bad" neighborhoods on the way to work, and the city I live in is one of the more violent ones in the nation. Therefor I feel that by carrying a weapon (I don't have my permit yet so I don't carry it away from the house) I have more tools at my disposal to defend myself.

Beleive it or not, there are rules that I have to follow before I can pull a gun on some one that is trying to confront me. The first rule is Don't say anything to them other than "Go Away, Leave Me Alone" and then try to get away from the situation. Now if they confront me with a weapon first, I am likely to just go ahead and give up my wallet etc. But if they confront me with "Give Me Your Wallet" I am likely to put a hand on my gun and try to move away as quickly as possible. If they make a sudden move towards their pocket or a weapon, I am going to probably shoot first and ask later.

A gun is not the only answer to keeping your self alive and well. But it is usually the correct one if the situation gets out of hand.

And you bring up a valid point about an animal. There are many cases where people have been out walking and have been attacked by a dog. There are some dogs that regardless of what you try, they will not stop attacking you, especially if you have a dog your self. I like to know that while I am out on my evening walks with my wife and our new baby (she'll be here in July) if a dog threatens us, I will be able to "neutralize" the situation. Yes I would feel bad about killing a family pet, but I will feel better about the fact that my family is safe.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:28 am
The dogs helped me defend myself, as it happens.

Dogs have to be behind fences, or on leads, here.
0 Replies

emclean

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
Quote:
Nice to see that you wish to keep the discussion civil--as it happens, i read the original passage: "gun-control freaks"--before you came back to edit that word. Try to play nice, Emclean, it's a subject of sufficient controversy as it is.

WTF, i used the same words that were used by another.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
They are supposed to be here also but that doesn't always happen.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:16 am
The only time I've used a gun in self defense was against a raging, rabid squirrel. I'm afraid the poor little critter didn't survive the encounter.

Last night I was sitting in my living room watching the hockey game, with the front door standing wide open because it was hot in the house. Two guys walked by looking like they just got released from jail. Never had seen them before, hair all messed up, a few days of beard growth, quite large and unfriendly, staring into my house at me. I would have felt much more comfortable had I been packing heat. They didn't bother me, but somehow I felt like I got lucky. A gut feeling.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 30 Apr, 2004 03:18 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
Wow, remind me never to visit Brazil. I saw a documentary, I think it was about Brazil, and they showed a power pole that was accessible from a rooftop. It had hundreds of wires running off in all directions, hooked up by people so they could steal electrical power.

That sounds like Brazil. A significant portion of the population (I do not recall any stats off the top of my head but my personal estimate is about 30%) live in slums.

Now when I say slums it's not like US slums but more like a "shanty town". It's houses made of scrap wood, and such (I've even seen sticks and mud and they had to be rubuilt every time it rains).

These "favelas" (shanty towns) are densely populated and consist of people who are pretty much squatting en masse.

They steal electricity and while it places quite a burden on the system it's also something that is hard to crack down on given their pitiful existence (every time I returned to Brazil it was enough of a culture shock to leave me depressed for days) and the understanding that electricity is a fundamental need.

It's not like stealing cable, it's more like "stealing" the means to live for the next day.

There are few good answers to the "favelas" in Brazil. They have something similar to the "projects" in the US, one is ironically (cruely so in my opinion) called "Project Shangri la" where they try to relocate them into housing.

It get's pretty ugly. A level of misery that Americans usually can't really fathom well. Our poor have cable TV. The poor there have only the right to die. There's no social safety net worth speaking of so handicapped people have no choices either. Loose your legs and you new career may well be to beg for a living.

The minimum wage is less than 100 dollars a month.

And to put this in perspective, Brazil is pretty much the richest real* country in South America.

*Falkland Islands don't count.

But don't let that stop you from visiting. They are the most friendly and fun loving poeple in the world. It's a beautiful land, and a beautiful people. Leaving Brazil to go anywhere feels like moving to a land of androids.
0 Replies

wambli

Tue 4 May, 2004 03:29 am
politicians and the gun issue
roger wrote:

I'm a member of the NRA, and will continue to be.

This is my first post in this forum.
This topic is why I've just joined here.

Got a lot of reading ahead before joining in debate, but:

I'm also a member of the NRA, and politically active on a number of issues.

I no longer believe the rhetoric from either side of the gun debate.

eg: In 1992 & 1996- The NRA told us "Clinton will take our guns"

I not only bought more guns every year our man Slick was in office, but:

Many states passed Concealed Carry laws during the Clinton Administration.

Before Slick, I carried openly in Arizona, knew and obeyed the ARS.

Now I have Concealed Carry permits in several states and can drive from coast to coast "armed and law abiding".

I do know the DNC tried to gain NRA support for a national Concealed Carry law back in Clinton's first term.
I was one of the people pushing the effort.

The NRA leaders stated in writing that a national concealed carry law was a restriction on gun owners, because it would be another "list of gun owners".

IMHO they decided that 'keeping the gun issue for the GOP' was more important than extending to law abiding citizens the freedom to travel in all states "armed and law abiding".

I've known people who should not own or carry guns, yet had no police record.
A convicted felon (who could not legally own a gun) once tried to kill me.
(edit to add: I know for a fact he did not buy his .357 Colt revolver from a licensed gun dealer/criminals cannot be disarmed)
I've used a handgun to resist an armed robbery, and for me, there is no question about why citizens should be able to both own and carry guns.
Calling 911 and waiting for the police is NOT an option while the criminal has a gun in your face.
For me, had Arizona not allowed me to be armed during that night shift,
I would not be alive typing this.

It does not bother me to undergo a background check, be fingerprinted, etc. to get yet another Concealed Carry permit.

That's my introduction to this forum and to 2nd Amendment issues.

Comments on this or other issues will now have to wait until I've read the entire topics first.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 4 May, 2004 09:24 am
wambli,

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 4 May, 2004 09:33 am
My husband was just out of town for a few days. I always take a few extra precautions when that happens, just because. One of those nights I thought fleetingly, "It would be nice to have a gun for protection." Immediately following that thought, though, was "what about the kid?" I have a 3.5-year-old daughter who is endlessly curious, and the only way I would consider having a gun in the house is if it was in a few parts in locked receptacles. So, then it's basically useless if there's any element of surprise.

That seems to be a major disconnect -- either it's readily available and dangerous to intruders (and also to resident small children), or it's stowed in a complicated way that is less dangerous for small children (and also less dangerous to intruders.)
0 Replies

roger

Tue 4 May, 2004 09:34 am
Re: politicians and the gun issue
wambli wrote:

I no longer believe the rhetoric from either side of the gun debate.

You can say that again. On such an issue, I'm not at all sure there is unbiased or honest information available.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 4 May, 2004 09:37 am
sozobe,

You could get a small gun safe and put it in your closet.

They also have small safes that mount to your night stand.

Or, put it high enough that you 3.5 yr old can't reach. There should be no reason for your toddler to be rooting through your closet unsupervised.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 4 May, 2004 09:44 am
Hehehehe...

"There should be no reason for your toddler to be rooting through your closet unsupervised..."

Hehehehe...! Good one! :-)
0 Replies