When do we cease to exist?

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:39 am
Quote:
Cyracuz said: So how could a god that allowed children to starve be a purely good god, I asked her.

That's easy, people starve because they have more babies than the land can support, it's their own fault for not using their God-given common sense..Smile
neologist

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:40 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Look up the page a bit, Romeo.
http://able2know.org/topic/233620-24#post-5732034
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, maybe she was just really excited because finally someone wanted to talk to her. Maybe she was thinking that finally she would get to convert someone, and the look on her face as she walked away was simply disappointment at not managing that after all... Smile
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:29 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Except that "common sense" isn't god-given. Rather it is something that comes about through social interaction, and thus is taught to us by the societies we live in.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:30 am
@Cyracuz,
Well, you gave it your best shot. Reversing people's idea of their god is not easily done; moving mountains is much easier.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
If the native men who lived in famine-prone countries kept their flies zipped up, there wouldn't be more babies than the land can support, it's not rocket science, and others agree..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Attenb-foodaid_zpsc26ff758.jpg~original
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:53 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
What you seem to lack is common sense about nature. Think about that - if that's at all possible.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is true.
But in all fairness, I can't be sure that my take is any more "true" than hers.
The only thing I can be sure of is that in relation to our modern language and our modern ideas, my take reflects better the mind of a modern human being.
Because at the end of the day that is all it is. Language and abstract concepts. "God" or "universe", "God's mysterious ways" and "sub atomic particle", merely reflects the fashions or trends of the various historical periods.

Imagine if we categorized ourselves according to what we wear. Those who prefer the modern style of clothes would be the equivalent of todays scientifically attuned minds, while those who favor retro styles would be the equivalent of those whos minds still function based on old ideas of the cosmos that have been reinvented in a modern language they can't really connect with.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:50 pm
@Cyracuz,
I understand where you're coming from, because even with all the scientific evidence that we are 'aware' of, there are still many mysteries of human limitations and how we perceive our reality. How we perceive different aspects of our lives isn't based in 'intelligence.' It's based on our personal, subjective, perception of reality.
neologist

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:57 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Cyracuz said: So how could a god that allowed children to starve be a purely good god, I asked her.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

That's easy, people starve because they have more babies than the land can support, it's their own fault for not using their God-given common sense..Smile
So, babies starve because folks are stupid. Well, that defines you even further, I would say.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:58 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
Well, maybe she was just really excited because finally someone wanted to talk to her. Maybe she was thinking that finally she would get to convert someone, and the look on her face as she walked away was simply disappointment at not managing that after all...
Or, maybe you're grading your own paper.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:03 pm
@neologist,
Sorry, neo, but I don't quite follow...
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, the way I see it, Christianity is mostly based on something that took place around 1700 years ago, when the Bible was compiled.

Today we have scientific theories that fly in the face of what the Bible claims to be true.

But what about in the future. Let's say 1700 years into the future. I think it's at least possible that our modern theories of science would be viewed by humans in the year 3714 as something similar to what outdated religious beliefs are seen as today. Especially if civilization falls and rises again a few times between now and then.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:23 pm
Quote:
Cyracuz said: Sorry, neo, but I don't quite follow...

Haha, of course you don't because according to him and his JW chums, all of us poor dumb shmucks have to join their cult before we can understand anything..Smile-

"If you try to study the Bible without our help, you go into darkness" (JW Watchtower magazine )
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:28 pm
Quote:
Cyracuz said: Today we have scientific theories that fly in the face of what the Bible claims to be true.

What scientific theories?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:31 pm
Quote:
Cicerone said to me: What you seem to lack is common sense about nature. Think about that - if that's at all possible.

Dry barren lands can only support a limited number of humans, so if they keep churning out babies they're just asking for trouble, it's not rocket science..Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:37 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
It's not about "dry barren lands." Humans have been producing babies in the harshest environments for hundreds of thousands of years. It's about human sexuality that's encoded into our DNA - as with most animal life. I get it you never studied about the "birds and the bees."
neologist

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:39 pm
@Cyracuz,
There are more than one reasons to end a conversation
neologist

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:41 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
Today we have scientific theories that fly in the face of what the Bible claims to be true.
That must be it, then
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's not about "dry barren lands." Humans have been producing babies in the harshest environments for hundreds of thousands of years. It's about human sexuality that's encoded into our DNA - as with most animal life. I get it you never studied about the "birds and the bees."

Ah, but humans are not animals, so every time a native gets the urge to unzip his flies he should resist the urge and think "I'd better not, there's barely enough food around as it is"
I used to keep mice in our garden shed and whenever the population got too much, I cut down on their food and they'd automatically stop breeding because they've got more sense than to bring extra mouths into the world if there's a food shortage..Smile