What does artefact mean here? It looks confusing.

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 01:02 am

Context:
“It’s amazing. I would have never thought external stress could have this effect,” says Yoshiki Sasai, a stem-cell researcher at the RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology in Kobe, Japan, and a co-author of the latest studies. It took Haruko Obokata, a young stem-cell biologist at the same centre, five years to develop the method and persuade Sasai and others that it works. “Everyone said it was an artefact— there were some really hard days,” says Obokata.
MOre:

http://www.nature.com/news/acid-bath-offers-easy-path-to-stem-cells-1.14600
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 464 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 04:47 am
I think that in this context, it means a result which is not coming from the object being studied, but coming from the experimental technique or the machines being used to do the experiment. Another example of using artifact this way might be if an x-ray showed a structure that indicated that you were sick, but the object in the image was made by the x-ray machine and not really present in your body.
oristarA

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:16 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I think that in this context, it means a result which is not coming from the object being studied, but coming from the experimental technique or the machines being used to do the experiment. Another example of using artifact this way might be if an x-ray showed a structure that indicated that you were sick, but the object in the image was made by the x-ray machine and not really present in your body.

So could we think that the artefact is the result of human intervention?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 09:44 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

So could we think that the artefact is the result of human intervention?

A result of the experimental process.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 10:06 pm
@oristarA,
I know the word as artifact, not artefact. Similar to Brandon, dismissable stuff.
0 Replies