Me or I?

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 03:38 am
Hi all

My mother was berating my brother’s grammar because he wrote “Jule and I at the zoo” on the back of a load of photos. She says it should be “Jule and me”.

OK, so “Jule and I at the zoo” isn’t a full sentence as there is no verb, but there is a verb implied – ie “This is Jule and I at the zoo” – which is incorrect, even sounds wrong. “This is Jule and me at the zoo” is correct.

But yet if you say “Jule and me are going to ….. “ it’s wrong. Should be “Jule and I…”

But I think in both cases, “Jule and xx” is the subject of the sentence, which is where I get confused.

My rule of thumb is, pretend the other person isn’t involved, and write whatever you would say if it were only you: ie “I am going to… “ or “Me at the zoo”.

What I want to know is, why is "Jule and I at the zoo" incorrect?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 588 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 03:51 am
@sparklyfirefly,

sparklyfirefly wrote:

Jule and I is quite correct. You can't imply the verb.
sparklyfirefly

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 06:33 am
@roger,
Thanks for replying Roger.

But you wouldn't say "I at the zoo". Though I have to say "Me at the zoo" doesn't sound the best English either.

So if I at the zoo is wrong, why is Jule and I at the zoo correct?
Confused!
fresco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 07:18 am
@sparklyfirefly,
The question of conventional grammaticality is meaningless outside of a complete sentence, i.e. one containing a verb. The term "correctness" is sometimes applied to grammaticality by those who take grammar to be prescriptive. However "appropriateness" is a more contemporary term and that is defined by what is acceptable in particular social contexts. In that respect, I would argue that "me" is more acceptable than "I" in the given context.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:00 am
@fresco,

sparklyfirefly is correct; using a word or phrase's appropriateness, most always, trumps it's correctness.
"Jule and I at the zoo." - is technically correct; a comma after "I" would make it grammatically correct; and writing 'are at' would make it properly correct.
'Jule and me at the zoo.' - is somewhat, more appropriate.
Nonetheless, if you feel it's awkward, using clearer composition is most always the way to go.
''Here, I'm killing time at the zoo with Jule.'' (Expand the obvious.)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 10:03 am
I would write "me at the zoo" if it was a picture of, for example, me at the zoo. If the picture included a second person, I would either put their name first followed by 'and' like this: Julie and me at the zoo, or after, like this: Me and Julie at the zoo.
contrex

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:37 am
@contrex,

A picture of me
A picture of me at the zoo
A picture of me and Julie at the zoo
A picture of Julie and me at the zoo

I wouldn't write or say 'a picture of I'
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:55 am
I'd make the assumption and take the phrase to mean "this is Jule and me at the zoo." In that regard, one wouldn't say "this is Jule and I at the zoo."
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:05 pm
@sparklyfirefly,
It would have to be something like "Jule and I are seen here at the zoo." and it would have to be explicit for 'I' to be correct.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 10:45 pm
@sparklyfirefly,

My rule of thumb is, pretend the other person isn’t involved, and write whatever you would say if it were only you: ie “I am going to… “ or “Me at the zoo”.

Jtt: That's not a good rule of thumb. It's well known but it's fallacious.

Jtt: It isn't incorrect.
0 Replies