When do we cease to exist?

Krumple

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 08:03 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Our information formula is eternal. Why? Because when and if possible in a cyclic Universe it will eventually repeat. In that sense we nnever ceased to exist nor did we ever come into being. We ARE there!

Or possibly there is a dimension of mind that the human brain acts like a receiver for it. Similar to a radio that picks up radio waves. It seems local because we dont see radio waves. The mind seems local but it only appears that way because we are not aware of this dimension of mind.

This is all just a thought.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 06:59 am
@farmerman,
I didn't try to provide hard evidence but rather point out that IF the Universe is cyclic statistically randomness alone will give you a bigger than zero chance of the information pattern of any given object repeating. That includes, of course, human beings.
As for the argument on why a cyclic Universe model is more probable the key clue is founded on questioning the obscure concept of nothingness itself having any intellectual merit.
By the way, this argument has been brought forward by theoretical physicists themselves.
Hope that helps Farma...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 07:10 am
@Krumple,
If by "mind" you mean computation then rocks have a sort of mind when they heat up or cool down...
if you use the traditional idea of mind as a problem solver I don't think BEING needs to problem solve its own totality anywhere.
I think of Being as the Power Set of all possible combinations of information in X number of discrete space blocks. The power Set doesn't evolve or grows or thinks or solves anything. It exists whatever that means.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 07:55 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Or possibly there is a dimension of mind that the human brain acts like a receiver for it. Similar to a radio that picks up radio waves. It seems local because we dont see radio waves. The mind seems local but it only appears that way because we are not aware of this dimension of mind.

I have similar thoughts.
But you do realize how theistic that sounds, right?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 08:15 am
@Leadfoot,
I have notice often he doesn't. You and him confuse phenomena with noumena when you appeal to mind as fundamental ontology.
peacecrusader888

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:23 am
When do we cease to exist? In other words, when do we die?

Genesis 2:7 states: "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

So man is composed of the physical body ("dust of the ground", inanimate, without life) and spirit (God "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life").

The physical body does not die because it is "dust of the ground". It is inanimate, without life, lifeless. The spirit lives forever because it came from God. God does not die.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 02:30 am
We cease to exist when the last person who remembers you dies.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 04:02 am
@hightor,
A fair and well known dictum.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 04:20 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
I didn't try to provide hard evidence but rather point out that IF the Universe is cyclic
I know. I therefore dont spend much time in my responses because much of your stuff is "what if" based and is not focused into anything more reality based.

It is only worth something if it leads to further thoughts and hypotheses.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 04:32 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
the cyclic universe, the multiverse, the brane hypotheses have been compared to the static v expanding universe , and the expanding universe ( even with a "newer" Einstein Cosmo constant) has strong evidence to support it. Now, that still doesnt help with the multiverse or brane model.
Science is often a slow detailed pursuit of what becoms unknowable nly after we exhaustively test it.

I am interested in how our knowledge advances about how long planets in our solar system stay tectonically active and how that quickly swept away a "given time realm" idea for "Tectonically alive" planetary bodies. . I am in awe of how longsome of our cosmologists and planetary travel design engineers will spend 25 years on one space shot. They will come to work every day in the wait for the "critical fly by" moment from concept to final data dump cn be an entire professional life for most of these people.

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 05:46 am
@hightor,
Quote:
We cease to exist when the last person who remembers you dies.

I'd buy that as long as it included non-human entities.
But I doubt that's where you were going?
I suppose Elvis is as close to eternal life as it gets in your POV
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 06:01 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
You and him confuse phenomena with noumena when you appeal to mind as fundamental ontology.
That doesn't fit because I do not see your 'noumena' as unknowable.

And I sure as hell don't see mind as fundamental ontology. Evidential maybe
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 09:42 am
@Leadfoot,
To each its own frame...I see systems, patterns, correlations, not minds...
But ya think god is big deal while I think that if there is some sort of puppeteer in this circus, "It", is just another pattern in BEING...a minor, very minor god. If it needs thinking then it is not final nor fundamental...just another lost soul looking at problem-solving in a larger arena.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 09:52 am
@farmerman,
Back to expansion, I don't need to deny it or confirm it...same for multiverse. My pov assumes time as an illusory effect sort to speak (in the least not fundamental)...I don't care which model wins so long it is cyclic. My point comes way back from the concept of a previous assumed nothingness which must be conceptually analysed way better. How the frack you can have action with nothingness ? Nothingness is an absurd concept. We have loads of language problems long before we can't get at the right scientific approach.
Without proper language "technology" science will cost you much more as it will be more or less indecipherable when you can't translate data into meaning.
You stumble and have a higher probability of investing in dead ends.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 10:24 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
The "old man" was right when he said Science without Philosophy is blind...
Krumple

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

I have similar thoughts.

How is it theistic to suggest there might be a dimension of mind where the human brain is a receiver? Locality is just an illusion and you can potentially know all thoughts through this interconnected mind dimension.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:53 pm
@Krumple,
It sounds theistic to the bone. You just elevated mind beyond any single individual brain...
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 05:53 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Leadfoot:
I have similar thoughts.

Krumple:
How is it theistic to suggest there might be a dimension of mind where the human brain is a receiver?

Scripture time!
"The spirit will lead you into all truth"
"And you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 08:13 am
@Leadfoot,
"unless it doesn't of course"
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 08:14 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
.I don't care which model wins so long (sic) it is cyclic
and Henry Ford used to give us a car in any color we wanted, so long as it was black.
0 Replies