In Jasper things don't change

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:53 am
http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Feds-take-over-Alfred-Wright-case-244482311.html

JASPER, Texas -- Alfred Wright was a husband, a father and a son.
“To know him was to love him,” said Lauren Wright, Alfred’s wife.
“You would have to know him to know his character and personality,” said Douglas Wright, Aflred’s father.
Neither of them had any way of anticipating the events that would one day thrust Wright, his family, and the small city of Jasper into the national spot light.
“I believe he was murdered and only God from Heaven could come down and tell me he wasn’t,” said Douglas.
The accounts of what took place last November have been well documented. Wright, a physical therapist, was on his way to treat a patient when his truck broke down near a convenience store just outside of Hemphill. That’s when he called his wife for help.
“He said he was having truck problems and that someone needed to come and get him,” said Lauren.
His parents agreed to pick him up. Several minutes later, Wright’s wife called him back on the phone.
“And that’s when I heard the heavy breathing, the respiratory distress of some kind," said Lauren. "It was very heavy breathing and I just could sense that something wasn’t right.”
When Wright’s parents showed up, they only saw his parked truck. But the 28-year-old was missing. The Sabine County Sheriff’s Office conducted a search. After four days, it was called off. The family questions how hard deputies looked. But those closest to Wright continued to comb through the nearby woods for the next two and a half weeks.
Wrights friends and family members located his body on a cold wet day. It was found lying face down in the woods about a mile and a half from the convenience store where his truck broke down.
An initial official autopsy ordered by the county attributed his death to lethal amounts of meth, cocaine and amphetamines found in his system. But the family sent the remains to Houston for a second autopsy which found the body was missing an ear, the tongue and had a throat that appeared to have been slashed. They insist Wright would never have abused drugs.
“I know my husband was killed by somebody,” said Lauren. “There’s no question in my mind.”
Family members remain skeptical of authorities in part because of what happened in Jasper in 1998, when three white men in a pickup truck dragged a black man to his death.
“We found the body,” said Douglas. “The sheriff has never asked us any questions. The Texas Rangers haven’t asked us any questions. We found the body.”
Wright’s wife also expressed skepticism.
“I think we all question the motives,” said Lauren. “Do they know something that we don’t know? Are they trying to cover it up for somebody? We don’t know.”
This week, the US Justice Department moved to take over the investigation. Calls to the Sabine County Sheriff and the Texas Ranger’s Office were not returned.
“None of us will stop until we find out who did it and why they did it and see that justice is served,” said Lauren.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,105 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:46 am
An initial official autopsy ordered by the county attributed his death to lethal amounts of meth, cocaine and amphetamines found in his system. But the family sent the remains to Houston for a second autopsy which found the body was missing an ear, the tongue and had a throat that appeared to have been slashed.
roger

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
If I hadn't seen the second post, I was going to quote the same thing with a minor comment on the initial autopsy which seems to have missed those minor details.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:29 pm
@roger,
I bet the people involved in the autopsy and investigation barely get a reprimand out of this.
roger

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
A wink. A nudge. A reprimand.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 02:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
That is the damnedest case of suicide I have ever seen.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 03:30 pm
Who the hell performed that initial autopsy? How can a professional [?] M.E. overlook a missing ear, a slashed tongue and a slit throat? It boggles the mind.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 03:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
According to news from last year and January, it has been a "Texas Rangers’ autopsy report".
Quote:
Bernsen Law Firm, the law firm representing the Wright family, issued a press release stating the Texas Rangers’ autopsy report failed to explain apparent signs of severe trauma found on Alfred’s body, revealed by the independent second autopsy. One of the firm’s many concerns include the actions of a local member of law enforcement who began communicating toxicological findings with the general public even though that same person told members of the Wright family that no toxicology report was in existence.
Source
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 04:00 pm
Thank you, Walter.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 05:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
According to news from last year and January, it has been a "Texas Rangers’ autopsy report".

According to news from last year and January, it [has been] WAS a "Texas Rangers’ autopsy report".

With so pointed a reference to past time - the two adverbials of time, we don't use the present perfect, Walter.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 05:13 pm
@JTT,
Evidently there are some who are sarcasm challenged.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 07:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
the family sent the remains to Houston for a second autopsy which found the body was missing an ear, the tongue and had a throat that appeared to have been slashed

"One a the worser cases a suicide we ever seen"

(from the report)
JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 09:47 am
@farmerman,
Very interesting.
0 Replies