Ready to ask the question

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 01:14 pm
I have recently moved to a new city and the girl I love is back home in a different state. I am coming back home to see her today and I want to ask her some thing very important. I want to ask her to marry me. Sure her and I have talked about it many of times before but now I am ready to take that BIG step. I am really scared to ask her is that normal? Also what are some romantic ways to ask? Are these thoughts that she may say no normal also. I have no idea I really need some help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 02:30 pm
Mikeymike, everything you are feeling is normal. Knowing when and how to propose are tough questions. The main thing is, let your sincerity shine through, and don't let it be overshadowed by grand gestures. Heck, I proposed when my now wife and I were sitting on the floor, all packed up to move the next day, not a romantic scene at all...but...I had the engagement ring custom-designed, and a sexy explanation of why I ordered the ring the way I did. Hey, it worked. Smile Good luck, my friend.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
Smile Good luck! Congratulations!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:24 pm
Sincerity combined with romance is a tough combination to turn down. Set the stage, bring the ring, get down on one knee, and speak from the heart. You can't go wrong.

AND THEN COME BACK HERE AND TELL US WHAT HAPPENED!!!
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:20 pm
Smile I can see how it would be a little scary!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:19 pm
Mike, my wife was pregnant with our first, we had agreed to get married, and it was pretty much a done deal, except for the ring. I was still pretty screwed up about it.

Relax, this is normal. You'll do fine.
0 Replies

Mikeymike

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
Well today is the day that I am going to ask her. I have every thing in order but how I am going to ask her. Lets hope things go good!
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:45 pm
You seem kind of young, and unsure of the status of your relationship. Are you sure you're ready for the big step?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:28 pm
I say, let's hope things go well.
0 Replies

Mikeymike

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 12:47 pm
Well I asked her. We went for a picknic right next to a creek that had a waterfall right in front of us she was sitting up on the tree that leaned over the creek. And I asked her............She just smiled and didnt say anything.........And then she said she is not ready to get married she feels that we are still to young for that........She also said that it doesnt mean no either.... Our relationship is still the same with no changes......What do you guys think she meant by that statement? Do you think it was a "No" in a nice way? She said that if she was to marry anyone I would be he.... Please help me out here!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 12:55 pm
well this surely was a bit of cold shower for you, but although I am sure plenty of people will tell you "yeah, this is polite way to say no, I don't love you", I am not sure that this is certain. First of all, we don't know how old you two are, and how long you are together. Also, it's quite important what kind of relationship this is - is she completely faithfull to you while you two are separated (and willing to be, this is even more important)?

Actually, I think that those questions you are asking us are the same questions you should ask her. But, as much as possible, not in a way "oh, I love you so much, please tell me do you love me and what does all that means", but in serious and "cold head" conversation.

However, since cultural differences are sometimes big and important, I must note that I am from Croatia and that people here are much relaxed and more direct when it comes to such issues. And I don't mean that in any bad way for USA, it's just difference, that's all.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:01 pm
Mikeymike, she might be the best thing you will ever know. She sounds level-headed and loving to me.

Is it possible to go back and work hard to show her that you are responsible and ready for marriage and, possibly, children? In a few years, you might thank her for making you wait a couple of years.

Is you love strong enough to wait?
0 Replies

Mikeymike

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:18 pm
Diane I totaly agree with you. Her and I did talked about children yesterday!!! SHE WANTS 4 or 5 !!!!!! But I believe that you are 100% correct she just told me that she joined the NAVY and thats the reason she said what she said.....She told me she didnt say yes NOT because I am not the one or not good enough.....And she also reminded me that she didnt say no either......It's a yes that is on a hold until we figure things out with me living in San Diego now and her still in Michigan and her leaving for the NAVY soon.... And my ownusername she told me that she loves me... And for the record I am 24 and she is 20
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:42 pm
Ah, she is still a bit young. Sounds like she loves you and just wants to take time to be certain this is what's best for both of you.
4 or 5 kids???? Yikes!
Well congratulations on your mature handling of the situation. Best of luck, and thanks for letting us know!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
4 or 5 kids? Congrats on finding a woman willing to have sex after marriage, Laughing Just kidding...give her some time, it sounds like things will work out in the end.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:16 pm
Scary? I think I drove back to my home town, Sacramento, from Oakland, to see if what I did was the right thing to do. Long-term committment of any kind is a big step, and nervousness is natural. Looking back, it's the smartest thing I ever did in my life. My gut feeling about this woman was right; she's smart, and we raised two intelligent, sensitive, sons.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:22 pm
Mikeymike...she sounds like a great girl with a good head on her shoulders and spunky as well...joining the Navy and all!

Give her some time. She has a lot going on right now and she is young. You seem to be very much in love with her and I'm sure she was deeply touched by your proposal of marriage. I've seen you and you ARE adorable...quite a catch yourself! Hang in there Mike, keep on loving each other like you've been doing and everything will be okay.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:30 pm
doglover knows Mikeymike? I need to hear more, or the match will be cursed. Man, sounds like a really good connection that just needs some aging, like a fine cheese.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:54 pm
Way to go, Mikeymike! She gave you a really good answer. 20 IS a bit young for marriage. And with her commitment to Navy service, she did the right thing. She let you know that she loves you and she's serious about you. All is good.
0 Replies